Notices

I'm a sponsor who "relapsed"? Slipped?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation I'm a sponsor who "relapsed"? Slipped?

I had 2 1/2 years and was sponsoring several ladies. I work an NA program because pain killers were my drug of choice but I also work AA because that's the dominant fellowship in my area. I've had many back surgeries, my 2nd really major one Nov 11, 2014. I wasn't coping with the pain well and for a week I didn't let anyone monitor and dispense my meds like I had been. I took more than was prescribed because my tolerance is so damn high that the doctors couldn't prescribe enough. I got so sick of being in so much pain I was constantly on the verge of vomitting. So like I said, I took what I needed to get some relief. When I told my sponsor about it, she said I needed to resign from any servicde positions and I needed to send my sponsees to someone else so I could go back to step one and start all over. I prayerfully considered and decided to tell my sponsees what happened and let them decide, which my sponsor agreed to. One of my girls told me today that she needed someone more available because I have not been with her much since my surgery. Then she informed me that there was talk about me in our area- which I suspected. I don't know what is to be expected.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MissNiki

You posted in our Stories of Recovery forum which is specifically for stories of recovery of one year or more, and which does not allow for feedback.

You'll find more response here

Dee
SR
Old 01-25-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I apologize
Old 01-25-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

no apology required

D
Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissNiki623 View Post
I had 2 1/2 years and was sponsoring several ladies. I work an NA program because pain killers were my drug of choice but I also work AA because that's the dominant fellowship in my area. I've had many back surgeries, my 2nd really major one Nov 11, 2014. I wasn't coping with the pain well and for a week I didn't let anyone monitor and dispense my meds like I had been. I took more than was prescribed because my tolerance is so damn high that the doctors couldn't prescribe enough. I got so sick of being in so much pain I was constantly on the verge of vomitting. So like I said, I took what I needed to get some relief. When I told my sponsor about it, she said I needed to resign from any servicde positions and I needed to send my sponsees to someone else so I could go back to step one and start all over. I prayerfully considered and decided to tell my sponsees what happened and let them decide, which my sponsor agreed to. One of my girls told me today that she needed someone more available because I have not been with her much since my surgery. Then she informed me that there was talk about me in our area- which I suspected. I don't know what is to be expected.
Ultimately only you can decide if you slipped. I take it when the pain subsided you stopped with the pills.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe if your sponsor had your physical pain she wouldn't be dispensing such advice. This is one of the major reasons I go to maybe 1/2 a meeting a month nowadays.

I hope you feel better soon. Best of luck.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ya didn't drink AA has no opion on outside issues
Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you took medicine, and didn't abuse it I see no reason for you being questioned. However since it was your drug of choice I can see why some may be skeptical. If it is the former and not the latter it is time for you to seek a different group of council. I am an alcoholic and if I get the flu I am damn sure drinking theraflu or nyquil to ease my suffering. If my support group thinks I am relapsing, well only I know that for sure.

If they are my friends they will know the answer too, because they will talk to me about it.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Ken

Nice to meet you
Old 01-26-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think i would have appreciation for my sponsor if he told me what I needed to do.
I had a very serious back surgery myself. Quite a few different meds were prescribed as I think my doctor knew I'd prolly try and get out and fire up the chainsaw or something after a couple days.
Anyways, there was a tie in there the pain had me in tears. Called my sponsor. He said," Tom, I've never had back surgery and I'm not your doctor so I don't know what's goo for you there. Call yer doctor."
And there were quite a few people that let their egos fly with their opinions about me taking pains meds for something they have no clue about showing their ignorance.
What's to be expected. Depends. If yer referring to what others expect, it's not their problem and thir expectations aren't your problem.

Question- what was the motive again for taking the extra meds? To get Out of the misery of life or to relieve miserable physical pain?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(more than prescribed) - usually means relapse ??

I took more than was prescribed

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post

Ultimately only you can decide if you slipped.
Well -- that sure does sound good
but -- the facts are that
sometimes we are fooling ourselves
seems that once we take (more than prescribed)
we would not be clean and sober

many years ago now with two weeks short of three years clean and sober
I had some terrible stomach pains
the doctor prescribed pain meds
the first night I took more than prescribed
I knew in my heart and mind that I had lost my sobriety
in short time I also drank with the liquid devil
fell short of receiving my 3 year token

a fool is one who fools themself

MM
Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Well -- that sure does sound good
but -- the facts are that
sometimes we are fooling ourselves
seems that once we take (more than prescribed)
we would not be clean and sober

many years ago now with two weeks short of three years clean and sober
I had some terrible stomach pains
the doctor prescribed pain meds
the first night I took more than prescribed
I knew in my heart and mind that I had lost my sobriety
in short time I also drank with the liquid devil
fell short of receiving my 3 year token

a fool is one who fools themself

MM
Generally speaking I don't question anyone's sobriety because only they know where their head was at.

If a member is going to lie to themselves or to the group there's nothing I can do.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post

If a member is going to lie to themselves or to the group there's nothing I can do.
true, there is nothing that we can or should do
but, I would never wish to help another so as to
deceive themselves yet again

seems self deception has brought us much trouble in the past ?

MM
Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you sleep comfortably at night knowing you didn't relapse? That's my barometer, if I can, all is ok, if I can't, I need to look at me again.....
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

First, I'm not in any way giving permission here. Everyone's pain level is different. Had you discussed this with your doctor, they may have prescribed more. As long as you can stop, I see no problem. Only you can decide if you can stop.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
First, I'm not in any way giving permission here. Everyone's pain level is different. Had you discussed this with your doctor, they may have prescribed more. As long as you can stop, I see no problem. Only you can decide if you can stop.
Good commonsense reply.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As your thread starts with question marks I suppose you're garnering opinions or trying to make up your own mind about whether you slipped, relapsed or both. I suppose were using the term slip as a short term doing what you shouldn't issue as opposed to "going out".

No one can judge that except for you and your HP. You know the answer.

Anecdotally, I am wondering if perhaps you should consider a 4th step? Are you resentful about 'there's been talk about me?" Sound like maybe there's something there to consider. "I don't know what is to be expected?"
Well, what are your expectations towards others and yourself?

I know for me I projected a lot of chatter in my brain about what other thought about me. It really drilled down to being comfortable in my own skin as we all have learned and you already know I am sure.

I hope your back is getting better and you come to grips with whatever you feel you should work on. 2 1/2 years is amazing!!! Don't let this hiccup stop you, grow from it I would keep working with you, for what it's worth.......Sounds like you were attempting to be rigorously honest!

Kind Regards,
Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I'd be p'd off if those I trusted and respected were judging me unfairly because of their own ignorance and insecurity too. Not acceptable or excusable. This is their problem, not yours. This is a medical issue, not an addiction issue.

Stay close to medical advice and work with your doctor.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've had two total hip replacements within the past two years, nine months apart. I was sober for each procedure, but like a good alcoholic, I waited until the pain was unbearable and until I had serious problems just sitting down, to say nothing of walking. This despite friends who had the same surgery advising me that I would hate myself for waiting so long. (As a side note, I quickly experienced full range of motion, and resumed intensive training in martial arts and began cycling between sixty and ninety minutes each day/night, five to six times each week. My only regret is that, as my friends suggested, I didn't get the work done sooner.)

That aside, I was pumped with major painkillers while in the hospital, and then again during an unnecessary two weeks in a rehab facility. When I was discharged from the rehab, a prescribing nurse asked me about getting a script to take home with me. I was in no pain, and have never been addicted to painkillers, so I told her that it wouldn't be necessary. She was beaming after my response, and complimented me on my declining the painkillers. Big mistake. I experienced intermittent pain that didn't respond fully to mega-doses of Ibuprofen, and I suffered horrible withdrawal symptoms for several days. I looked up the drug, and the warnings explicitly stated that under no conditions should a person stop taking the meds abruptly. I immediately thought that the nurse was incompetent and that I was remiss in not asking her the right questions about the meds.

The withdrawals came and went, and I moved on with my life.

Going into the second surgery (again, nine months later), I was now better informed about how to manage my meds, and had learned that I didn't need a formal rehab. (My surgeon uses a procedure that hasn't quite caught on yet in the States...There's less moving and cutting of the muscles, less bleeding, less pain, and therefore a shorter rehab.) Pumped up with painkillers again in the hospital, I declined inpatient rehab, but this time took the script home with me. The prescribing nurse strongly suggested that I take the pills with me and that I follow her instructions around weaning off the meds.

Early on in the weaning process, I started to feel high after taking my pills, and assumed that meant my pain had at least partially subsided. Having gone through withdrawals following my previous surgery, I had no conflict with continuing to wean off the meds as the nurse instructed. The high lasted until I finished my meds. I didn't go through withdrawals beyond a bit of fogginess, I didn't have cravings for more pills, and I had no plans to get another script.

Was this a relapse on my part because I enjoyed the high while weaning off my meds? Was it a relapse on your part because you also (may have) enjoyed the high of your prescribed meds which provided pain relief, and because you also used painkillers in the past in order to self-medicate?

Maybe I was just lucky, but I also was very much aware of why I was taking the meds, what effect they might have on me, and that I would reach out for support if I thought that any of this became a problem. When I was going through withdrawals following my first surgery, this is exactly what I did. I spoke frequently with two sober friends, and it made my withdrawals at least a bit more tolerable. My sober friends knew about my surgeries and were always available to help when I needed them.

For me, a relapse is more about the person's intention than the effect of the drug. Though I looked forward to the high that came with taking my meds while I was weaning off them, I didn't regret not having more drugs when the process was over.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Anecdotally, I am wondering if perhaps you should consider a 4th step? Are you resentful about 'there's been talk about me?" Sound like maybe there's something there to consider. "I don't know what is to be expected?" Well, what are your expectations towards others and yourself?
She has every right to be resentful IMO. She is being subjected to cheap high school level gossip. AA at its worst. I've seen it many times.