Notices

I'm coming back

Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm coming back

I got sober when I was 19 years old for about 3 1/2 years. I relapsed and have been drinking ever since. I'm 31 now. When I first started up again I didn't have control but I guess it wasn't messing with my life like it was before. Then over the years I felt I had really gained "control" because there were nights when I only had one drink. I overlooked the fact that there were still plenty of nights when I didn't have control and would have bad nights and then wake up with the worst hangover ever. Last night was one of those nights. I don't remember driving home. I've been saying for over a year now that I need to get sober again but always giving in the second I crave a drink. I Am finally ready though. Even though at this point I don't drink that much, it only takes that one bad night for something bad to happen if I get behind the wheel. It was hard the first time and I feel it will be harder the second time. I know I'll have my husband to support me but I just hope I can keep the strength to keep my sobriety this time.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

Even though at this point I don't drink that much, it only takes that one bad night for something bad to happen if I get behind the wheel. It was hard the first time and I feel it will be harder the second time. I know I'll have my husband to support me but I just hope I can keep the strength to keep my sobriety this time.
Sounds to me like it might not be so bad this time. You got a bit more knowledge of this disease. It doesn't take one bad night for something bad to happen it takes 1 drink for something bad to happen. Taking just that 1 drink is the start of all the issues. Your also fortunate to have a husband who will support you.

its just one day at a time. and if you don't take that first drink you don't have to worry about if its gonna be the 1 bad night or not.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. You're absolutely right. One drink is what leads to that bad night.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome nice to meet you RF i got sober at 31 im 32 now & 18 months sober

Youl find a ton of supoort here
Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR rf

What's your plan?
D
Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, rfl, and congratulations on your decision to seek sobriety.

Glad you found SR.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think the AA big book says if you ever lost control of your drinking one time your an alcoholic.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum RF!!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rf1583 View Post
I got sober when I was 19 years old for about 3 1/2 years. I relapsed and have been drinking ever since. I'm 31 now. When I first started up again I didn't have control but I guess it wasn't messing with my life like it was before. Then over the years I felt I had really gained "control" because there were nights when I only had one drink. I overlooked the fact that there were still plenty of nights when I didn't have control and would have bad nights and then wake up with the worst hangover ever. Last night was one of those nights. I don't remember driving home. I've been saying for over a year now that I need to get sober again but always giving in the second I crave a drink. I Am finally ready though. Even though at this point I don't drink that much, it only takes that one bad night for something bad to happen if I get behind the wheel. It was hard the first time and I feel it will be harder the second time. I know I'll have my husband to support me but I just hope I can keep the strength to keep my sobriety this time.
Ah yes, the great obsession.
Ah yes, "Controlled" drinking
I remember those days!