Notices

Rational recovery vs AA

Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

Rational recovery vs AA

Has anyone here tried Rational Recovery and returned to AA or started AA because AVRT didn't work for them? Or vice versa? I've been going to AA off and on (mostly on) for about 3 months now. I feel like it has helped me stop lying to myself and admit that I do have a real problem with alcohol, and its made me want to be a better person, but I don't think it was right for me. I just got the Rational Recovery book in the mail yesterday and I'm already half way through the book. I think it could work. What are your experiences with different recovery methods?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

I used a hodgepodge of things that worked for me, including AA and RR, along with a bunch of other stuff...CBT, lifering, nutrition, SR.

What I am finding is they all work, if the person works.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Erin, I've had success using several things I've learned and picked up from multiple programs. I've used SMART, AVRT and RR, WFS, and AA. They are all very different and offer unique approaches. SMART has some good tools and worksheets. AVRT seemed quite intuitive to me, and I still think of my addiction using the AV concept sometimes. Women For Sobriety offered a forum and face to face meetings where I was surrounded by positive women in recovery. They focus on empowering you, positive affirmations and lifestyle change. Then, of course, there's AA. The 12 Steps were helpful to me for providing structure to what I see many of us in recovery doing naturally without a structured program... recovering emotionally, spiritually... the whole "psychic change" deal.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

AA is the only form of recovery in my area to my knowledge.

Sorry, I can't give you any feedback on other types of recovery.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I don't look at it as one method verses another (although Trimpey might disagree). I don't see them as opposed to one another because they both have the same goal, the complete sensation of alcohol use. There is no conflict there. The method is quite different and mileage varies for different people with each method.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, the whole vs thing we try to avoid here. I've used AA all my life and I'm kinda on the fringe now. I joined this site, grokked "AVRT Explained" as soon as I read it, quit, have used it and SR since. I still stay in loose contact with AA members from my home group because we're friends and still hang with my sponsor sometimes. So I guess I do what I want and I want to keep multiple tools in the box.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery seems to be a valid choice.
It wasnt the right one for me, but yes I have tried it.
I think the scientific approach is valid, but I have tried it and I got drunk.
See keeping "busy" or "distracting myself" didnt work.
I couldnt avoid, or ignore what my problem was.
I have to face it head on, deal with it as an adult, and stop wimpering and cowering in the corner like a child. I am speaking for myself, as always and I shouldnt have to repeat that, but like anything, we humans take things personally.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Not familiar with rational recovery - I have tried many times irrational recovery, for sure!

AA and SR is what has thus far worked for me, today.
Huge proponent of whatever works for you is the best choice

Good thread and natural to explore thoughts/ideas from others.
Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 12-11-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I don't think any method is "wrong" so long as it works for that person. I'm just curious about what did and did not work for everyone. I don't mean to offend.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am a hard core AAer but RR is good stuff but you have to get past the anti AA rhetoric of Jack. I used RR when I quit smoking recently and it is very effective in stopping or minimizing the cravings. I quit once for 6 months using RR exclusively.

I use AA for long term sobriety because it addresses the social and psychological aspects of my sobriety. I am of the opinion that my alcoholism was just a symptom of my real problems and RR just does not address my underlying issues.

I do believe if you could find a social network of sober people and the proper psychological help it would be possible to have long term sobriety.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-11-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I went to AA meetings and bought and read their book, but didn't find a good fit there. I quit drinking anyway, and when I recounted my ideas here at SR about my sobriety I was told by a member that what I was doing was AVRT. I was surprised to learn it had a name, but when I learned more about AVRT, it seemed less of a surprise as AVRT is described as 'the lore of the self-recovered'. It described exactly what I had done.

If you are curious about AVRT, check out the Rational Recovery website and the Secular Connections forum, and you will find lots of support there too.

Erin, believe in yourself, and that you deserve a life free of the misery of addiction, and then demand nothing less. You can choose to quit drinking for good, and do it.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I tried everything and ultimately found that the particular method was irrelevant compared to the personal motivation and commitment. I drastically de-cluttered my sobriety toolbox and things are working much better.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

"...Neuroscientists have begun to recognize that some of the most important brain systems impaired in addiction are those in the prefrontal cortex that regulate social cognition, self-monitoring, moral behaviour and other processes that the AA-type approach seems to target...."

4 March 2009; Neuroscience: "Rethinking rehab", Jim Schnabel, Nature 458.

Rational Recovery seems to me to be based on the premise that addiction is a function of much more primitive parts of the brain, and that the more advanced parts of our brain can out-think the "beast."
Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

ColdFusion, that's a really great insight. On a purely neurophysiological level, the benefits of both AA and RR would seem to involve strengthening the functioning of the prefrontal cortex (although, I suspect, in quite different ways).
Old 12-11-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm just about ten months into AA and considering other options. I still go to AA meetings and think I can learn a lot there. I plan on investigating RR and some other avenues, but don't anticipate any serious conflicts regarding my continued attendance at AA.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had to do some light housecleaning.

Just a reminder: lets all post responsibly please.

RRers and AAers all get along here amazingly and remarkably well thanks to a lot of effort behind the scenes from our admin Morning Glory.
Let's all reflect that effort

Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 12-11-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

RR didn't resonate with me.

If I could have just changed my mind and stopped.... I would have been OK from around the age of 28, when I first started trying to quit.

I tried everything.... Books, gyms, jobs, money, attitude adjustment, Tony Robbins tapes, week long self help courses, psychology, therapy, RR etc etc.

AA has been revolutionary, 12 steps and a God as I understand Him.... Im free for the first time since the age of 12.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think the best way is to research as much as you can and then try what you believe best resonates with you and makes the most sense to you. For me personally I really struggled, and still do, with some aspects of AA, but it has undeniably helped millions of people so I must conclude that it is a deeply effective system.

Discovering the AVRT system immediately resonated with me and I had never heard of it before joining SR. Its been a very effective tool for me but I can similarly see how it would not be effective for others. Do you homework and see what reaches out for you seems to be the best advice I can give at this stage.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I got sober in AA and for that I am eternally grateful. I learned a lot about myself and the reasons I drank, but after a year, certain concepts started to bug me. So I also bought the RR book and it resonated with me, although I don't share Mr Trimpeys obvious disdain for AA. I've been free of AA for about a month and using AVRT has been working for me. I approach it as "AA will always be there for me if I ever feel the need to go back to it".
Old 12-12-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi.
When I finally stopped drinking with the guidance of AA it was about the only show in town. The rehabs, Doctors, clergy and others guided alcoholics there. This was before the internet was a word.
I’ve stuck with it because “if it works, don’t fix it.” was my belief.

Today I believe there are a number of “programs” that will work IF the alcoholic works them long term.

Many seem to have a feeling that I’m OK now so I can stop doing what helped me and then they slide back down the slippery slope of relapsing.

Sobriety takes work and it becomes a habit with little effort.

BE WELL