Notices

Hitting bottom

Old 01-22-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Matt M

Good luck.

I hit rock bottom last year after thinking i'd already hit it!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, that is a pretty crazy story. Happy to hear that you are still sober and doing your best! I had looked into rehabs (inpatient and outpatient) prior to just quitting on my own as well and couldn't believe how expensive it can get. It seems that the system is set up to provide assistance to people who have committed crimes but not for just some average person trying to get sober.

Kudos on day 10! That is fantastic!!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hope it doesn't come down to you having to sell your house. Maybe there are other options.

I'm glad you've found one that's somewhat affordable and doesn't require you fly across the country.

I can understand that your ex is only allowing supervised visits. Just be glad you still get to see them.

It's odd what your employer did to you, especially the HR Rep. Sounds like they don't have the bigger picture of what's going on? Or they're putting pressure on to make sure you get squared away and treated. Regardless, I hope you persist and get into this $3500 option soon.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Your perseverance and desire to get yourself rehabbed is proof that you are ready, willing, and able!

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
It's odd what your employer did to you, especially the HR Rep. Sounds like they don't have the bigger picture of what's going on? Or they're putting pressure on to make sure you get squared away and treated. Regardless, I hope you persist and get into this $3500 option soon.
The vibe I was getting yesterday was that they were just trying to get rid of me, but I don't give up so easily. It's really hard to find a job right now that pays what I need to just stay afloat. I've been looking, though, and will continue doing so. It's going to be awkward returning to work after all this is over.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Awkward will be a breeze if you have a job to return to!
Lovely to hear you've stopped drinking, well done.
Good luck with the rehab, I hope it works out well & you learn lots about yourself.
Make your employers glad they had faith in you & try to find the faith in yourself.
You CAN do it

Keep on keeping on

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by JensDestiny View Post
Wow, that is a pretty crazy story. Happy to hear that you are still sober and doing your best! I had looked into rehabs (inpatient and outpatient) prior to just quitting on my own as well and couldn't believe how expensive it can get. It seems that the system is set up to provide assistance to people who have committed crimes but not for just some average person trying to get sober.

Kudos on day 10! That is fantastic!!
Yep. At the detox facility, most were repeat customers. Some had been arrested and sent there. I was the only first-timer in the area where I was staying. I chose to go ahead and do it this time because I have this pattern of repeat relapses. The last one got really weird, and dangerous.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Best wishes...$3500 is a deal..grab that up and go with gusto. My 1 and only (thank god) rehab was about $15,000 no insurance. 28 day stay at " club sober" really woke me up. Even with the expense, I have no regrets. You will meet people just like you and most likely be friends in sobriety for a long time. I am still in touch with some of my "club sober" buddies some 10 yrs later. Go in with a willingness to learn!! It goes by quick and I remember some did not want to leave after they graduated...I was ready. Again best wishes.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Best wishes on you recovery. $3500 and or your job are not important compared to the benefits of getting off the booze. I have been reading "Under the Influence" and ask how can I allow a chemical to ruin my life.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Trust me... if I can do this, anyone can! It took several years of rinse and repeat but eventually it stuck and this time I have absolutely no intentions of ever going back. *I just wish that I had gotten sober years sooner and could take back the time that I have lost.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Seems very expensive, around here there is a top rated rehab facility, noted by respectable agencies all over the place. For citizens of the country, its $500/wk. Its all AA based. Dont see the need really. Just go into a "sober house", and dive head first into AA. Because if you remember, 75% recovery rate. Rehabs, are extremely lucky to hit double digits of a recovery rate!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi GMO.

Oh my... I'm sorry it's gotten so complicated. Well, at least you are detoxed now and don't need to worry about withdrawal, which was apparently one of your main fears. If the $3500 is too much for you, have you looked into the Salvation Army programs? Or would that be too long time (I think the program is several months). I like what markz said about getting into a sober house, but don't those require that the residents completed some kind of rehab already? I'm thinking about a somewhat longer term solution for you because if I recall correctly, you have a tendency to relapse after a few months, and also a tendency to withdraw from help around that time...

And yeah, I agree that it's probably best for everyone that you meet with your kids supervised for a while. Don't worry about that now, I think your focus should be staying sober and whatever that takes.

I'm glad that you have new options.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by markz View Post
Seems very expensive, around here there is a top rated rehab facility, noted by respectable agencies all over the place. For citizens of the country, its $500/wk. Its all AA based. Dont see the need really. Just go into a "sober house", and dive head first into AA. Because if you remember, 75% recovery rate. Rehabs, are extremely lucky to hit double digits of a recovery rate!
Actually, this facility is the cheapest one I've found. The detox facility in CA was $2800/day!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi GMO.

Oh my... I'm sorry it's gotten so complicated. Well, at least you are detoxed now and don't need to worry about withdrawal, which was apparently one of your main fears. If the $3500 is too much for you, have you looked into the Salvation Army programs? Or would that be too long time (I think the program is several months). I like what markz said about getting into a sober house, but don't those require that the residents completed some kind of rehab already? I'm thinking about a somewhat longer term solution for you because if I recall correctly, you have a tendency to relapse after a few months, and also a tendency to withdraw from help around that time...

And yeah, I agree that it's probably best for everyone that you meet with your kids supervised for a while. Don't worry about that now, I think your focus should be staying sober and whatever that takes.

I'm glad that you have new options.
I've already joined 2 AA groups in my area and have a sponsor I speak to almost daily. He's actually driving me 3 1/2 hours away to the detox facility and keeping an eye on my house while I'm away. I've always avoided AA like the plague, but I have to admit, I am beginning to enjoy not being alone with this. I went to a meeting Tuesday night and it was packed! I don't usually like large crowds, but with all of us having this illness in common, it was a very pleasant feeling.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
I've already joined 2 AA groups in my area and have a sponsor I speak to almost daily. He's actually driving me 3 1/2 hours away to the detox facility and keeping an eye on my house while I'm away. I've always avoided AA like the plague, but I have to admit, I am beginning to enjoy not being alone with this. I went to a meeting Tuesday night and it was packed! I don't usually like large crowds, but with all of us having this illness in common, it was a very pleasant feeling.
Correction: he's driving me to the rehab center. I already went through detox and finished that 11 days ago.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Prayers sent your way !
Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
KAD

Headed out to rehab. I won't be able to check in here until I return around 2/20 or 2/21 as we aren't allowed internet access. Wish me well. Talk soon.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Take care and best wishes! Make the most of it
Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

All the best, GetMeOut!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Wish you well!