Notices

Update - Feeling really tranquil and content

Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update - Feeling really tranquil and content

Hi all,

This morning I was feeling down, depressed and not motivated in any way. My kids (two girls 5 and 12 (almost 13)) were fighting and work was boring. I was feeling at a loss.

I decided to just close the doors (after the kids were dealt with) and meditate. I've never attempted it seriously. This time I decided to. I downloaded a random app off Google play and followed the guided mediation.

After this I felt relaxed, my stress dissolved and I was generally in a better place. To celebrate I went for a walk down the road and got a quick hair cut. The walk was great. While I was waiting I was also reading articles on how to stop wanting everything. Materialism sucks and I know that continuously wanting stuff and not obtaining it just brings me down. Its really sunny here today and it is about to be a long weekend (Australia Day).

The result of this was even more calmness and feelings of happiness. It would be due to exercise and natural sunlight. (I'm a software developer and work at home most of the time without sun light).

Perhaps for those of you struggling, put yourself out of your comfort zone and try something like meditation or just going for a stroll in the sun (if you can).

I feel wonderful at the moment.

p.s Day 54 without Alcohol and day 3 without opiates :-)

Have a nice day / night all.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. Ive never meditated. Also cant justify using apps anymore...

but make it work my dude. goodjob
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suicideseason View Post
Good for you. Ive never meditated. Also cant justify using apps anymore...

but make it work my dude. goodjob

Thanks mate. First time I tried it seriously. Basically just turned the brain off.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 54 days sober SG & well done on day 3 also
Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It must be effective to block out the sound of squabbling children. Congratulations on your sobriety, and what seems like many positive lifestyle moves.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First congratulations on your 54/3!! I've read about meditation lots here on SR but just kind of rolled my eyes. After reading your post, now I'm curious. I may have to see what thats about. I'm newly sober and something tells me this is gonna be a long road. Need all the tools I can get!

Last edited by Tally809; 01-23-2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tally809 View Post
First congratulations on your 54/3!! I've read about meditation lots here on SR but just kind of rolled my eyes. After reading your post, now I'm curious. I may have to see what thats about. I'm newly sober and something tells me this is gonna be a long road. Need all the tools I can get!
I have been rolling my eyes at it for as long as I can remember. If you are anything like me , the way to approach it is to think about it as "turning the brain off".

Instead of trying to concentrate on "thinking about nothing" you try and "observe" your thoughts and just let them roll in and out.

I've only tried it the once and have a lot more practice to go, but honestly I found it helpful.

Thanks on the congrats