Notices

Anyone have acute or chronic pacreantitis?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone have acute or chronic pacreantitis?

How did you deal with it?

Were there certain food that lowered the swelling permanently? Did it ever go away?

I have heard garlic is all around good for everything but esp. liver and pancreas. I started to think about it because before when I lived a normal life, I had a fast metabolism. Not if I 1 big meal, i am good for 24 hours.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kllme View Post
How did you deal with it?

Were there certain food that lowered the swelling permanently? Did it ever go away?

I have heard garlic is all around good for everything but esp. liver and pancreas. I started to think about it because before when I lived a normal life, I had a fast metabolism. Not if I 1 big meal, i am good for 24 hours.
I've got it. Acute.

Fortunately, haven't had an attack for quite some time. Its was directly related to my drinking. Not sure what the deal is, but I haven't had any problems (pancreas related) since the attack. Foolishly I began to drink heavily within a short period of time after being diagnosed. This is NOT a ticket to drink, began taking Digestive Enzymes everyday while drinking to fool myself that everything was would be fine.

I was lucky nothing happened.

As for food, nothing seems to be wrong in that department either, can eat whatever.

Here the stuff I was taking, maybe it can help you out.

'Pancreatin Plus Enzymes'

Goodluck.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-13-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: no commercial links please.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is that how it works, you just get occasional attacks? Intense pain. When I was reading up on it, it said you have to have a short hospital stay and be fed by an IV because to get the swelling down, you cant eat food.

Seems no one ever mentions the pancreas when discussing alcohol. I did a forum search on it and this thread was the only one that came up. Is it not that common?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'ts plenty common in heavy drinkers, and nothing to fool around with. I don't think the pancreas has the same ability to heal as liver, and once you start having problems, you are at high risk for having it turn chronic.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes!!! Be careful!!! I had two bouts with acute pancreatitis. First time I thought it was a gallbladder thing. Been sober six months since last one and have lost over 50 lbs. it's what pushed me over the edge to look in mirror.

I even got jaundice eyes. Bad pain - I can relate. I got through it at home on my own as my symptoms got progressively better. If you are in any doubt at all, get medical attention.

I did not, because I was still in dental, but I knew the answer. I knew the cause.

Hopefully, if you are like me this is a wake up call. If you've only had a bout or two you might have dodged a bullet. Please don't mess with it though. This isn't normal withdrawal.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kllme View Post
Is that how it works, you just get occasional attacks? Intense pain. When I was reading up on it, it said you have to have a short hospital stay and be fed by an IV because to get the swelling down, you cant eat food.

Seems no one ever mentions the pancreas when discussing alcohol. I did a forum search on it and this thread was the only one that came up. Is it not that common?
It's supposed to be extremely painful. So much so it requires narcotic analgesics.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is pain like no other. I did not get pain Ned's, but can see where people do.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

*meds
Old 01-14-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Chronic pancreatitis is common with heavy longterm drinking. Acute pancreatitis -- like an attack that comes on suddenly out of nowhere -- is most usually gallstones, and can require removal of the gallbladder. Acute pancreatitis isn't so much necessarily an alcohol-related thing, but is supposed to be extremely painful. My husband had a mild case of acute pancreatitis (if that makes any sense, which it doesn't to me, but that's what they said), non-alcohol-related, and he was hospitalized & had to stay on a liquid diet for several days.

I know a guy in AA with chronic pancreatitis from drinking and after 2 years it hasn't gone away completely but he suffers with it less.

Sorry I can't help more -- I hope you get some useful responses!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't had an attack since I stopped drinking.

If you have swelling you need to consult an MD - diet is not likely to be very effective.

D
Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can almost guarantee that any alcohol-related health problem goes away (or gets 95 % better) with complete abstinence, forever.

If we drink again they come back very quickly. This is why we can't drink ever again.

I used to want to solve my health problems and keep drinking. Took me years to finally just remove the CAUSE of my health problems.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I can almost guarantee that any alcohol-related health problem goes away (or gets 95 % better) with complete abstinence, forever.

If we drink again they come back very quickly. This is why we can't drink ever again.

I used to want to solve my health problems and keep drinking. Took me years to finally just remove the CAUSE of my health problems.
This has been my thought process. It is messing me up. Sober for 2 weeks and I feel like I am great; you can't even tell I have a problem. Then I drink for 2 weeks straight and I look and feel like complete crap.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a friend I met in detox who is actually in the hospital right now with another attack, she's been there a week. She relapsed hardcore this time.
She's also blind in one eye from a bad case of pancreatitis years ago.
Not good.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
I have a friend I met in detox who is actually in the hospital right now with another attack, she's been there a week. She relapsed hardcore this time.
She's also blind in one eye from a bad case of pancreatitis years ago.
Not good.
Sorry to hear.