Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Poll: When did/do you know your hangover was almost over?

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This may be a strange thread, but when I slip up and get a bad hangover, I can only count down the minutes until I find relief. You'd think I would learn my lesson...

Anyway, I guess I'm getting experienced enough to memorize the stages of my hangovers and approximately how long they lasted (not proud of it). E.G. I break a sweat in the last stages. Almost every time it ends this way. How awful to be hoping to break into the sweats.

Has anyone else learned the stages of their own personal hangovers? I'm interested in knowing how other people feel during theirs - for some reason it helps me know I'm not alone.

I'm in the middle of one and keep swearing this is the last time I will pick up a drink. I just need to remember this feeling every time the craving comes.

Sorry if this seems pointless. Typing this is helping me forget about it though.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't remember with any precision, CM.

Gotta ask tho - why focus on something you'll never have to experience again if you commit yourself to recovery?

D
Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This wasn't a recovery plea - and I'm already trying. It was a simple question.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

During my hangovers, I remember feeling very anxious. When I was hungover at work, I had a difficult time concentrating and was very RESTLESS.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hangover

I have a list of all the physical feelings and emotions I suffer from HO. I look at them when I want to drink. Usual helps to stop me drinking- depressed, isolated, guilty, headache, sick etc. can last two days normally.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My hangover was almost over when the day was done and I was about to go to bed, presuming that I hadn't had too much "hair of the dog", in which case it was onto the dreaded "day two" hangover. In retrospect, I was always either hungover or drunk. Ick!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The last year of my drinking my entire life was a hangover. It never ended.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My hangovers turned into withdrawal. I really never got that hung over to begin with tho, because my body knew the drill. I would sometimes go crazy one night and feel ****** the next day, but it would have to be a lot of booze. Even then I'd just sleep most of it off anyways and continue on the next day.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The only time I was not hungover or drunk was when I was asleep. Oops, guess I was drunk then too!

My hangovers ended whenever I poured my first drink around 6 pm after work.

I worked everyday hungover. But these never included vomiting. I hadn't vomited in years so it was pretty easy to go to work and pretend to function. I also never graduated to morning drinking so I was sober every day with splitting headaches. Trembles, hear palpitations. HIGH blood pressure, feelings of panic. But as I said all of this went away when I poured my first drink after work.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We'll, to simply answer your question:

I knew my hangover was almost over when I pulled into the driveway! Lol
Old 12-29-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Usually lasts until evening that day, I could tell it was almost over when the anxiety and self hate started to ease up.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My hangovers made me feel like death warmed up! They were horrendous. I cant actually believe i went to work hungover every day for years . What sort of crappy life was that? It certainly wasn't living , that's for sure .

The palpitations , the impending doom , the jolting legs , the sweats , the explosive diaorrhea . The nausea , the blurred vision, the vomitting , going to sleep ( passing out ) then waking 2 hours later ....Wtf was i thinking!

Never again , CaliM - i hope you find some peace , cos alcohol never gave me any of that .

I wasn't living , i was committing slow suicide.

Good luck ;-)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I knew my hangovers were over when I finally quit drinking for good.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Everyday life was/is a hangover. It used to end when i had the next drink.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I decided to go to any lengths to get sober.
Lived in a hangover for many,many years
Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

I dont want to remember the sweating is the body working a lot harder than it should to break the alcohol down putting stress on all the organs

ive woken up to having a cold this morning and thats awful enough
Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
My hangovers made me feel like death warmed up! They were horrendous. I cant actually believe i went to work hungover every day for years . What sort of crappy life was that? It certainly wasn't living , that's for sure .

The palpitations , the impending doom , the jolting legs , the sweats , the explosive diaorrhea . The nausea , the blurred vision, the vomitting , going to sleep ( passing out ) then waking 2 hours later ....Wtf was i thinking!

Never again , CaliM - i hope you find some peace , cos alcohol never gave me any of that .

I wasn't living , i was committing slow suicide.

Good luck ;-)
Snoozy,

We're you me or was I you? Lol! Oh the horror.

I went from 2008-2014 without EVER not being hungover on some level. 95% of days were bad hangovers. The other five percent were medium hangovers.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lol Melinda ;-) yeah we sound pretty alike huh xx

I can't remember ever having a nice hangover ! Bad most of the time , medium if I was lucky .

I can remember as soon as I woke , gauging how bad it was gonna be . Was it gonna be a vomit day or a day where I was lucky enough to be able to eat .

It's such a vile disease isn't it . Now , when I'm actually sick legitimately , I wonder WHY I madd myself sick by my own hand .

It's crazyyyyyyy

Glad you are doing well lovely xxx
Old 12-29-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep I got to know the stages of my hangovers/withdrawals very very well . I got to the point that I could predict how I would feel and look on ever day going through it. I was a massive binge drinker, would drink for about two days straight then go through the most awful hangover the week after, it,would often take me over a week to feel back to normal. I knew this in advance and it didn't stop
me drinking, total madness!