Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How to drink normally ***Warning, Very Long Post!!!***

Notices

How to drink normally ***Warning, Very Long Post!!!***

Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I can't even imagine it. I remember being at a local brewery/bar with my drinking buddies when one of them noticed that I had "lapped" them--ordered another beer when they weren't done with theirs--winner! 4 beers an hour was walking speed for me...
yeah we used to call them "bonus rounds" but it became too hard to keep up so we all switched to wine and just told the barman to keep sending over bottles which everyone shared so none knew now much everyone else was drinking just that we were all plastered every time. Near the end I remember 5 of us being on a bender and the waitress was sending them over 2 bottles at a time. By the end of the dinner and before midnight we were 16 bottles down...we kept going until around 7am that night in different bars. We had switched to sambuca after the wine and then back to beer to try sober up. Amazing how quickly it goes from normal to a bit twisted to totally f**ked.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Its funny because thats one of the things I used to fixate about and to be honest still can't understand.....I used to watch normal drinkers drinking wine and stare at their lips to see how much they were taking in. Its almost like they weren't drinking at all. I swear I used to think more of it was evaporating then being drank. How can they have the patience to do that? I mean if you want to drink then just bloody drink, right? Actually, wrong as it turns out.

I would not consider a sip a sip unless at least half of my mouth was full when drinking wine and with beer it would be two or three gulps at a time.

Guinness and red wine were the worst. A pint of guinness would be four sups and white wine for me was not really drinking, I could literally drink it like water.
Lol!!! I found myself nodding my head as I read this. I can so relate!

White wine was like water.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
People who drink normally don't have a voice in their head telling them they can.
And there you have it.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

I never realy had a problem with the drinking, it was the getting drunk part I had a problem with. I thought I could fool myself into thinking I would stop before I got drunk, but its hard to keep up the pretense after the inhibitions wear off with the first few. Getting drunk costs too much for me: mind, body and spirit. So I quit drinking to stop the being drunk part.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I remember many times where I would go to the liquor store with the intention of buying enough to just get a "decent buzz" (i.e. a couple 24 oz of Steel Reserve, a six pack of King Cobra pints, etc.) and then before even making it to the register I would decide the amount wasnt enough and that I needed to buy more...
Old 12-07-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by polaris View Post
I remember many times where I would go to the liquor store with the intention of buying enough to just get a "decent buzz" (i.e. a couple 24 oz of Steel Reserve, a six pack of King Cobra pints, etc.) and then before even making it to the register I would decide the amount wasnt enough and that I needed to buy more...
That was me also. Worst possible thing that could happen would be that i couldn't get a decent enough buzz so i had to pile it on to ensure i was totally blasted. Had to make sure the buzz was on.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by polaris View Post
This gave me a chuckle because I can relate. Any "controlled amount" never worked.

I had all the math down perfectly. It went in three/four day cycles. I drank 500 ml vodka a night which is 2/3 of a fifth.

Day one I would buy a fifth and end up with 1/3 of a fifth left.
Day two I would buy a new fifth, finish the 1/3 of the first one and 1/3 of the second one. This left me with exactly 2/3 of a fifth for day three.
Day three I would have my exact amount, 2/3 of a fifth left, right? Wrong. I would buy another one in case the 2/3 wasn't quite enough that night. Had to have a reserve. What if I spilled a drink?
Day four I would be joyous to arrive home to a full or almost full bottle!

That gave a headache even typing that. Active alcoholism is so damn stressful! So relieved to be sober. I will say that my mental math skills became quite advanced from all that though!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

haha, yes I can relate. I used to limit myself to 1 bottle of wine per day. But then I used to worry that my wife would want a glass so I would buy a second bottle just in case so that I had her glass covered. THEN....I would drink my bottle and encourage her to have a glass so that I could open the second bottle and then you know....once opened red wine goes stale zoo easily, better to finish it off.....
Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Rereading this thread tonight and it's bringing back some memories.

I would look at a half bottle of vodka and not feel relief, like relaxed but worry.......

Will that be enough? That won't be enough. I've had three so far. Can I drive to get more? No, I shouldn't drive, I'll walk to the store. God, such a long walk. Maybe it'll be enough. It'll be enough......it won't be enough. Crap. Where are my keys?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. Which is hard to portray in textual form.
The point was at the end, we alcoholics think about drinking. "Normies" don't!
So it was an oxymoron too I guess. If you are here, and you are looking for help, then you probably have a problem with alcohol, you are probably an alcoholic. No one can diagnose that but yourself. The "Controlled Drinking" idea or "Moderated drinking" is just more "research", just more lies our brain tells us. Normies do not do that.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Take a look at my join date. I spent four years trying to moderate my drinking.

Every night was a clean slate to try my moderating experiment again, and again, and again. There is no sarcasm here either. I really thought I would moderate, eventually.

Every morning I woke up and said to myself, in all seriousness, i've really gotta cut back tonight. Or maybe I won't drink tonight. I really should cut back to just weekends I really thought that one night I'd stop at two or three. "Maybe tonight? Yeah tonight! Nah, I'll cut back tomorrow."

I gave up any hope of moderating and haven't had a drink since June.