Notices

I think I miss feeling wretched!

Old 12-06-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I think I miss feeling wretched!

Sounds a bit odd - but that's the conclusion I've come to.

I remember someone saying once that they felt sorry for non-drinkers because 'when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.'

I've been thinking about this lately when I've been listening to my AV witter on. (Which incidentally seems to be more of a pathetic whine now rather than incessant shouting - but I won't drop my guard just yet!)

Anyway, I absolutely beam with joy in the mornings of late when I stand out of bed and feel great - no guilt, no pain , no need to try and remember if I need to apologise to or avoid anyone, no need to wonder if I'll be able to do everything (or indeed, anything) I'm supposed to today...........

.......but....................

........there's still a but.

It dawned on me yesterday that although I no longer crave booze (which amazes me at such an early stage!) there's a slight pang of want in the back of my head for the nice warm buzz of the first few drinks.

I have to remind myself that in reality, when I was drinking, that nice fuzzy feeling only lasted the briefest of time before I went through the buzz and headlong into oblivion. In fact it's probably been years since I had the buzz at all, truth be told.

So maybe what I'm actually missing is the relief from feeling wretched - the pleasure was all illusion. I finally understand what Allen Carr meant after all these years since I first read his stop smoking book!

The buzz was replaced by a brief respite from withdrawal before rushing headlong into oblivion. So that would mean that up till recently I was either drunk or hungover with the briefest of time each day 'feeling'normal' during the first couple of drinks.

So in my case, the 'best I was going to feel all day' lasted less than an hour each day - now it lasts the full 24!

Sorry for the rambling post - but I find it helps
Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Hendrix awesome mate
Old 12-06-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I think we, alcoholics, have that touch of masochism necessary to keep abusing ourselves. We have to reprogram to be free of it.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats not odd at all.
That is quite normal for us people with problems due to alcohol.
To me that used to be a normal feeling or thought.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Once, during one of my sober stints, I told my daughter that I loved drinking so much that I even missed being hungover.

Blech.

Good thing, though, is that now I do not miss it at all. Just love getting up on a Saturday morning with so much look look forward to, instead of looking back to the night before, full of regret for the things I remembered, and even more so for the things I didn't.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EJP

Grats on almost a month. 30ish days is when i typically relapse.

I agree. There is something comforting in feeling a familiar hangover that youve been having for years now. I would also agree that im a bit of a masochist and self destruct to prove to myself i dont care about anything.