Notices

Day 16 and struggling a bit

Old 01-11-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 16 and struggling a bit

I've been doing pretty good the last couple weeks after the initial cravings/urges passed. I've been going through diet cherry pepsi a lot in the evenings (normal drinking time for me) but I figure that's not so bad. I've been staying positive and my husband and friends have been very supportive. This last week though I've been staying up very late to help my husband with work stuff and I think the lack of sleep is getting to me and breaking my confidence in staying sober. I've cried more today than I have in 2 years. I am frustrated and I am overwhelmed with things that need to be done but I think being tired on top of that is just doing me in. I just keep thinking man if I could just have a drink to just numb it all just a little then I'd feel better. I'm literally about to cry again because I can't/won't. Any suggestions for getting through this? I know I WILL get through this but it sucks. A lot. My husband is so happy with me that I've quit drinking and while I don't want to disappoint myself by going back to basically self-medicating I really don't want to disappoint him. Definitely going to bed early tonight and hoping to get back on track thinking wise tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The sleep issue is so hard. It will pass it just takes time. Think of this, if you drink you'll have to go through it all again. i know for me it helped to really just not overdo it in the beginning. I watch a lot of light movies, light reading, comics- just easy fun stuff. Hang in there you can do this.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm nothing but a weepy mess myself when I'm overtired and stressed. Hope you can take a warm bath, sip some herbal tea and get to bed early tonight. Makes all the difference in the world for me.

Congratulations on 16 days! That's fantastic. Be honest with your H about your needs in early sobriety. You really need to take care of yourself. Food, sleep, exercise, time to read recovery materials, hang out here, go to mtgs if you're doing that.

Great to have you here!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found that after extended periods of not having even one day of being sober that when I stop for a few days/weeks I am much more weepy. I want to cry often.

I think that for me it is a letting go of all the emotions I have been drowning out that need to come up, be seen and let go of.

A few years ago, I had about one year of tears when I was not drinking. I have never cried so much in my life. I was sober and I was coming to terms with my life and all it had been and not been. And it was full on.

It was the best year and worst year of my life. I learnt a lot about how to manage life sober and I put away many demons of the past.

Shame I thought that it meant I was done being broken and that I could drink again..... :-)

Anyway, I feel that tears are a good healthy release. Give yourself some comforting words and treat yourself well, and most of all recognise the great stuff you are achieving.

x
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.

One of the AA guidelines is HALT.
It means try not to be HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONLEY or TIRED especially in the beginning of sobriety as they are major stumbling blocks.

BE WELL
Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

liz i had a hard time sleeping also at first. but i found for me i had to create a schedule and routine for sleep. i would go to bed at same time. i would also read a bit, surf web in bed before i go to sleep for about an hour. then i would turn the lights off and sleep. it took me a week or so for my body to get used to this new cycle. also do not take naps! that messed me up too.