Notices

very worried. i need to stop.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

very worried. i need to stop.

my first post here. i want to state up front: i have an alcohol problem. not sure how bad it is and while i may not drink that much, im tired of this stuff affecting my life.

i dont drink everyday... prob average 2 times a weeks. i only drink beer and never drink liquor. but my drinking gets me into trouble.

i used to drink a lot more when i was younger but i stopped it when my 30 y/o wife was diagnosed with terminal illness. i didnt drink while she was sick for a few years since i had to take care of her. after she died two years ago, i drink 2 times a week. i also have four little kids... all younger than 10. so needless to say, i dont drink much at all during the week. the alcohol, i guess, helped me against the depression and sadness of my dying wife and having to carry my family through the whole ordeal.

on sat night i had at most 10 light beers over a 10 hour period. i was pretty drunk - i didnt blackout or the like but was messed up. i dont have a very high tolerance.

sunday was spent recovering from a mild/moderate hangover. yesterday and today my anxiety has been real bad. btw, i have a history of anxiety and panic attacks.

i know i read that alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous... if i decide to stop drinking once and for all, should i be concerned with withdrawal given my frequency of drinking?

im sick of this feeling and am ready to battle this disease before it gets me into trouble.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

turbopirate, alcohol is powerful, baffling and cunning. I am much like you in that alcohol drives my anxiety through the roof. It really doesn't matter how much or how little I drink, it has such power over me that it makes me feel terrible for days afterwards. Unfortunately, it also takes away that anxiety. so it very hard to realize that the poison is also the cure.

The last time I quit, I was drinking on average 3 times a week, maybe 3 -4 drinks a night. Oddly enough, that will put me in the top 20% of alcohol consumption.

Even at that rate of consumption, It is taking me close to 3 months to feel better. And I am still having some tough days when the stresses of life get to me. In reality, the episodes of feeling like death last much less, but there are certainly times when the anxiety comes back up and I have to focus, breathe, make some plans to go to a meeting, or just let it pass.

I wish you the best of luck, and most people here who have made the decision to quit will assure you that once you get enough time sober, your moods will settle down, and you will feel so much better.

It is hard to say about the withdrawal, for me I had little withdrawal, but the PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) has been challenging at times.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If drink is causing you trouble then it is probably best to stop. I too drank to medicate my depression...and it worked until it didn't. There is proper medication to treat depression, perhaps that may be a better road to travel.

I'm sorry you lost your wife at such a young age. I'm sure raising four small children is overwhelming at times. It will probably be more manageable without alcohol.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Turbopirate

Everyone's different with withdrawal - some are fine some are not - if you're anxious or concerned it will do no harm to get checked out by a Dr.

I don't think it matters how much you drink or how often - if it's a problem for you and you want to stop, you've come to a great place for support

I'm sorry for your loss too, but I'm sure those little kids need you

Welcome to SR

D
Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your wife. I'm sure you want to be the best father to your four children and that being sober will help you to do that.

We understand how hard this is, and we're here for support.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The worst thing you can possible do if you have anxiety is drink alcohol. trust me I know. It makes your anxiety so much worse.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh btw with withdrawl. I agree seeing a dr. They may even give you Valium or something which will help a lot.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Quit now. This is a progressive disease. Don't wait to get to the point I was at. And I was worried about withdrawal for years. I was probably using it as an excuse. Go talk to a doctor and quit drinking.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome turbo - it's great to have you here with us.

I'm sorry for the pain you had to endure. You're wise to be taking a hard look at the danger signs. You can't always predict what will happen when it gets in your system - that's cause for concern. I didn't pay attention to the warnings and continued playing with it until I had destroyed my life. This won't happen to you.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome Turbo! you will find lots of support here. Alcohol was causing me problems too even though I wouldn't always drink every day. Problem was when I had one I wanted more and more. If you feel it has power over you then stopping would be a good thing- just take it a day at a time
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the loss of your wife.
I bet 4 kids is wonderful but hard work at times!
Do you have help with them?

Drink caused me massive anxiety. Although it took a few years to realise. Before I did realise, I would drink, feel anxious the nest day, then drink more to get rid of the anxiety.

It can become a cycle that is dangerous, harmful and difficult to stop.
However I think recognising it is important.

Why do you think you drink?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Turbopirate
Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Turbopirate!!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for you loss, Turbopirate. Glad you are here and seeking help for your drinking.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hate anxiety. Its tough to concentrate. I'm very irritable. I lose my cool to quick. I fear losing things today because I have lost so much in the past... mainly, my late wife. She kept me grounded. Unfortunately, today, those I love take the brunt of the abuse. And when I say abuse, I don't mean it in a literal sense but in a more soft quasi sense. I need to be more patient with them and, definitely, more loving. I spend a lot of time with them already but I need to do better.

The more I think about it: I don't believe my anxiety has much to do with alcohol withdrawal but just stress itself.

I am a mentally tough person that has done very well in life but this monster is one of the toughest challenges I have ever had. And its kicking my ass. Im ready to fight back.

I am glad to be here.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Be patient and kind to yourself as you heal turbo. We're glad you're here too.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by turbopirate View Post
I hate anxiety. Its tough to concentrate. I'm very irritable. I lose my cool to quick. I fear losing things today because I have lost so much in the past... mainly, my late wife. She kept me grounded. Unfortunately, today, those I love take the brunt of the abuse. And when I say abuse, I don't mean it in a literal sense but in a more soft quasi sense. I need to be more patient with them and, definitely, more loving. I spend a lot of time with them already but I need to do better.

The more I think about it: I don't believe my anxiety has much to do with alcohol withdrawal but just stress itself.

I am a mentally tough person that has done very well in life but this monster is one of the toughest challenges I have ever had. And its kicking my ass. Im ready to fight back.

I am glad to be here.
I'm glad you are here too.

I have 1 daughter. She is 5. I am a single mum.
She never seems to stop talking or stop moving.
I have to take a deep breath sometimes when she won't go to bed, I have work to do, washing to do, clothes to put away, the house is knee deep in Barbies and she wants to play for just '5 more minutes please?'

I think alcohol made me more stressed in that if I was hungover I felt anxious and guilty. Especially if I couldn't keep up with her due to drinking.

I think now I have told myself drinking is not an option anymore, I have to employ other strategies to cope.
I try not to feel guilty, but as a parent I think you always do.

I make sure I try to get enough sleep, eat well etc.
I try ring a friend or have a rare afternoon on my own at the weekend if I feel I need it.

Try not to beat yourself up.
You have so much to contend with.

Sometimes before I go to sleep, I think to myself what have I achieved today.
I never feel overly proud if I have cleaned the whole house or hit a deadline at work.
I ALWAYS feel proud when I have done something good with my daughter.
Some days that might only be that I have told her how much I love her while she's falling asleep.

Keep going, you are doing great.

xx