Notices

Hitting bottom

Old 02-21-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Well, I'm back from rehab. I can see now that it is basically a process of gaining the tools to move forward, and most of the real progress is made by working with a sponsor.

I avoided AA for the majority of my drinking career, but I've run out of options, it seems. I'm willing to give this a shot...take a leap of faith. I know I don't ever want to have to end up in rehab again, and definitely not detox. Many, or most, of the guys I met along the way were repeaters. Many had already been at the same clinic before, some multiple times.

Maybe it's the age gap, I'm not sure, but I think I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer than to have to go through that again! It wasn't a negative experience, per se, but it disturbed me emotionally to admit to myself that I really had gotten that bad.

Anyway, it's good to be back on familiar ground, and I look forward to actually following a program and making the necessary changes to behaviors that usually led me back to the bottle again.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Glad you are back and sounding committed!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome back you sound serious and it sounds like you have a good and caring sponsor trust me it helps.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Sending positive vibes your way.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
I've already joined 2 AA groups in my area and have a sponsor I speak to almost daily. He's actually driving me 3 1/2 hours away to the detox facility and keeping an eye on my house while I'm away. I've always avoided AA like the plague, but I have to admit, I am beginning to enjoy not being alone with this. I went to a meeting Tuesday night and it was packed! I don't usually like large crowds, but with all of us having this illness in common, it was a very pleasant feeling.

Sounds like you're off to a great start.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hang in there - never give up.