Notices

Can I find someone to meet me at AA?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I find someone to meet me at AA?

Pretty self explanatory title.. I'm so scared to go alone. Is there a way to get in touch with someone from the meetings?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Typically you can call the central office and they might be helpful. Alternatively consider attending an open meeting and take a friend or family member with you.

Glad you're here !
Old 01-25-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Someone from aa took me to my first meeting

I agree with Fly's advice
Old 01-26-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.

As stated call the local AA # and explain the situation as honestly as you can, they will understand.
Often they have member lists for this and other situations and people to volunteer.

AAs primary mission is for us to stay sober and help other alcoholics.

BE WELL
Old 01-26-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd recommend asking a friend or family member if possible. You can attend an open meeting and sit in the back if you like. Go to a few different meetings and you'll find they often vary in flavor. Find one or two you feel comfortable attending and take it from there.

Best of luck.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Go online and call the number for your city or county, they will have a woman meet you!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've volunteered at the AA central office in my hometown and they had a list of people who are willing to help out newcomers. I had one girl call the hotline who was really scared and had no idea what to do, and we were able to arrange for another woman out to go pick her up and take her to her first meeting.

I'd try calling them and seeing what they can do to help. They aren't going to judge you or anything - the people there have been there and really want to help you out.

For what it's worth, I was terrified when I was heading to my first meeting. My wife came with me - I don't know if I'd have made it there on my own. Once my first meeting was done, I was already looking forward to the next one. Going to AA has been one of the best things I've ever done.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to my very first AA meeting with a nurse I met in hospital when I was having a detox. He ran the local AA meeting in the area, I didn't really want to go but even after the first meeting I found it so helpful. When you get there, ask someone if they're a friend of Bill W's and if they say yes, they'll happily stick with you