Notices

I am getting weak...

Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation I am getting weak...

I can feel it. I feel too in control of myself right now. I was in the gas station today and I looked over at the beer and I thought, "One day I may drink again."

The objects in the rearview mirror are getting further and further the stronger and better I feel. That can't be good. I know those objects are always closer than they appear. I don't know if I would call this craving, or just being so damn tempted.

Then there is still that night around Christmas time that I posted about on this form when I had three beers and was "under control". I sort of wish that never happened. You know why? Because now it's just my own ammunition when I try to rationalize drinking again to myself. "See you controlled it before." Not good. Because I know, just like all of you will tell me, that's not the case.

All it takes is one for three to become six. Six becomes 12, 12 becomes a three-week binge.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try to remember all the bad stuff...that's what I have to do. And there was plenty!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, sooner or later, everyone has to face those rationalisations again.

I'm personally glad I had them, because they were proof positive I was still sick.

Noone could look back over my life and sanely suggest I didn't have an alcohol problem.

I had night where I drank like a gentleman sure - but those times were dwarved by many many many other times when I did not....

D
Old 01-22-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, you just have to get a bit further down the sober road and you'll start to see those impulses subside.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I don't know how others see it, but I don't feel like I ever try to rationalize drinking.

I've learned to view my own thoughts objectively. Whenever I catch myself having one of those thoughts, I confront it.

It's like my AV says, "Look, alcohol! All you have to do is pop open the bottle and let loose again."

And I say to myself, "Ah, ah, ah. I don't think so. That's not how this works."

Sometimes I literally say it out loud.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do a step 1. Make a list of how your life became unmanageable. Read that list when you have those thoughts. Trust me , there is nothing left in that bottle for you!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try to remember everyone has those thoughts early in sobriety and even later on. You just need to make sure thoughts don't turn into actions. Try to take it one day at a time and not look at the big picture. Don't let the controlled drinking fool you either, because it sounds like you know it wont last long/end well.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Beers don't wave at normies.