Notices

Can't do it alone

Old 12-08-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Never Again

Can't do it alone

Celebrated my 50th birthday this year and am just a broken record. Drinking, feeling miserable, stopping for long periods of time, and then just going back to the old patterns. Finally cost me my marriage, last year, due to the years of neglecting what was important. I visit SR frequently and appreciate all of the love and support that is given here. I've always been such an introvert, which has kept me from reaching out for help. I know that that I'm going to have to make some fundamental changes to myself, if I'm ever going to kick this. I'm ready to start into the AA program and would like some advice on how to get started. I'm in a large city, so there are many options. I'm confused by the open and closed meetings, and how to begin. I'd also like some insight on what to expect when I walk in that door the first time. God bless!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
In large cities there are many meetings a day and night.

C = closed meeting for those with an alcohol problem or think they have.

O = Open to all visitors and alcoholics.

OD = open discussion meetings where many topics can be approached.

CD= Discussion for alcoholics only.

We can start right NOW. Hoe soon do you want to get better? It’s not an overnight fix just as it didn’t take a short time for most of us to get to this point.

The people at meetings understand us and particular the stress we put ourself into about our 1st meetings. We don’t have to say anything unless you want to just say your name.
I suggest just listening and identifying not comparing with the feelings expressed. If you can’t afford it don’t feel bad for not contributing.
Try talking to some one you might feel in tune with or just mingle and say hello.
I suggest trying different meetingS to get an idea of what happens at each and perhaps feel more comfortable. O speaker meetings have a couple speakers and are listen only meetings.

The best info I got at first was “KEEP COMING.” SO I’LL SAY THE SAME - KEEP COMING.

BE WELL
Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

There are basically 2 meeting types; OPEN and CLOSED.

OPEN is for everyone and anyone interested in hearing about AA in general. Those that give talks there don't much care who is listening and don't much care if their stories get passed around outside of the meeting.

CLOSED meetings are for alcoholics only who take their Anonymity very seriously and wan't their stories to be kept in strict confidentiality.

Beyond that, every meeting has local guidelines set by the individual meeting "Group Conscious" members and may vary from one meeting to the next. I recommend that you try at least 10 different meetings before you judge AA as a whole. The first meeting you go to may not be a good example of a typical meeting.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also the meetings you may not care for today you may like next time. Part of that may be because alcoholics are in attendance and we’re a changeable lot at times with many different personalities. It works even if.

BE WELL
Old 12-08-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I suggest that you call and speak to someone who is volunteering at your local AA office. They can answer specific questions and give you information as well as their opinion about groups locally. Here is a site to help you find the phone number. Alcoholics Anonymous

Here is a website to help with general questions. Your First AA Meeting<
Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR BarOwnersSon

D
Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Never Again

Thanks everyone. I did a drive-by this evening on the way home from work and was very surprised by the attendance. Guess that I expected a room of 10 people, whereas this meeting easily had 30. Due to another commitment (really), I was unable to attend tonight. I will be going to my first meeting this week. By the way, this is Day 2 for me. I really appreciate the support.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 2 BoS

& big welcome to the forum
Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was also very surprised by how many people were at my first AA meeting. It was a freezing cold Monday night. There had to be 40 people. They came from all walks of life. Some looked like your stereotypical alcoholic "bums" while others were more straight laced business types.

It was oddly comforting to know that I am not alone and yet sad to see how many people in all situations are effected by this terrible addiction.

I did not regret going. I heard some really helpful stuff from people who have been through it all- the addiction, the withdrawal and steady sobriety.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Never Again

Starting Day 4 and knowing that I will not drink today. Attended my first ever AA meeting last night and was overwhelmed by the amount of support that I felt from the group. So there are people with the same feelings, who've traveled similar roads, and ended up with the same realization that they too couldn't go it alone? Feeling so positive today. One day at a time, but I look forward to this day.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job getting a plan and program in place BOS.

You can do this!