Notices

Babysitting

Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Babysitting

Tomorrow I am watching my 2 and 5 year old grandsons for the day. My daughter in law and my wife and others are going shopping for the day. My son had plans to go skeet shooting with his buddies.This is just one of several times recently that I have been asked to take care of the boys.

Well this does not sound like a big deal but a couple of years ago this would not be heard of. Nobody would have trusted this old drunk with their children. (Who would blame them).

It has been a slow grueling process earning back the trust of my loved ones. In early recovery it's hard to understand that you are really working hard and nobody seems to have much trust or confidence in your actions. The thing is I put them through so much disappointment for so many years that it is very difficult to overcome their resentment. So many lies, so many broken promises, so much deception. The one thing they could count on was that I was going to be intoxicated and couldn't be trusted.

I guess my point is that when we have finally come out of the haze to have patience with those close to us. Only consistent actions and progress with your own recovery can you slowly help those close to you recover from the carnage of you previous actions. When you get discouraged, keep at it. It is worth the struggle.

One of my big motivations in this whole process is my grandchildren never having the memory of a drunk Granpa.

I look forward to noise and havoc in my house tomorrow. Christmas is going to be a blast too!

Have a great weekend!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
I guess my point is that when we have finally come out of the haze to have patience with those close to us. Only consistent actions and progress with your own recovery can you slowly help those close to you recover from the carnage of you previous actions. When you get discouraged, keep at it. It is worth the struggle.
this is sooooo true! thanks for the message and soak up the joy of grandbaby time!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for posting this! So encouraging!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a lovely post. Shows how much you can turn things around once your sober!

Thank you.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nice!! I've seen many families heal when the alcoholic chooses recovery and becomes consistent, reliable, and dependable again.

Enjoy the kiddos!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have a great time with your grandsons!!!!!

Congratulations on your sobriety and the new trust you have earned from your family.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Enjoy, and congrats on such a huge milestone. I'm currently going through similar issues with my own son and his mother, who is not a drinker. I used to resent her for not allowing me to be alone with my own son, but after the fog cleared I knew I was only lying to myself. After breaking my own promises and betraying her trust so many times, she's doing what a good mother does- ensuring the safety of her child. At least I know there is hope that time does heal.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is a great example of the positive changes sobriety can have on our lives, Have a great holiday with your grandkids !
Old 12-14-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
Tomorrow I am watching my 2 and 5 year old grandsons for the day. My daughter in law and my wife and others are going shopping for the day. My son had plans to go skeet shooting with his buddies.This is just one of several times recently that I have been asked to take care of the boys.

Well this does not sound like a big deal but a couple of years ago this would not be heard of. Nobody would have trusted this old drunk with their children. (Who would blame them).

It has been a slow grueling process earning back the trust of my loved ones. In early recovery it's hard to understand that you are really working hard and nobody seems to have much trust or confidence in your actions. The thing is I put them through so much disappointment for so many years that it is very difficult to overcome their resentment. So many lies, so many broken promises, so much deception. The one thing they could count on was that I was going to be intoxicated and couldn't be trusted.

One of my big motivations in this whole process is my grandchildren never having the memory of a drunk Granpa.

I look forward to noise and havoc in my house tomorrow. Christmas is going to be a blast too!

Have a great weekend!
This is what it's all about!