Notices

I'm a sponsor who "relapsed"? Slipped?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As Smokey the Sober Bear says "Only you can prevent relapses!" jk

No there really isn't a Smokey the sober bear so don't worry folks. What I was going to originally say is only YOU know if you truly relapsed. The people who responded are giving good advice on how to figure that out.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Might be good to approach the mirror
and be honest with one's self
MM
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I've had a similar issue with pain while healing. It went on for 9 weeks and I can attest to the need to take what you've been prescribed AS prescribed but, if I'm reading you right, there could be reasons not involving addiction you surpassed that. If you wait until the last minute trying to be "strong," the muscles are going to tense and a vicious type of pain cycle will set in in addition to what meds have been prescribed for making you feel like you need more of them. I suspect, but can't know of course... only you can do that, that this is what's already happened. Call your doctor and do what he/she says and screw judgmental, gossiping, high school BS. You may need muscle relaxants now in addition to the pain meds. That's what happened to me. Personally, I could never trust a sponsor who handled this situation that way. There are legitimate physical needs that don't involve addiction. Seriously, this is stress you DO NOT need when dealing with the physical stuff you're dealing with. Aren't there any people around you who don't have personal issues?

I'm going to share one story. I went to the ER after three days laying in bed with excrutiating pain. The doctor sent me home with diurnal and a strong lecture "Don't lay there and suffer."

So, just saying... talk to your doctor when it involves pain. Talk to your sponsor when it involves addiction.... and don't get them mixed up unless your sponsor is willing to admit they aren't experts in all areas.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

One of my girls told me today that she needed someone more available because I have not been with her much since my surgery. Then she informed me that there was talk about me in our area- which I suspected. I don't know what is to be expected.
Good riddance to a disloyal apple. She should be here for you while you are having health issues the same way you were here for her when she got sober and her reporting some gossip to you is completely out of line.
A loyal sponsee would tell them off or at least not listen to gossip and would not distress you with that crap when you are in pain.
One thing I was taught which took me a bit to process but is really useful is:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"
The whispering and gossiping about your health issues is a reflection of their character, not yours. Keep on trucking.