Notices

My story of how I came to Recovery

Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile My story of how I came to Recovery

Hello, my name is Ryan. I'm a recovering addict. I've been sober for 21 days. I started drinking when I was 15 at parties and started smoking pot at 17 to make the days go by quicker. I was just an occasional user until I went to college. I began drinking and smoking every day because I had no self confidence. I was in the closet about being gay, and I was terrified any time someone tried to get to know me. To help with my anxiety, I began drinking and found that I could become the life of the party if I got drunk enough. It was a fun time for awhile until I ended up having to drop out of college and move back home. I lost all my scholarships and grants that I had went to college on. I tried multiple times to go back to school at my community college back home, but because of my continued using, I never completed another semester. I jumped from job to job and from residence to residence always trying to find happiness but not realizing my using would never allow it. Over the years I tried almost every drug out there...coke, crack, meth, pain pills, Xanax, heroin, etc. Alcohol caused me the most problems though, and it wasn't before long that I lost my license and every job I tried to work. The hangovers and consequences got so bad that I began to find more comfort in weed and prescription drugs. A doctor prescribed me Vicodin, anxiety meds, and Adderall. I got into a toxic relationship with an addict and didn't know whether I was coming or going most of the time. Eventually I got out of that relationship, and told myself that I could just smoke pot, and I'd be ok. The pot became an obsession and I spent every extra penny I had on it. The pot always led to me drinking and using other drugs, too. I tried everything I could to control my habits. I tried only using certain drugs, only using on the weekends, only using before bed, only buying so much per week, etc., but nothing ever worked. I overdosed and nearly died a few times. Once was on muscle relaxers, once was on a fentanyl pain patch (while I was on house arrest for a DUI), and once taking Xanax and heroin. It wasn't until last month when I ended up taking nearly a whole prescription of Ambien to come off of speed that I reached my final level of desperation. When I came to, I tried to sleep for several days not knowing what to do next with my life. Finally I decided that I never wanted to feel so miserable again and that I would do anything I could do get better. I quit my job working at a telemarketing place because there were too many users working there, and I started going to NA meetings. Now I've been sober for 3 weeks, signed up for college in the spring, and start a new job tomorrow where I can stay clean. I've had many challenges to my sobriety and know that it isn't going to be easy. However nothing is harder or worse than being unhappy with the life you are living. I now have hope and plan on spreading that hope to other addicts, and recovering addicts that are still suffering. Through God, anything is possible.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ryan - you posted in our Stories of Recovery forum which is only for stories of one year or more so I moved your story here where you'll get more feedback.

D
Old 12-07-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ryan, hope everything goes according to plan and you find your way back to where you were supposed to be.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you Ryan for giving up the booze and drugs. You sound like a younger guy; the sooner you quit, the better off you'll be. Do you have a plan in place to stay sober? SR is a great resource. Visit and post often. Welcome!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!!!
Please, keep coming back!

Lot's of great people here and quality experience, strength and hope!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad you have joined us. This is a very supportive group and anytime you need support, you can come here. I am proud of you. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You for sharing your story Ryan & glad you are here
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome to SR Ryan! Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on 3 weeks clean.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, your story reminds me of myself in some ways, but different in others...but I can relate. You should be proud of 3 weeks and I really hope you stick around. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great to have you here Ryan.

Believe it or not, that story sounds like many, you should be just fine if you cont. doing what you have so far.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You will find lots of support here Ryan. Welcome!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Ryan; glad you are finding your faith a comfort during this time. I do as well. Take care!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Ryan!
What a great plan you've designed. Take active steps to implement it day by day. I wasted so many opportunities by staying in my addictions long past my 20s. I wish i could go back and take advantage of the opportunities that come at your age. Walk firm on your new path. It will take determination, but you'll be better, stronger, more confident with each step you take away from the bad habits of old. Post here often Ryan, lots of great people who can help with questions you'll run into.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry hear about what happen to you ryan. Keep continue what you are doing now just focus to reach your sobriety goal