Notices

Alcohol Gastritis and peptic ulcers

Old 12-06-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Gastritis and peptic ulcers

I haven't drank in about two months, but over the last few weeks i started having stomach pains and nausea whenever i ate. I have basically lost 30 pounds....I finally went to the emergency room for the second time and they diagnosed me and gave me a good medication regiment. Prilosec twice a day.

Over the last couple of, my husband and i both developed some pretty bad heartburn. The whiskey was definitely the cause of it. It damaged my stomach. But i guess it isn't the worst thing. I had my liver and other organ levels checked. While they are all elevated, it isn't anything abstaining from alcohol and losing weight/getting healthy won't fix.

I have ZERO desire to ever drink and can honestly say that i don't think i ever will again. The fact that i spent 5 years drinking so much every other night of the week grosses me out, even. Maybe a little weird, but i feel lucky to have found my way to the other side with less damage from it. I think God must've planned it.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi glassdark. Although you don't say your age, presumably you're not as young as me (21).

I have GORD (or GERD, the American spelling) and have been on Prilosec (Omeprazole) for 2 years. Although smoking and drinking certainly haven't helped my GORD, there is also a genetic aspect to mine (thanks dad and both grandparents!)

I developed Gastritis at some point this year. They are unsure when it started, as when it does start, it usually causes no symptoms. Then, I also ended up in A&E for stomach pains.

After a lengthy discussion, they think my Gastritis has probably worsened, and that I have developed an ulcer.

I had to change from Omeprazole to a medication in the same class called Lansoprazole. Although Omeprazole is 'the gold standard', in my case it probably didn't work because I was downing so much vodka.

I've been on the Lansoprazole for nearly a week now, and have noticed a great difference.

Whiskey - on the rare occassion I drank it - made my GORD / heartburn extremely bad.

If you find the Omeprazole isn't providing relief, see your Doctor. There are many other PPIs they can prescribe.

Also, I know this isn't a very pleasant tip, but IF you notice you have black, tarry stools, see your Doctor ASAP or go to A&E. This is a sign of bleeding somewhere higher up in the GI tract, like the stomach. My stomach lining has bled from the Gastritis but amazingly stopped. I was told if it happens again, to come right back to A&E.