17.75%
ISFP
4.51%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Personality Test - Myers Briggs

Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

ENFP.
Mine was pretty accurate, I'm really friendly and outgoing, but oddly withdrawn and introverted when drinking
Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Whenever I see these kinds of "self" tests, I can only think of the William James quote:

“Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is.”

― William James

Doesn't mean there is absolutely no validity, but I'd personally view it more as entertainment, than science.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I agree. My test came back as "The Inspector"--yet I am punctual only about half the time and I am completely unobservant of details! I could never be a detective!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It sure has helped me. This has only become short form "self test" since the internet. The original test is much, much, longer and is/was administered by MB professionals in the work place for synergistic reasons. Though not as long, its the same type of testing used by clinical psychologists which certainly aren't "self tests" and an essential therapeutic tool in the field.

You might want to delve into the history of MB. Jung is highly regarded and respected by his peers.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
Whenever I see these kinds of "self" tests, I can only think of the William James quote:

“Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is.”

― William James

Doesn't mean there is absolutely no validity, but I'd personally view it more as entertainment, than science.
I think the test results are useful if we find them enlightening and helpful. There is the thing though that probably we all want to "belong somewhere" and it's comforting to find some apparently known "boxes" where we feel we belong. It's like finding a community whose values and challenges we relate to strongly. I was part of quite a few communities in the past that were enthusiasts of different kinds of personality theories, usually forming groups based on the type their test results brought out. One problem I saw many times is that people sometimes over-identify with these categories, and start projecting some of the traits onto themselves and others that the descriptions discuss, which do not necessarily apply to them really. So this way, we can create false IDs and perceptions. So what is true identity, and identification? Who am I, and who do I want to see myself as? Reality vs wishes?

As for the scientific validation, I think that the MBTI dimensions are too complex to be easily associated with specific mechanisms that can be measured and analyzed experimentally or using conventional scientific methods. Except for perhaps social behavior (the I/E dimension), for which there have been tons of experimental studies even using animal models. I think someone alluded to this earlier on this thread. But again, if we learn from all this, it's all good. I definitely have in the past.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
I'd personally view it more as entertainment, than science.
Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I think the test results are useful if we find them enlightening and helpful.
There's entertainment, there's therapy, and there's the post-positivist way of science that looks for generalizable rules or laws. Entertaining, yes, some of us find them so. Therapeutic, possibly. If your scores on any dimension of this or the Big Five aren't extreme, I wouldn't waste my breath on them, but if you consistently come up extreme on some dimension, it might be interesting to think about or read about or talk to a therapist about. Scientific? In terms of consistently showing evidence of stable personality traits that can be usefully related to other attributes or behaviors in a population -- no, not so much, not Myers-Briggs.

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Except for perhaps social behavior (the I/E dimension), for which there have been tons of experimental studies even using animal models. I think someone alluded to this earlier on this thread.
LOL that would have been me.

P.S. just because clinical psychologists and businesses use these scales doesn't make them valid -- people use Rorschachs, too, and there's absolutely no evidence that Rorschach results mean anything, except in the eyes of the tested and the clinician.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

ENFJ x
Old 01-14-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I wonder if my answers will change now that I've stopped drinking.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I wonder if the reason my profile has changed so drastically (from INFP to ISTJ) is because my sobriety has induced me to make changes to my character. I try to think of others more, and involve myself more with the outside world: plus, more responsibilities have been popped onto me, so I do not have the luxury of sitting around daydreaming, pondering, or brooding.

Plus, I have made an effort since I've been sober to be more industrious, not making others suffer with my laziness. As a result, I may have an actual opinion about more things.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I'm an INFJ and I'm surprised at how many others that took this poll are the same. Apparently it's one of the rarest results. I like this topic!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

ISTJ - already knew I was an introvert. I got turned down for a management job because I was told I was too introverted. But heck so are some very famous people....steve jobs, Robert deniro...
Old 01-18-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
ISTJ - already knew I was an introvert. I got turned down for a management job because I was told I was too introverted. But heck so are some very famous people....steve jobs, Robert deniro...
Van Morrison is apparently very shy and introverted too
Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Introvert(67%) Sensing(1%) Thinking(12%) Judging(67%)

Not sure how I got so low on the thinking part since I go more with thinking than feeling.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Huh?

INFP, and test as INTP a good 1/3 of the time.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(100%) Thinking(75%) Judging(56%)
INTJ
Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

ISTP, clearly introvert. + sensing, thinking, perceiving.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

INFP seems a good fit for me

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

ISTP here. I scrolled through all seven pages and me and UnixBear (2 above) were the only two. We must be either really cool or really wierd

I also noticed more introverts. I guess like a lot of alkies, I drank to become more extroverted.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
ISTP here. I scrolled through all seven pages and me and UnixBear (2 above) were the only two. We must be either really cool or really wierd

I also noticed more introverts. I guess like a lot of alkies, I drank to become more extroverted.
When I started drinking I would have been 100% introvert. So yeah, I think most people, both alcoholic and not, drink for being more extroverted.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

opened and read a few questions, what i would like to do and what i do is quite different, this test is not for me...