Notices

Struggling

Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You need to stop wishing you could go back to the "good times." You can't go back once you cross that line into alcoholism. You're going to have to suffer through a tough period it's as simple as that, but when you emerge from it you will be a better man.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Old 12-19-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't wish to go back to the good times, I wish i could go back to stop myself from ever walking down this road, but I understand what's done is done. I can't go back, I can't undo what's done, wish as I might. I'll just keep moving forward and do my best to stick with it.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Will..POWER.
Get yourself in the right frame of mind. One of the reasons AA didn't work for me is I was tired of the sob stories. And yes I fell into the same trap of feeling sorry and "ashamed" of myself. Harsh but it's true. And yes I'm only a couple of days back on track but its wonderful.
When I quit before that was the key and it's the key for me right now. Positive Positive Positive. Don't listen to the old you thinking of the "good times" you'll miss. You really don't miss them, and now you can remember them. You don't have to drink to act like a jackass and let loose.
WHO decides how YOU live and have fun? Hopefully not a bottle of crap that doesn't even know your name.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

will, have you into Rational Recovery and AVRT? that really works for me. Give it a look.

AA is a good program. You might check out some different meetings. It's good for the fellowship and support. The 12 Steps work. It's good way to repair the damage we've done to our lives while in the addiction.

rational recovery just made sense to me. AVRT makes sense. It gave me a much better understanding on how addiction works. check out the threads in the Secular Connections section.

Love from Lenina
Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WillLess View Post
I don't wish to go back to the good times, I wish i could go back to stop myself from ever walking down this road, but I understand what's done is done. I can't go back, I can't undo what's done, wish as I might. I'll just keep moving forward and do my best to stick with it.
I know that feeling. The crazy thing is once you are sober long enough it almost feels like you never did go down that road. You forget about where you came from and have to remind yourself not to go back.

My point is it may seem like you got yourself into a huge mess but you can definately turn it around to the point where it's nothing but a distant memory. Where you essentially feel as if you have undid what was done.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Willless. I am sorry to hear that you've been struggling so much in attempting to get sober. One of things you may want to consider is that you may need inpatient rehab. Have you considered that option?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

One of the blessings of my past:
I have a whoooollle lotta experience of what doesn't work too good.

And
There is the possibility that the wreckage can be cleaned up.happened to me.

Keep on trudgin!!! It WILL get easier IF ya work for it!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Im almost 4 weeks without alcohol. Boredom was also a big trigger for me. I've finally dragged myself to the gym after I get home from work. Excersing works wonders.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's not going to be a walk in the park. But the longer you keep from drinking, the easier it does become to maintain sobriety.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The two guys who started AA weren't particularly fond of religion either.

Bill wrote about it in the book and Bob was going to church etc to try and recover but from what I've read, it was more his wife's idea and he was there under sufferance.

It's very very normal to be fearful about the religious stuff.

Eventually though, the alcoholic life is more fearful.

Shazam.... Booze forces us into a new angle.... "willing to go to any lengths"
Old 12-20-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well I made it yesterday. Day 1 in the books. Now on to day 2. Thank you all for the kindness and understanding. It helped tremendously.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's great, will. Stick around for more support. You can do this!