SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Ism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/353448-ism.html)

Linz 12-13-2014 03:20 PM

Ism

Would thinking, but not typically acting on that thought be an "ism" that they speak about in AA?

dsmaxis10 12-13-2014 04:06 PM

I sponsor myself

markz 12-13-2014 05:04 PM

On "ISM'S" - Pretty muddy waters we are stepping in here. What because we say "Alcoholism" we take the last 3 words and relate it to any addiction?

Gamblism
Narcoism
Sexism
Smoke'ism
Workism

Addiction is just an addiction. Its all exactly the same, when we talk about the alcoholic, its the same mind frame as the druggie, gambler, pill popper, workaholic, sex addict. If one is good, 100 is even better!

Hawks 12-13-2014 05:15 PM

Internal Spiritual Maladjustment.

That's about the best description of the isms talked about in AA.

Essentially they show up in life as "immature emotions"

Can't deal with stress, anxiety, anger, sadness etc etc, so we drank to escape them.

LexieCat 12-13-2014 05:31 PM

I like the saying, "It's alcoholISM, not alcohoWASM."

Linz, what kind of thought are you referring to?

fini 12-13-2014 06:07 PM

Linz,

what thought?

and no, i haven't found that "addiction is just addiction" holds true for me. i had no smokism or nicotinism, but i do have alcoholism

totfit 12-13-2014 07:16 PM

Any other "isms" are other "isms". I think folks try and add too much to the addiction, when typically "isms" are just "humanism". Not all behaviors are tied to the inability to drink alcohol in a moderate fashion. I think we try to lump everything into one big ball, when our lives are really a jar of marbles.

24hrsAday 12-13-2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hawks (Post 5074810)

Can't deal with stress, anxiety, anger, sadness etc etc, so we drank to escape them.

interesting take there Hawks..

sugarbear1 12-13-2014 07:50 PM

I See Me

Gottalife 12-13-2014 11:22 PM

Internal spiritual malady. Treat that and the drink problem will cease to exist.

Another is incredibly short memory, referring to the lack of an effective defence against the first drink that can be experienced at certain times.

IOAA2 12-14-2014 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hawks (Post 5074810)

Right on in my view! :tyou

BE WELL

Linz 12-14-2014 05:47 AM

Just thoughts in general. I make plans all day long, and have made so many plans that I've run out of room on the calendar. But have I done any of those things? Mostly not.

fini 12-14-2014 08:15 AM

er...isn't that just called procrastination?
:)

Boleo 12-14-2014 09:32 AM

Alcohol-ISSUES = the consequences that follow drinking too much.

Alcohol-ISM = the subtle insanity that precedes drinking too much.

freshstart57 12-14-2014 10:04 AM

This appears to be an AA construct which is predicated on the thought that there are things wrong with you in the complete absence of alcohol, that are responsible for your alcohol consumption. If you remove alcohol, you are still left with ISM. The things I have seen described as ISMs here and elsewhere in the AA context are common reactions many of us have to everyday events. Selfishness, irritability, inability (at times) to self regulate, impatience, lack of empathy, emotional immaturity, a desire for attention and approval are listed as components of ISM. Some think that these characteristics are capable of being addressed and corrected through the pursuit of a more spiritual existence.

Carlotta 12-14-2014 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by fini (Post 5075709)
er...isn't that just called procrastination?
:)

That is what I was going to say. Welcome to the human race, I think that most everyone alcoholic or not procrastinates at one point or another like I am doing right now ;)
http://gamerfathergeek.com/wp-conten...nate-today.jpg

Soberpotamus 12-14-2014 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Linz (Post 5074599)
Would thinking, but not typically acting on that thought be an "ism" that they speak about in AA?

That could be several things, really. Somewhat of a vague question.

Like Fini said, could be procrastination. Could be "wisdom" if you are pausing and considering, and then choosing not to react to something. Could be that you are analytical... preferring to think a lot.

Depends on the context of what you're referring to, I think.

IOAA2 12-14-2014 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by freshstart57 (Post 5075868)
This appears to be an AA construct which is predicated on the thought that there are things wrong with you in the complete absence of alcohol, that are responsible for your alcohol consumption. If you remove alcohol, you are still left with ISM. The things I have seen described as ISMs here and elsewhere in the AA context are common reactions many of us have to everyday events. Selfishness, irritability, inability (at times) to self regulate, impatience, lack of empathy, emotional immaturity, a desire for attention and approval are listed as components of ISM. Some think that these characteristics are capable of being addressed and corrected through the pursuit of a more spiritual existence.

Hi.

A lot more can be added like fear which includes anxiety, procrastination, financial and other insecurities. And the list goes on and on.

These characteristics were eased by our escape mechanism, alcohol, which we became addicted to.

In AA using the steps we condition ourselves to handling these situations in a healthy manner without drinking.

It’s interesting that they have worked for about 75 years for millions who practiced them.

BE WELL

fini 12-14-2014 07:20 PM

Some think that these characteristics are capable of being addressed and corrected through the pursuit of a more spiritual existence.

a lot of people not only think that these characteristics can be addressed and corrected through the pursuit of a more spiritual existence (i'd not term it that, but something like "a more spiritual way of life/spiritual 'practice' ") but experience it as being so.

and that is regardless of whether they're alcoholic or not, addicts or not, anything or not.

a lot of people simply experience that incorporating spiritual practices and 'principles' into their lives removes or eases traits that bring them and others misery.
to put it generally.

Boleo 12-14-2014 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by fini (Post 5076782)

a lot of people not only think that these characteristics can be addressed and corrected through the pursuit of a more spiritual existence (i'd not term it that, but something like "a more spiritual way of life/spiritual 'practice' ") but experience it as being so.

experience is the key word here. Those who have no such experience can only speculate about it. Those who do have the experience can only talk about it using words that are hopelessly inadequate to convey such an experience from one person to another.

experience differs from ideology the same way a map differs from the terrain.