Notices

day 2 of 120

Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2 of 120

I have promised my wife, told my buddies, and anyone else that will listen that I will now be booze-free for the next 4 months (starting yesterday). How many times have I failed previously? Oh goodness, I can't count that high.

I have cleaned the house of beer and empty cans. I joined the gym, have established a work-out routine, have begun journaling, have signed up for "Setting Captives Free" (a 60-day online course about addiction) and truly feel as well equipped as I've ever been.

My marriage depends on this.
My own self-esteem depends on this (when I fail, I beat myself relentlessly as a failure).
I feel like my entire life depends on this. I so want to be able to stand there on the 121st day and say I DID THIS.

(before you ask - no, I don't intend to hit the sauce on day 121. For my brain, I do require a start and finish. I am with the mindset that if I can go that long, I can go as long as I want. 4 years. 4 decades. There will be no point at stopping at that point, as it will be indicative of my abilities to do it, and I will then move forward sober. Hope that makes a little sense. Just telling me to quit forever seems inconceivably impossible).

Anyway, just an intro post - hope to be around often...
Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are here to support you, ttugrad, 24/7/365.

Lean on us as much as you need.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Sounds like you've made some good changes already. Congrats on day 2!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I applaud you for taking it seriously. Your life will be much better.I am on day one. I know it is hard! STAY STRONG!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are giving it a serious go, I'm pulling for you to get to your goal and beyond. It is true that time heals all wounds, I can attest to the fact that time was my biggest enemy. Once I got past 120 days I had a lot of strength to stay stopped, I would just caution to stay focused to get 7 or 8 months in. If you make it that far you will truly be getting into solid sobriety. You can do it.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back ttugrad1793

Best wishes. Why not check out a Class support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-13.html

Daily check ins, and reaching out for support when needed, can really help

D
Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you ttugrad. You sound motivated - please stay with us and keep posting. You're in great company.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back ttugrad1793

Best wishes. Why not check out a Class support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-13.html

Daily check ins, and reaching out for support when needed, can really help

D
This
Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

day 3 and doing well. No massive cravings. Much, much mediation and calm is required, however. I've been running "Meditative Radio" through Pandora past two days, and it enables me to simply stay lucid and calm. It's work-out night tonight, so will hit that hard, and then hit the hay. On to day 4.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done ttugrad1793. I'm on day 1 and in a similar situation. I've got a loving family etc but prefer not to share all with. I'm going to the gym every day and playing squash once a week. I've never tried Medative Radio,so interested as to how you get on. Good luck and keep going
Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by M88RHM View Post
Well done ttugrad1793. I'm on day 1 and in a similar situation. I've got a loving family etc but prefer not to share all with. I'm going to the gym every day and playing squash once a week. I've never tried Medative Radio,so interested as to how you get on. Good luck and keep going
it's just Pandora.com, and then for the station, type in Classical or Meditative, or even Nature Sounds. They're all tremendously soothing. I tend to crank up rock music throughout a day, which is fine, but especially late in the day, I've found it very useful to turn on some very soothing music, refocus, have a prayer, and ready myself for after work (kids, etc).

Feeling good. I haven't "overslept" in years and years, but sure enough, I have overslept the past 4 straight days. It's felt WONDERFUL to sleep as well as I have.

Day 4 is ready for a butt kicking.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Greatest hits

Originally Posted by ttugrad1793 View Post
I have promised my wife, told my buddies, and anyone else that will listen that I will now be booze-free for the next 4 months (starting yesterday). How many times have I failed previously? Oh goodness, I can't count that high.

I have cleaned the house of beer and empty cans. I joined the gym, have established a work-out routine, have begun journaling, have signed up for "Setting Captives Free" (a 60-day online course about addiction) and truly feel as well equipped as I've ever been.

My marriage depends on this.
My own self-esteem depends on this (when I fail, I beat myself relentlessly as a failure).
I feel like my entire life depends on this. I so want to be able to stand there on the 121st day and say I DID THIS.

(before you ask - no, I don't intend to hit the sauce on day 121. For my brain, I do require a start and finish. I am with the mindset that if I can go that long, I can go as long as I want. 4 years. 4 decades. There will be no point at stopping at that point, as it will be indicative of my abilities to do it, and I will then move forward sober. Hope that makes a little sense. Just telling me to quit forever seems inconceivably impossible).

Anyway, just an intro post - hope to be around often...
Just checking on you. This thread and all your others really resonate with me. Can you update on your journey with drink.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR inthelightfinal

Feel free to start your own thread, if you like, too

D
Old 06-23-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)