Notices

I think I'm ready to face Xmas :-)

Old 12-23-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm ready to face Xmas :-)

Hi all. Day 24 here.

My brother popped over earlier today and started talking about all the drinking he has done lately and how much fun he has had.

My first feelings were envy and jealousy. About a minute after those feelings subsided, my thoughts snapped and I realized I wasn't feeling that way at all. If anything, I was feeling really pleased with myself. I have lost weight , feel better and I'm a little intrigued at the challenge of handling a lot of people drinking around me at xmas. ;-p

Today was also the last day of work for the year and for about 5 minutes I was hanging for an icy cold beer or 10 to reward myself for the past year. Depression hit as did boredom. What would I do without those icy cold beers ?

As soon as those minutes elapsed that wonderful thing called sanity popped into my head. The endless opportunity that will present itself has never happened before. Not since I was around 14 anyway. I'm now 35.

I will have all this free time to accomplish things and not have to worry about hangovers or do stupid things. It's quite enlightening :-)

Anyway .. I know it will be an interesting challenge but I'm going to set more goals and tick them all off at the end of my 19 days off.

I'll go back to work feeling fresh , feeling better and even looking better. I'll post some before and after pics!

Usually I go back to work looking like crap , wondering where the holidays went and weighing about 5 kilos heavier.

I'm a little excited. It's been about 20 years since I have had a sober Xmas.

I hope you all have a great time. As good as possible and you all get through it OK.

Enjoy !

Last edited by sillyguy; 12-23-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typos on phone
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Xmas sillyguy - you can do this

D
Old 12-24-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post. I know exactly what you mean. This is my first sober xmas in 27 years and I am also excited by the prospect of being positive and healthy and not regretting the night before. Sounds like you have a lot to gain so see it through dude....
Old 12-24-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays Sillyguy
Old 12-24-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me I think my biggest asset to my sobriety is my hindsight. Maybe because I've written in my journal as many memories about my drinking that I can remember. Even specific times of the year. Christmas being one of them. One Christmas in particular was especially memorable because I had the week between Christmas and New Years off (like I do this year) and it was a constant repetition of booze and trying to accomplish stuff in my free time. But I never really fully enjoyed any of it. Left work early Christmas Eve, stopped at the bar, had a punch of pints, stopped at the liq on the way home and loaded up on booze. Got hammered that night. Woke up and drove 100 miles to the inlaws all hungover. Got there and cracked a beer and tried to pace myself because they don't drink nearly as rapid as I did but I still managed to take down most of a 12 pack. Woke up hungover, tried to fight it off while going sledding with the kids. Went to the liq to get more beers got drunk while everyone else waiting until 8 to have their one glass of wine or mixed drink. Woke up hungover and drove another 100 to my parents. Stopped at a brew pub and got a couple growlers, mom bought me some goos stuff too. Drank a bunch of that. Woke up hungover and tried to enjoy hiking in the woods with the kids. Had a beer here and there and ended up drunk again. Woke up hungover and went home and basically did the same thing over and over for the next 7 days. Get drunk, wake up trying to make something of my time off only to fizzle at it and end up at the liq spending money on more booze and drinking as soon as I could. Over and over again basically only feeling good when I was drinking. What a pathetic way to spend the season.

This is how I stay sober. I think about the sickness and waste of time. The struggle to do something when I know deep down all I really want to do is drink just to make me feel better from the hangover I put myself in the night before. I have one sober holiday under my belt. I would say two because the year prior to last I made the decision to not drink at the inlaws or parents houses and though I didn't my brain was thinking about it constantly. Which is why moderation is unhealthy. But yes, sober holiday #2 is already underway. It's such a relief to know that I'm free to enjoy it in it's entirety.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Inspiring post, Sillyguy.
It's got to be so important to have a plan and see the bigger picture before the event rather than just try to wing it on the day. Hopefully a plan will help provide strength in those inevitable "I could have just a couple it is Christmas" moments.......
Old 12-24-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is great you are ready to face......wait for it......................life!
You can not hide from alcohol!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Nice post. I know exactly what you mean. This is my first sober xmas in 27 years and I am also excited by the prospect of being positive and healthy and not regretting the night before. Sounds like you have a lot to gain so see it through dude....
Good luck ubntubnt! I know you can do it too! Have a good day mate. Here we go!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
For me I think my biggest asset to my sobriety is my hindsight. Maybe because I've written in my journal as many memories about my drinking that I can remember. Even specific times of the year. Christmas being one of them. One Christmas in particular was especially memorable because I had the week between Christmas and New Years off (like I do this year) and it was a constant repetition of booze and trying to accomplish stuff in my free time. But I never really fully enjoyed any of it. Left work early Christmas Eve, stopped at the bar, had a punch of pints, stopped at the liq on the way home and loaded up on booze. Got hammered that night. Woke up and drove 100 miles to the inlaws all hungover. Got there and cracked a beer and tried to pace myself because they don't drink nearly as rapid as I did but I still managed to take down most of a 12 pack. Woke up hungover, tried to fight it off while going sledding with the kids. Went to the liq to get more beers got drunk while everyone else waiting until 8 to have their one glass of wine or mixed drink. Woke up hungover and drove another 100 to my parents. Stopped at a brew pub and got a couple growlers, mom bought me some goos stuff too. Drank a bunch of that. Woke up hungover and tried to enjoy hiking in the woods with the kids. Had a beer here and there and ended up drunk again. Woke up hungover and went home and basically did the same thing over and over for the next 7 days. Get drunk, wake up trying to make something of my time off only to fizzle at it and end up at the liq spending money on more booze and drinking as soon as I could. Over and over again basically only feeling good when I was drinking. What a pathetic way to spend the season.

This is how I stay sober. I think about the sickness and waste of time. The struggle to do something when I know deep down all I really want to do is drink just to make me feel better from the hangover I put myself in the night before. I have one sober holiday under my belt. I would say two because the year prior to last I made the decision to not drink at the inlaws or parents houses and though I didn't my brain was thinking about it constantly. Which is why moderation is unhealthy. But yes, sober holiday #2 is already underway. It's such a relief to know that I'm free to enjoy it in it's entirety.
Holiday number #2# Nice.

I can empathise with the above. I've done it many times. Even when sober I was thinking about when I can get the next drink.

Its freeing being able to live in the moment and appreciate all the other stuff such as family in good health , no war (where I am) etc. Not sitting there wondering if people will notice I have just had 3-4 beers to there one and if they will say anything if I sneak another.

Have a great day all
Old 12-24-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a positive post silly - I love it.

I had been drinking every holiday for almost 30 yrs. when I quit. For my first holiday season I was a bit resentful & sorry for myself. I don't know why, since drinking had ceased to be fun many years before. You are right, it's wonderful to be free of it. It became a huge burden to try and keep up appearances and not make fools of ourselves.
You're doing great.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 24 is fantastic!! You can do this!!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Hi ubntubnt . I hope your night is going well. I have managed to not touch a drop. There is plenty of drinking going on but its not phasing me.

I hope you are getting through the night too. 27 years ! I had a think and I believe its around 22 years as I started drinking around 13.

Anyway merry Xmas all