Notices

Was sober 2 years and screwed it up

Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was sober 2 years and screwed it up

Hey gang - well, it looks like I am "that guy".

I had completely moved on from alcohol back around this time in 2012 and was sober for over 2 years. Then I started online dating and the very first girl asks 'you want to get a beer'.

I had one and thought I was ok. Then another one and I ended up at a bar, had a couple, another we had a few. I knew it was bad when after a date and having a few beers, dropping her off, then walking back to a bar alone to "finish the job". That was last spring - it escalated fast.

So here I am, on day 2 of quitting again.

The first time I quit my life was a complete and total disaster. Unemployed, living with family, single etc.

While sober I managed to get a great job, new place of my own and a new car - if I keep drinking I'll lose all of it, and that cannot happen.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back MustStop...I'm glad you're back on the right track
My advice is be a non drinker to everyone you meet...it gets less complicated that way
D
Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee - that actually has me worried, as my work functions involve a lot of drinking. I need to come up with a "medical reason" as to my abrupt stoppage.

Anyone know the best excuses?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
oak

Glad you're posting and getting support. At least you have two years of experience of sobriety. I think that makes getting sober again easier. I'm guessing that the sooner you quit, the easier it will be.

I've relapsed after years sober. I know it's hard.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi MustStop, if you make up a medical reason there will always be probing questions from someone and the fibs will get bigger and bigger.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi MustStop, if you make up a medical reason there will always be probing questions from someone and the fibs will get bigger and bigger.
I'll deal with it.

"I don't drink" was a contributing factor in getting fired after just 28 days at a job I had back in 2012.

There are hundreds of medical related reasons for not being able to have alcohol, allergies etc
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't help with excuses. 'I don't drink' has always served me well. If that got you fired, it wasn't the job for you, man.

D
Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Medical reason: Drinking makes me breakout in handcuffs!!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Two years was awesome so you know you can do it! Don't beat yourself up! Dating sucks and often puts us in risky situations. It has me!!! One of my daughters told me she doesn't drink because she feels uncomfortable losing self control. That was the best answer I ever heard! As far as medical reasons, well, almost every medication says do not drink alcohol so maybe try that. It is really nobody's business anyways. Good luck and stay strong!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk muststop congrats on day 2
Old 01-27-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How fantastic that you now know the result. You could have gone four, five, ten years sober, and always wondered, perhaps ruining things far worse than you can imagine. Yet now, not TOO much damage is done yet, and you have stopped. Sure, a few weeks of detox and headaches and feeling crap, but it will soon pass. Welcome back to your sober and successful life.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The excuse I use IF PRESSED is true - "I don't want to waste the calories." Of course, it is a minor reason compared to the fact that I am an alcoholic who does not want any more Day Ones, but it is also true that drinking triggers my appetite.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Dang, I ran into that a few times too when starting to date online - lots of women asked "should we meet for a beer"? And I was so torn up about it. Not sure how I managed to say "NO", but your story confirms that it was a good idea.

Glad to have you here, congrats on Day 2. You'll get back on track in no time, just keep doing what kept you sober the first go-round. We're here to help you out and support you.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. Relationships are complicated enough without starting them with a lie. If she doesn't call back because you don't drink then I don't think it was going to work.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome back
I agree with Dee...any job that let you go due to you stating you don't drink, wasn't a good fit.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My new neighbor stopped over last night to talk about a natural gas line he has having put in. He mentioned my coming over some time in the near future with my partner for a drink. I told him that my partner drank but I didn't. I told him "the world is a safer place when I don't drink" and a soda was my drink of choice. I'm open with my not drinking and open about being in recovery. It might surprise you to realize how many of us are actually out there. I'm hoping over time more and more people will feel okay talking openly about our choice to not drink. I think to just say you don't drink is ok. Generally it is only an alcoholic who will question you as to why not.....and you don't want to work for an alcoholic anyway
Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't think you need to make excuses. Virtually no one in my life knows I'm in recovery -- I can count on one hand those who do, only the very closest people to me, and I'm well over two years in.

Most of the time, I don't even say "I don't drink," I simply ask for a soda, or whatever else I want. If someone asks about it, I will confirm that I don't drink, but I don't get into why. If they do then ask why, I consider that a rude question, and I don't feel any pressure to answer it. It's very rare that someone asks me the reason.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MustStop View Post
I'll deal with it.

"I don't drink" was a contributing factor in getting fired after just 28 days at a job I had back in 2012.

There are hundreds of medical related reasons for not being able to have alcohol, allergies etc
I'm sorry if this is explained ...but I just know that I have to be honest with myself to be in recovery. Yeah, lies were what I did drinking ....I'm not hurting anyone ....I don't drink THAT much ......Doctor? Oh, yeah I have a couple glasses of wine with dinner. Yep! That was me in my addiction. My life, that burden of the lies, Life is so much better with being truthful & upfront. That's just me though.
Bobbi
Old 01-28-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there, I would just like to share my experience regarding my addiction.

When im still an alcoholic it feels like I am stuck into something. Motivation is down to zero. I can't even think straight Depression is really hitting me whenever im not drinking. I know it is already an addiction and it's affecting my work family and everything. It almost ruined my life. Then I realize that I need to find a way to stop this and Some colleagues recommending me some websites though, pertaining to addiction rehab, they are plenty of them Like this Drug Abuse Rehabilitation Yonkers. for example that somehow I managed to finish reading it I learned a lot like steps in recovery and how will you done It. I also follow my friends advises. I am now back to my normal life again.

anyway, glad that you are a sober again. congrats
Old 01-29-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

There is a lot of good to your story whether you believe it or not... You decided to get back on the wagon before you spiraled back out of control towards your past history with drinking... You have 2 years of sober knowledge so you know how things work and can work if you make it work.... So now its up to you. Make your sober living life style work and feel good about the life you have.