Notices

Ism

Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by fini View Post
A lot of people not only think that these characteristics can be addressed and corrected through the pursuit of a more spiritual existence but experience it as being so.

and that is regardless of whether they're alcoholic or not, addicts or not, anything or not.

a lot of people simply experience that incorporating spiritual practices and 'principles' into their lives removes or eases traits that bring them and others misery.
to put it generally.
Agree with you completely, fini. As you say, a lot of folks seek ways to live more satisfying lives whether they have substance abuse problems or not. Some do it through spiritual pursuits. I'm personally a fan.

I believe that it is more often my behaviours than traits that need fixing in order to ease the misery of others.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"Take away the ism, take away the ist. What kind of language then will exist?

A line from a song i wrote years ago. Sometimes we tend to get to carried away with putting everything into nice neat boxes and lists.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's AA speak but came into the rooms in the heyday of treatment, the 80's. Nowadays I hear "Do the next right thing" ---as if doing the next wrong thing is always needling me. The ism stuff is just something an armchair philosopher made up and got repeated more than it should have. Good rule of thumb- If it sounds odd it's because it is.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
The ism stuff is just something an armchair philosopher made up and got repeated more than it should have. Good rule of thumb- If it sounds odd it's because it is.
If I said that I don't believe in orgasms because I never had one, would that change your experience one little bit?

To those who never experienced an orgasm first hand, they "sound odd".