Notices

Another question about the insomnia

Old 01-06-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Another question about the insomnia

Hello everyone,

Hope you're all doing well and staying on the wagon.

My insomnia is still quite bad. Although, undoubtedly, my hours of work don't help (I start work at 15:00hrs and finish at 23:00hrs), I can't help but feel the insomnia is definitely PAWS.

I'm just so worried, because I'll soon be starting at 09:00-17:00 job, which is my dream job... I won't be able to "sleep in" and turn up for work. They'll expect me there when I say I'll be there. It's a hospital based job...

My current employer was very good. When I explained my situation with alcohol, and the withdrawal, they were very kind and said if I did sleep in not to worry, just to let them know ASAP.

I've tried a herbal "sleep aid" by Boots (UK). It makes me feel very relaxed... but doesn't seem to help much with actually getting to sleep?

What did you do for the insomnia? Please help me!!

Thanks

Last edited by am658; 01-06-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am the LEAST morning person in the whole world. I have gotten used to getting here early. Being sober has made it about 90% more tolerable. Going to work hungover, early was a nightmare are I never care to repeat. I wish I worked at 11 too but just use it as another motivator. Still NOT a morning person here. Never have been.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some useful resources here:

Relaxation Techniques | University of Maryland Medical Center
Old 01-08-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I read books to help tire my eyes
Old 01-09-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read in bed and that sends me off but often wake up several times and can't go back to sleep. I've found listening to podcasts shuts off my mind and I drift off. I set the timer to end the podcast at 15 minutes and have never heard it shut off.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awhile back I made a concentrated effort to wake up in the morning. I read that after 28 days of doing something habitually you can make it easier on yourself. I also have never, ever been a morning person. I forced myself to get up no matter what at the same time each day, no sleeping during the day and went to bed at the same time every night and if I could not sleep I would just lay there. It was torture for awhile but I also went hardcore and got up at 4:30 a.m. meditated and then by 9:30 at night I couldn't even keep my eyes open. I did that early rise purposely so I would be exhausted. It was hard but it worked.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I struggle with this too. When I would drink I would pass out or black out and like clock work I would wake up at 630am. And thats something that I have done so much if I dont drink I cant get to sleep effortlessly. Toss and turn but the worst part about it all is that my mind wonders so far that Im wide awake for hours. Then I start to get sleepy around 4am. For a long time I have been somehow functioning on 3-4 hours of sleep.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I actually found that Celestial Teas makes "Sleepy Time Extra". I put two bags in a mug. That really helps. Melatonin helps me too. Some kind of "white noise" helps me too such as a fan or an air conditioner. Reading helps me, too.

The insomnia really sucks for the first week or so. But, it will get better. I hope you get some serious shut eye. Sweet dreams, my friend!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Insomnia is no joke. I've had it off and on for much of my life.

What I've been doing the past year that is making life more manageable is taking a otc sleep aid with 50 mg of diphenhydramine about 2 hours before bedtime. I believe it's the same ingredient
as benadryl.

I also have a prescription for ambien that I take every once in a while. But about every night I take the sleep aid with the diphenhydramine.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Something i found quite useful for Insomnia that i use before bed is Binaural Beats. Theres a couple of good ones on youtube that get your brain's frequency to shift to a more relaxed state...it works well with meditation and helps wonders with anxiety!
Hope it helps!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linus887 View Post
Something i found quite useful for Insomnia that i use before bed is Binaural Beats. Theres a couple of good ones on youtube that get your brain's frequency to shift to a more relaxed state...it works well with meditation and helps wonders with anxiety!
Hope it helps!
Hey thanks for this tip. I tried binaural beats off of my laptop last night before bed and it really did seem to relax me and help me sleep. One of them was "sleep 2 + rain." I've also been switching to a variety of others.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No problem! Hope it helps you get better sleep.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I rested my body as best as I could and would put on xa speakers on my mp3 to listen to, often falling into sleep at some point.

eventually I slept well again, actually I sleep better sober.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok this might be terrible advise as I suffer from insomnia as well and have by no means found a cure... so take it with a grain of salt.

Try getting into podcasts/audio books or even listen to classical music before you sleep. It's something I can focus on but easily drift off to with my eyes close. I find it at least turns off my mind to some extent. Eventually I will just lose attention and drift off. I almost always fall asleep to it and it helps a lot for me. And if I can't fall asleep, well then it keeps me entertained :P. Again, some people may say this will keep you up longer, but hey works for me.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I often stream a basketball, football or baseball game. I find myself out within an hour or so. That was when I first started. Stick with it everyone, once your body is healed and the damage is gone and brain is re-wired and your mentally right, you'll fall asleep normally and love every last second of it. It's amazing to wake up with zero hangover and a fresh cup of coffee that isn't there just to get you through a hangover.