Notices

Habit - Mental Craving vs Physical

Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with D
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

On to day 2. Seems kind of silly to "celebrate" that but I haven't been able to say that I made it this far in a few years. Woke up feeling pretty good and looked in the mirror and told myself I am choosing not to drink today. Kids behaved pretty well for me this morning and looking forward to a productive day at work and then afterwards. My family and I are visiting friends later this week for a long weekend and I am concerned about that but I want to spend these days sober so I can remember them. Thanks again to everyone. I am not good at sitting still so staying busy isn't usually an issue; it's staying busy without my vodka and water right next to me at all times.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrapezeFreak View Post
The other problem is that every damn thing I do is associated with the drink.
It's time for you to create a new daily routine, perhaps? At least, switch up some things and focus on finding passion for some old hobbies or new ones. Little things like taking walks outside, eating a treat and having a seltzer with juice, watching a movie, reading a book... those all can work to distract yourself through this difficult initial period of sobriety.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 3 and I feel I am ready for it. Last night I had a lot of triggers but staved them all of and managed to stay sober and not go out to the garage (this is where I go to drink). I fought through it and am glad I did. I have a day of work to get through and then a trip with my family to see friends. I look forward to getting in the car tomorrow after another sober night so I don't have to fight the anxiety of bad choices from the night before. I wish you all a great and sober day. I will most definitely be checking in while on my mini vacation for support. Thanks again.

TrapezeFreak
Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Really feeling urges tonight. I need to be out in the garage packing our car for the trip. The kids are in bed and the wife won't be far behind. I know this is one of those change your routine moments but this is tough. Normally any time spent in the garage working is accompanied by a drink. The problem with my routine is that it is one of great productivity it just tends to be done while getting further and further faded. I want to accomplish this straight so I can be in a good place in the morning. Hoping to stay strong.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Think of how much easier the trip will be without the dreaded anxiety and/or depression.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My issue has always been "the easy way out", not chemical dependance. If I would have kept up my habits, it would have lead to that for sure.

When I get bored, I am bored. I don't have to fix it right now. It doesn't take very long once catching a buzz isn't an option that you find things to do, naturally.

I wasn't born wanting to be buzzed, I did things to occupy my hyper body and mind. Then I found alcohol and stopped seeking outside stimulant. A buzz is easier to obtain. Doesn't make it good though.

I finally realized I didn't want the easy way out. I wanted to be me, boredom, pain, and all...just as I was born. It sucks some times, but not as bad as being desperate to stop hurting myself.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Della and Mikie for responding tonight. I am in a good place and made it for now. Gonna try and rest up. Will check in tomorrow hopefully as I keep moving on. Big tests coming in the next few days.