Notices

Antabuse and bac?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse and bac?

HI, I've been sober for a little over a week now. I've been on abuse for this time. I continue to measure my bac level on a home breathalyzer and I consistently blow a .03-.05 and I don't ever feel a reaction to the antabuse.. I have not drinking at all during this time and my diet has not changed. Has anybody have any experience with this?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

is the breathalyzer working properly?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes...my husband tries it and it reads 0.00
Old 12-24-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you use any alcohol-containing products? Like hand sanitizer, mouthwash, hairsprays, nailpolish remover? These things can register as "background noise" even though they aren't' ingested. Mouthwash would definitely register low.

Bunnez
Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No...been very careful about that....even test myself first thing in the morning. So weird. I've read about low carb diets and diabetes can cause this...but neither apply to me. I'm scared that my liver might be damaged Of course it's Cristmas eve and i wont be able to call the dr. until Friday. Should have been more worried the last few days.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Over a week sober is great!!!
For me, when I worried about being ill typically was nothing - just fear, cause it's what I do Worry......

Now I simply relax, enjoy today and soberly celebrate the gift of being undrunk!

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 12-24-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry...antabuse...not abuse...lol
Old 12-24-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Omnivore

I'd say check all the products you use to see if any have alcohol. The dire warnings about how you will have serious problems even from using mouth wash are overblown. I'm sure some people do have a severe reaction to even a tiny bit of alcohol, so don't purposely test that. Most people though need to have a real drink to start feeling the intended effects of Antabuse. So you probably have some tiny bit of alcohol in your life that you don't know about.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Something doesn't compute here. To have a true BAC of .03-.05 on a consistent basis you'd need to be ingesting several units of alcohol. Unless you are blowing immediately into it each time after using a breath spray or mouthwash containing alcohol. You'd almost certainly get sick from the Antabuse if you had a true BAC at that level. Have you checked with your doctor?