Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

A bizarre alcohol story. Anyone ever hear of anything like this...

Notices

A bizarre alcohol story. Anyone ever hear of anything like this...

Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by fini View Post
makes sense that changes in the brain translate into other changes.
Phineas Gage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

oh my!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

My first hand account of the dementia effect: My dad drank alcoholically for years, turning to AA at the age of 55, he is now 90 and in a care facility and has dementia. He did not drink at all in the time from joining AA until going into the facility (2009 after the death of my mum). They have a Happy Hour there every Thursday arvo, where my Dad has 2 glasses of light beer, and seems content. Might ask my wife about this, her PhD thesis had to do with Alzheimer's/dementia.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

with all the different storys i have heard and read about and indeed with the people i have been involved with in helping, there comes over a determination or motivation that must be in place for anything to work

without it then people seem only half hearted as to me there not really convinced

maybe the fall and bang on the head might of been just the convincing your mum needed to take the drink problem serious like never before ?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

LaVallette,
would you share please if you find anything out?
the thought of 'happy hour' with a light beer once a week in a dementia ward sounds incredibly sad to me. worse than...
Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Hey fini,

Just to clear something up. The facility my Dad is in has 3 levels of care; independent living, in a self-contained flat or unit with a "panic" button if you need help or a nurse. A locked nursing home-type dementia ward. And, where my Dad is, is kind of like a modern military barracks, in that he has his own well-lit, airy room with TV and an en-suite, but he has most stuff done for him like haircuts, laundry, needs help showering etc and eats in a communal dining room. He's not mobile enough anymore to go on the outside group trips that he used to. If it ever comes to it, I hope I get somewhere just as nice!

OK, on to the actual thread topic. **THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, JUST AN OPINION*** (Thanks mods/Dee ) My wife explained this quite simply as; Alzheimer's/dementia affects the neurons in the brain to do with memory. So when it onsets, people simply "forget" they are addicted to a substance. As my wife explained, it really is basically that simple. And for JoeNerv, a blow to the correct part of the head may cause the same effect. In fact, my wife related her own experience of having a motorcycle accident where she had a closed brain injury and forgot she was chocaholic! Sounds juvenile, I know, but according to her, when it came to chocolate she, in her own words, had a serious eating disorder. After the accident she can take it or leave it. She actually had half-joking discussions with her PhD supervisor and mentor that she may have stumbled across the next big diet thing! So when Kaneda stated above if only they could patent the "head blow" thing, he may really be onto something! Although my wife did say it probably wouldn't get past the ethical test when it comes to these things.

Anyway, hope that has helped some. Oh and it's already 2015 here in Oz, so Happy New Year!

Last edited by LaVallette; 12-31-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
Old 01-01-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by LaVallette View Post

...a blow to the correct part of the head may cause the same effect. In fact, my wife related her own experience of having a motorcycle accident where she had a closed brain injury and forgot she was chocaholic! Sounds juvenile, I know, but according to her, when it came to chocolate she, in her own words, had a serious eating disorder. After the accident she can take it or leave it. She actually had half-joking discussions with her PhD supervisor and mentor that she may have stumbled across the next big diet thing! So when Kaneda stated above if only they could patent the "head blow" thing, he may really be onto something!
Perhaps a frontal lobotomy would do the same thing?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy".
(Tom Waits)
Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Perhaps a frontal lobotomy would do the same thing?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy".
(Tom Waits)
Well, yes.

I'm not a gifted researcher so forgive me for not having specific citations, but do I recall correctly that at one time, frontal lobotomy was the go-to treatment for all manner of difficult mental cases, including "hopeless" alcoholics?

And then they moved on to the vastly more sophisticated and humane electro-shock therapy?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Phineas Gage - we did a case study on him in my psych 101 course. Very famous story.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Wow, another way to encounter a total psychic change......

I have heard about sense of smell being disturbed by a head injury, perhaps along the same line.

God's ways are indeed mysterious.