Notices

When enough is far too much

Old 01-10-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
You can change, treatment and some sobriety can help you do that but you have to want it and you have to do the work.

I know it feels like you are losing everything right now but you are not. You are getting a chance to live, take it!
God, don't I want it?!

I want this like I've never wanted anything. I never though it could get this bad.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
God, don't I want it?!

I want this like I've never wanted anything. I never though it could get this bad.
And it's so available!! Its everywhere and spoken of with a wink and a nod, like its expected to indulge in one of the deadliest drugs in the world. I understand Prohibition. This s!it is deadly!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to focus on the longer term maybe?

This time out - these few weeks - could really be a wise investment in the years to come, not only for you, but for your kids too - I bet they want their Dad 'back'.

This may just be the first step in seeing that realised.

As far as alcohol being everywhere - sure it is.

But there's hundreds of us here, thousands even, for whom that's no longer a problem.

It takes a little time and effort but it's more than possible - for anyone

You can't eradicate alcohol - but you can change yourself
Old 01-10-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

GMO, There is no unknown to fear. Obviously you have good care arranged for your kids. In the end it was a monumental feat to cook dinner for my kids and help with homework so I wasn't much use anyway. As far as what to expect at treatment--detox, group, rest, more group, rest, all you can eat. Think of it as a live-in crash course on addiction and living sober. Not so scary. Be well and holler back in a month when you get your GMO voice back. Right now I could have mistaken you for another guy I know, AV.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After you get yourself on the right track again-which you will- you can be the type of father your children deserve and need
Old 01-10-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

One day at a time. Only focus on this day.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
After you get yourself on the right track again-which you will- you can be the type of father your children deserve and need
I've done all I know to do for those kids. I worship them. They are lliterally the only reason I stay alive.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
I've done all I know to do for those kids. I worship them. They are lliterally the only reason I stay alive.

Rehab will give you opportunity to not only live but live well with and for them.

It's going to be okay, GMO.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

GMO... Hi bud, I'm so glad to see you back here again and with this news! Like others commented, this is a tremendous, extremely valuable opportunity that is rather unlikely to come again the same way. Please grab it and run with it, no need to question anything about it.

Yes it does sound like you have a very large amount of anxiety and fear, but you know you are prone to it and that is more than likely to get better if you get a grip on long-term sobriety. Your kids will be fine for a few weeks, it's really all in your mind my friend that they would be threatened by your potential absence. But when you are in the rehab and go to counseling sessions, do tell them about this concern. I can't imagine they would totally block you from contacting your children, especially given your feelings. And as others suggested, you will be an infinitely better father to them if you get sober and stay that way long term. It'll all pay off, a great investment.

Also, try to ease up about the detox. You could not do it in any safer way than this, they will be monitoring you 24/24, something you never had when you tried medical detox at home. They know how to help you get through it as comfortably and safely as possible.

Also, I feel that the fact you are going to a far location may be an extra winner... yeah fear of the unknown, but environmental change, given it's a good and supportive environment, is usually very helpful in the treatment of addictions. Might take it as some adventure as well, something that moves you out of the environment that you apparently feel discontent with and lonely in, your home town.

Do come here and post away before Monday, it's a much better focus and distraction than loading yourself with more booze than ever thinking it may be the last time today and tomorrow. And yes, alcohol is and will always be available, the solution of taking it out of the big picture is not a viable one. Unfortunately we need to take it out of our lives the hard way.

I'm sending you hugs and courage for your upcoming journey. Please do not reconsider it for a moment -- just go and do it, there will be plenty of time for reflection and addressing the fears once you are there, and you'll have help with it.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have been in rehab. They took our cell phones away but we were allowed to use the facility's phone as much as we wanted in the evening. We could buy calling cards from them. Also, visitors were welcome every weekend.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good for you on heading to rehab, it's the right decision. Don't let the "ifs" and "buts" eat you alive right now. The first step is getting there. Millions of people with children go to rehab every year, the center will be quick to give you information and answer all of your questions and explain everything upon your arrival. I myself went a very basic rehab center and, speaking from experience, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about in regards to contacting family and loved ones.

Get yourself out there on Monday. It's the best move possible. Good luck, we look forward to hearing how you're doing!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just follow their procedures for contacting family. Don't worry. You will be more present for them after rehab so you can make up for lost time.

As others have said, millions of people go to rehab who have children.