Notices

Should I become an active member of AA

Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fishinainteasy View Post
Ok. So I'm an active member of my church again, seeing a therapist, and reading quite a bit of recovery based/spiritual literature. But I'm scared it's not enough. I don't want to drink again. I barely escaped with my life this time and I don't want to go back. I'm working on fixing myself and my character flaws. And also my mental flaws. Isn't that what the steps are about? I will admit that I don't want to give up more of my time. But I'm willing. Am I doing enough? I have support and people I can confide in. I pray my tail off and am having a great go at it but when it comes to my sobriety. I want perfection from here on out. No more relapses. No more changing my mind but today I considered drinking and it scared me.
What the steps are about is getting a HP that will help you. Its getting a belief in a HP. Its about helping other people. Its about change. Must change the way we think, or else. Its live life on a spiritual basis, or alcoholic death. Your choice!
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think face to face support from people who know exactly where you are coming from would be helpful. Despite having gone through an intense 6 week inpatient rehab, I doubt I would have made it without AA.

Two of your comments caught my eye:

I barely escaped with my life this time and I don't want to go back.

I will admit that I don't want to give up more of my time. But I'm willing.
This is your life we are talking about, not reruns of Lavern and Shirley. If your sobriety isn't your first priority, you are putting your life at risk.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks eddie
Old 12-10-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

See if you like it, I don't think it could hurt. I would say though that you may want to try a few different meetings before making up your mind. Each meeting has a different feel to it.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markz View Post
Its live life on a spiritual basis, or alcoholic death. Your choice!
Two choices only? No it's not. Many people get sober and stay sober without living "life on a spiritual basis".

Of course, there nothing wrong with living your life on a spiritual basis, but it's not a requirement for sobriety. And a person won't die if they don't live their life on a spiritual basis.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Am I doing enough?
Are you doing enough? I don’t know about you, but I failed until I did the most important thing. I finally decided that I would stop drinking for good, no "ifs, "ands" or "buts"? Before that, I was doing everything other than fully committing to quitting. I was engaging in a number of recovery activities in the hopes those actions would somehow eliminate my desire for alcohol. They didn’t because I was putting the cart before the horse.

I realized nothing would keep me sober long-term until I finally decide to commit to and fight to become a person who no longer drinks, and will never drink again. I don’t use AA, but two chapters before the 12-Steps are even outlined the Big Book conveys this very idea: "If we are planning to stop drinking , there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol".

IMO without a deep-down commitment to never drink again, almost all recovery activities are nothing but busy work. They would no more get and keep me sober than barking at the full moon each month. I had to firmly decide that I wanted sobriety, and that I would stay sober no matter what obstacles I encountered along the way.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There is no downside to checking out some meetings. Even if you decide it isn't for you, you will get to hear some interesting stories about how alcoholism works. If you are reading material about recovery, it might be cool for you to meet some serious drunks who don't mind talking about themselves and their problems. You can see how what you are reading operates in real life.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I could share my exp. but it would not give you the exp. you seek. Jump in. Observe for a week, get a sponsor, read and share at meetings. You will know within 30 days if it's right for you.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You should stay until your sober. Congratulations and good luck
Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Why do you say you don't want to give up more of your time? What activities are you sacrificing in order to go to an AA meeting? If it prevents you doing paid work or volunteering or caring for your family, of course that's understandable. But most of us just fritter away a lot of time.

Time spent constructively doing things at AA sounds like a good place to be.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Pray about it
Old 12-16-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have been an active member since 1988.

I attribute my sobriety to God and AA, in that order.

Just my ESH.

Glad you are here.