Notices

Thoughts on controlled drinking again

Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timmy1028 View Post
Those wondering - ever see the movie "Smashed"? That woman was me minus the crack smoking experience and the enabling significant other.

Saw that movie last summer, drinking had been escalating, had some health issues developing, that movie made me be honest with myself.

The party was over. It had to be. Not that a new party wasn't going to start - a different kind of one, but that one was over. ��
I havent seen it but Im going to make a point to watch it tomorrow. Ive heard about it several times on here and at AA. The further I get from my last drink the more reminders I need!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In terms of actual pleasure, I don't get controlled drinking. I can enjoy, or not, a friend with a can of tomato juice as much as I can 2 beers. The whole pleasure of drinking is found in drinking 8 beers.

In terms of a fantasy, I get it. I want to imagine that down the road somewhere I'm going to have a great night with buddies or hoist a glass of champagne at a wedding and be like a character in the Deer Hunter. And I need to protect this fantasy because I want to avoid actually figuring out how to have pleasure in my life, the discomfort that requires.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I havent seen it but Im going to make a point to watch it tomorrow. Ive heard about it several times on here and at AA. The further I get from my last drink the more reminders I need!
Good movie. If you can relate and are in the middle of a binge, as I was, it is very thought provoking. There is one part I remember (won't spoil anything) she refers to alcohol as something you quit, but it's always there waiting for you right where you left off, just waiting patiently.

That's what I keep telling myself at this stage in the game.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davaidavai View Post
In terms of actual pleasure, I don't get controlled drinking. I can enjoy, or not, a friend with a can of tomato juice as much as I can 2 beers. The whole pleasure of drinking is found in drinking 8 beers.
I just had to second this one. This really nails it.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Darn it, double post. I guess I'll just agree again. Lol.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In terms of a fantasy, I get it. I want to imagine that down the road somewhere I'm going to have a great night with buddies or hoist a glass of champagne at a wedding and be like a character in the Deer Hunter. And I need to protect this fantasy because I want to avoid actually figuring out how to have pleasure in my life, the discomfort that requires.
Oh I know. I recently told someone that was asking if I had missed drinking while dieting. I said no, I didn't - what I did realize is I enjoy pleasure I get from the alcohol. Then a friend of mine (drinking buddy with his own questionable behaviors - a physician nonetheless - go figure) said he drank because he enjoyed the taste. I said, not me, I realize I liked the effect of alcohol. Heck, I like the taste of Sprite Zero but I don't just sit there and drink 12 in a sitting.

I am sort of softening them up for when I continue not to drink but the diet is over....
Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It took me a good while to understand the phenomenon of craving. One drink sets the stage (and craving) for the second drink and beyond. My craving for more was only satisfied when I was really, really drunk, like slurring.

Once I have one I am desperate for the second and have done bizarre things to get more. (Walking long distances in snow without proper clothing, anyone? Lol). Because our tolerance naturally goes up it ends up taking a crazy amount til we feel satisfied. If a non-drinker consumed 12 beers in one night, they'd probably go to ER they'd feel so sick. Tolerance is kinda weird now that I think about it.

So much stress that drinking life was! It sounds like you a really good grasp on it Timmy.

The example of soda is great. I like Pepsi but only feel the need for one or two a day. Well gosh darn, that's kind of how non-alcoholics drink.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Controlled? Key word there. I did it awhile to keep it away from my kids. Cunning and, oh, so seductive it sits in its dark corner beckoning: "Come over here I can make it all better when life situations I CAN'T control hit." And I weaken and believe it because I've always beaten the odds before.... but one day it won and I went down for the count. Baffling that I would take such a chance with my life.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Controlled drinking? To me that is like being a little bit pregnant.

For me, it's nit that I go on a binge or drink 10 drinks in a evening, but rather I continue drinking "in control". While my brain gets more and more scrambled over time. Eventually I just feel so bad from prolonged drinking that I may have as well gotten there quicker with 10 drinks a night.

The point to remember is that many of us here have a disease where we don't provess the alcohol in the same way as the other 85 -90% of the population and alcohol has a different effect on out brains.

Instead of controlled drinking,, why don't you try controlled not drinking and see if you can control yourself to not drink for 90 days?
Old 01-02-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timmy1028 View Post
I am new here. I wanted to get the thoughts of members of this forum. Although this is my first post, I've been reading it for some time and it has offered a great deal of support for me and the struggles I've been going through. Recently, I decided to put down the drink and I have done so successfully for nearly 6 months. I haven't shared my little project with anyone, because I didn't want to be labeled as that guy who had quit drinking because he had to. Because it was a problem for him. Fortunately I have lost a significant amount of weight in the last six months, so I have told friends and relatives that my not having a beer here, a glass of wine there,etc. was due to my weight loss goal. It's worked.

Recently however, an old friend came into town. To make a long story short, I went out with his friend and over the course of the entire evening and several different bars consumed a grand total of three beers. Very spaced out, but I didn't feel comfortable not being at least "social". I did it. Since then, I have experienced no cravings, desires, or downward spiral back to where I was.

I know this is where a lot of people who have been in my shoes slip up. They think they're in control now. I don't want to end up where I used to be. I know I haven't gone into that, but I'm sure most of you can imagine.

In the end, I am back on the wagon - many days now, not finding any cravings or anything like that. I still feel like I'm in control, but I know the dangers of feeling too save. Anybody else been here before?

I went 10 days without a drink while working out in the countryside. I felt great and a few people even commented on the fact I wasn't drinking.

I wasn't trying controlled drinking per say but was quite happy the way things turned out. No booze and I could feel the difference after just 10 days of abstinence.

So, the night I returned to my apartment I decided to celebrate. I went out and bought a pint of vodka...

Let me end this by saying it wasn't a pretty night.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Controlled drinking? If you have to control it, it's already out of control.
words out of my mouth! I've been in a cycle of drinking then trying moderation then trying to dry out for a week or so then trying other drinks and every single time when things are going good...... I'll f***k up. I'll drink too much, say things I shouldn't wake up where I shouldn't you name it. I finally accepted I can't drink alcohol. I still can have a "beer" with friends and be just as social just it's an NA or I'll have a coke or water but I won't drink alcohol again. Ever. Some people can't handle NA beer some people can't handle being in a bar it's about controlling your actions not controlling your drinking.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
It took me a good while to understand the phenomenon of craving. One drink sets the stage (and craving) for the second drink and beyond. My craving for more was only satisfied when I was really, really drunk, like slurring. Once I have one I am desperate for the second and have done bizarre things to get more. (Walking long distances in snow without proper clothing, anyone? Lol). Because our tolerance naturally goes up it ends up taking a crazy amount til we feel satisfied. If a non-drinker consumed 12 beers in one night, they'd probably go to ER they'd feel so sick. Tolerance is kinda weird now that I think about it. So much stress that drinking life was! It sounds like you a really good grasp on it Timmy. The example of soda is great. I like Pepsi but only feel the need for one or two a day. Well gosh darn, that's kind of how non-alcoholics drink.
That's where I was with the cravings I always had regular beers every day but when it got bad what when I had to get somethig stronger before drinking a few regular beers I was craving that buzz above all.... That's why the NA thing has worked for me. I still crave a beer I have a couple but without the alcohol that's all I ever feel like having is about 2 where as I was an easy 8-10 a day when I was drinking alcohol.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I'm pretty sure if Coke was legal, former addicts wouldn't say "I bet I could just have a couple lines tonight"...then none tomorrow, etc. It should be no different for a former alcoholic to understand they can't just have a "few".
I can assure you, legal or not, the process and the deluded thoughts of moderation and some new found ability to use cocaine like a gentlemen is EXACTLY the same.

Addiction, at its core, is the same regardless of substance.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hamandcheese View Post
I can assure you, legal or not, the process and the deluded thoughts of moderation and some new found ability to use cocaine like a gentlemen is EXACTLY the same.

Addiction, at its core, is the same regardless of substance.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I was sober 2.5 yrs, left AA thinking I'm not really alcoholic, tried controlled drinking sometimes would be ok, but lately it really isn't ok, I think I just ignored the bad times as they have been going on for ages now. Am fed up of feeling guilty, remorseful, thinking omg what did I do. Back to AA for me
Old 01-06-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hello Timmy,

What would have been different had you not drank three beers when you went out with your buddy?
Why do you feel you have to drink poison to be sociable?
I hope the answers help you. You cannot control addiction.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Why control it? Forget all the stuff about the downward spiral that might (probably) will happen. Why even bother? There is no need for alcohol in your life. Why do it? For the buzz? For the social acceptance? To hang onto that last shred of your youth? In my opinion good riddance. If you're like me you've done it all so why keep revisiting old times? Move forward with your life. Take the opportunity to do something else. You were a guy who drank, now be a guy who doesn't. Reinvent yourself. Doesn't have to be drastic of you don't want but I say shut the door on your drinking life and open the one to your sober life and explore it.