Notices

sober ramblings

Old 12-06-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober ramblings

During my last couple of years drinking I continued to chase that buzz from the old days. I rarely achieved it, and when I did it only lasted about 20 minutes. The rest was madness and sickness. I'm glad today isn't like that. Today I got up and went to work completely clear-headed and rested, had my hands in high-voltage equipment and dealt with a customer with no alcohol on my breath from the night before or this morning. I was able to do my job and do it well without worrying about smelling like fumes or being spaced out and getting hurt or starting a fire. I didn't argue with my wife last night or cause a scene. We had a nice dinner and watched a movie together. I remember what I was doing right up until I fell asleep.

I haven't drank for almost 7 months (tomorrow will be officially 7), and the hardest part is being me without a way to deceive myself about my health, my relationships, my career, my goals, how I look in the mirror. I did some permanent damage in those last 2 years to friendships, reputation, my body, and my brain. I'll have to live with the nerve, liver, pancreas and joint damage, the emotional hurts I caused other people, the reputation, the wasted money...

It's been tough the last few weeks. But I made it through Thanksgiving holiday and my next goal is Christmas and New Year's. I want to be sober still on 1/1/15. I'll worry about what comes after that when the time comes!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

This is a difficult time of year with the holidays and being surrounded by friends and family. I know one of my biggest issues I will face is not drinking on Xmas and New Years. Thanksgiving was my last day of drinking, and it ended in disaster. I try and look for the silver lining in all of this and focus on the sober memories I will be making and easing the minds of my loved ones stay strong.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. I hope you regularly see your doctor. Its scary what alcohol does and has done to us. Keep posting. We can get through the holidays together!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great you are doing so well! Congrats on 7 months sober!

That's wonderful your able to spend time with your wife and have a good evening together!!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on getting through a tough time and thanksgiving and a big well done on 7 months tomorrow
paloverde

Know that you have us all the way through the holiudays to lean on and be sure to check the surving christmas link he posted

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...trategies.html