Notices

Day 4. Why so tired?

Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4. Why so tired?

Hello all

Well today is Day 4 sober. Went to bed at 01:30 last night and fell asleep shortly after. Woke up at 11:45. Solid sleep. Didn't waken once. Although, somehow the alarms I had set on my phone switched themselves off?! (I must have done it?!)

Yet I still feel tired. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've also successfully cut down from smoking 20-25 cigarettes per day, to 10 cigarettes per day!!!

Hope you're all well!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleep is very healing for your body. You won't be tired forever... How was your sleep when you were drinking? Mine was terrible. It's now much improved.

Listen to your body and give it what it needs during these first days and weeks. It's recovering.

Congratulations on day 4 and on reducing your cigs! Well done!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

am658, congratulations on day 4! I know what a huge achievement that is, as an ex daily drinker. Expect a few changes as time goes by, with your body and your moods. It's all good though because you're going in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sleep when I was drinking:

* Don't remember having any dreams (apparently that's a bad thing because I wasn't getting REM sleep);
* Sometimes would have awoken 2-3 hours after going to sleep and stayed awake the rest of the night. Probably a mixture of the alcohol and the caffeine in the coca-cola I used as a mixer;

Thank God those days are gone!!!
Old 12-09-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day four is great. Those early days can be hard. Your body has a lot of healing to do. Sounds like you are doing what is right for you. Keep up the good work. So proud of you.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was normal for me, Sleep when you can if you're tired and eventually your energy will return.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days! Like everyone else has said, your body is catching up and starting to heal. My advice would be to go with it and if you need to nap during the day then that's what you should do. Expect a few highs and lows with energy and try and eat well. Good luck! It's worth it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by am658 View Post

I truly think that we should not expect much on day 4 of sobriety
this sober road for most takes time and much effort
best, just to stay grateful that we are not drinking today

all else seems to work out if we continue to do the right things in life

MM
Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by am658 View Post

Totally! The first week, I was super tired and was sleeping at least nine hours every night.

As others have said, our bodies need to heal. And while mine is still healing at just over 2 weeks, I have to say that I have MUCH more energy now. You will too!

Great job. :-)
Old 12-09-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For starters, you are going to feel perpetually exhausted for at least a week depending on how heavy a drinker you were. It's perfectly normal. The first month overall, will be rather grueling and even painful, depending or not on weather you have medical care available.

Welcome to the road to sobriety.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi am658!

Day four for me too and I think it's just our bodies getting used to sober sleep...I never slept more than a few hours when I was drinking...would always wake up startled and panicked in the middle of the night then would be too anxious to even fall asleep again!

Like others have said, it will get better the longer we are sober.
I'm trying to just live in the moment with all these changes, both physical and emotional...we need to be gentle with ourselves.

Congrats on 4 days!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Am i felt rough at day 4
Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, spent the day finishing off my aquarium. Then about 1 hour ago got a slight craving for alcohol. I went and ate some grapefruit; it has the tangy-ness of alcohol without the alcohol

Feeling tired still; thankfully I've been off work these past few days (it couldn't have worked out better, timing wise). then next week I'm back up to full time hours

Don't know how many of you are from the UK, but it's SO windy here and wet!! But I may just brace the elements and go for a long walk later on...
Old 12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, you are doing well. I was always very tired on day 4 and 5, then it started to lift and energy grew. Hang in there.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I did nothing but sleep all the way up until this last week or two. I work at night so I am able to grab a nap after lunch. But that is finally starting to go away. And it has been over 70 days! I called it healing. I felt guilty for napping so much so I said I was healing. And you are! Some days I force myself to get through, some days are effortless, and some days I succumb to sleep. Your body is going through a lot of changes right now. Listen to it.

Jennifer
Old 12-09-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
I did nothing but sleep all the way up until this last week or two. I work at night so I am able to grab a nap after lunch. But that is finally starting to go away. And it has been over 70 days! I called it healing. I felt guilty for napping so much so I said I was healing. And you are! Some days I force myself to get through, some days are effortless, and some days I succumb to sleep. Your body is going through a lot of changes right now. Listen to it.

Jennifer
I agree, during the day I slept almost all the time that I did not absolutely have to be awake for the first 30- 45 days when I stopped drinking. My body just could not handle being awake. I felt like I deserved every bit of sober rest that I got. But at night it was a different story, I struggled at times to fine a restful sleep, but that eventually came too.

It was awesome when I started dreaming again and remembering the dreams. It was even better when the dreams started to be happy.

You didn't get this way overnight and you will not get back to normal overnight either, BUT the feelings of peace that come with prolonged sobriety are well worth it.

Be kind to yourself and let yourself rest and recover. It is a long process and you cant rush it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was extremely fatigued for the first month and still feel it at five months. There are also bursts of energy too. I can feel myself still healing. It's like our bodies are making up for years of feeling exhausted. Great job! I found the first four days harder than four months!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Hi am658!

I never slept more than a few hours when I was drinking...would always wake up startled and panicked in the middle of the night then would be too anxious to even fall asleep again!
DITTO! And I would think to myself, "You MUST go back to sleep!" But instead I would start stumbling around the house, looking for my phone to read the awful text messages and ridiculous FB posts.

Do not miss that one bit!

Congrats to you, Brynn - I know you have made some big changes in your life!
Old 12-12-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm day 5 and I have been so tired too...
I am trying to listen to my body and feeling
how truly exhausted I must have been becoming ...

Sleep is good
Old 12-15-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good job. It's part of sobriety. I believe that you can stop smoking too.