Notices

Did you get in good physical shape?

Old 12-05-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did you get in good physical shape?

I just turned 50 in September and stopped a nightly wine habit of several years in July. I am overcoming anemia which has flattened out my energy and added to the exhaustion of quitting drinking. Prior to taking up drinking at 40 I was very physically fit and active.

I would love to hear inspiring stories from those of you who were able to get active and fit again after ruining their health from alcohol! (I am feeling like something the cat dragged in). Feeling a bit discouraged.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't say I'm in 'great' physical shape, but certainly better than when I was drinking. Now that I'm sober I walk my dogs every day at least once. And I think that contributes to my overall better feeling.

I don't go to the gym or anything but just regular walking does it for me.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would say im in good physical shape i gained weight through eartly sobriety then started dieting and working out and now i eat well and balanced and im in good shape i am 32
Old 12-05-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd have a much harder time staying sober without going to the gym. It has helped me get through many tough days. John
Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had high bloodpressure while I was drinking. I had to take medicine for it.
I wasn't in really bad shape while I was drinking. I had/have a very physical job. But about 6 months after I quit drinking i joined a gym. About a year after I quit,I no longer need medicine. Thats been over 5 years ago. I still go to the gym,and for the most part always look forward to it. I am 54.
Get off yer butt,and go to the gym

Fred
Old 12-05-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have always been physically active since my 20s. However in my last years of drinking, it was a hit or miss effort depending on how bad my binge was. Since I stopped drinking, I've been pretty fanatical about working out and running. It's an important piece of my recovery program. I recently did a 'fitness age' test and was rated as having the body of someone under 20. I turn 50 next year
Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I work out a lot now, trying to lose weight although it is frustratingly slow. But I do Zumba about 3 or 4 times a week, strength about 2 or 3 times a week. I went vegetarian as well. No complaints here, I like my workouts and being able to get up and go dance for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking a bit over a year ago. When I quit I was drinking 1+ bottles of wine a day and gaining. While my health was still good and I was reasonably fit, I could see problems ahead. I was 76 years old at the time and decided that I didn't want to finish life as an alcohol-soaked wreck of an old man.

So I quit, with the assistance of SR and AVRT. I started exercising more and eating a healthful diet. In July-August of this year I did a successful through-hike of the John Muir Trail; a 220 mile walk down the spine of the California Sierra mostly above 10,000' elev. And, I'm thinking of a repeat the year I turn 80.

It is hard to truly express how much better I feel with alcohol gone from my life.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi NPW, I have usually ran and gym'd irrespective of how hard my drinking became, more or less. I have ran 10k's drunk and completed triathlons throwing up before the race started my hangovers were so bad. I had a few layoffs of 3 months or so but I always felt that my fitness came back reasonably quickly once I started training properly.

There is no question that at 50 years old you can be in great shape and have a high level of fitness but you need to bear a few things in mind. One of my friends had a serious drinking problem and just completed the Beijing marathon this year in 3 hours 26 mins. Another is an ex European tour professional golfer and is still shooting sub par rounds at age 64 while drinking every night of the week. A few weeks ago I saw him go around a reasonable short 6 hole course in over over par using only a 7-iron!
Firstly and most importantly the drinking will have weakened your body and best and maybe damaged it. You need to strengthen your joints, tendons and heart/internal organs in addition to your muscles so: EAT WELL, BUILD UP SLOWLY AND BE PATIENT. If it takes you another year to get fit with no injuries in a way that you don't overload you body that is great and no problem.
I suggest that you see a doctor and also speak with a sports nutritionist if you can. They will help you get your diet and supplements right which will help you with the anemia. There is not a magic potion though. Stay hydrated, stay positive and stay active. Eat well and sleep well. focus on your wellbeing and gently step up the speed and mileage in your fitness program.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
I stopped drinking a bit over a year ago. When I quit I was drinking 1+ bottles of wine a day and gaining. While my health was still good and I was reasonably fit, I could see problems ahead. I was 76 years old at the time and decided that I didn't want to finish life as an alcohol-soaked wreck of an old man.

So I quit, with the assistance of SR and AVRT. I started exercising more and eating a healthful diet. In July-August of this year I did a successful through-hike of the John Muir Trail; a 220 mile walk down the spine of the California Sierra mostly above 10,000' elev. And, I'm thinking of a repeat the year I turn 80.

It is hard to truly express how much better I feel with alcohol gone from my life.
There are no words to adequately respond to this other than, "Wow!!". So good that you have accomplished such an enormous goal. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ubntubnt thank you for your post. Very sound and helpful advice that I am going to take. The be patient part especially because you are absolutely right about the weakening of all my parts. Your examples of the extraordinary people you know adds to what I see on this website quite a lot. The human body can be unbelievably strong and resilient being able to take abuse and then get healthy again. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Newpathway-

Great topic, and one that I am a huge advocate of.

For me, (a 51 year old male) physical fitness was really the only way that I was able to abstain, without too much of a problem. I mean it was tough, but I focused on my heath, which really seemed to keep any urges to drink at bay.

I had actually began my fitness routine before I even I stopped drinking, but when I did stop, I intensified it greatly.

Around 2.5 years ago I was a bit over weight (6'-2" /228 lbs) and had stage one hypertension. I pretty much sat around drinking at my home office, as I was doing computer stuff and I was able to work from home where I could drink at will. (18+ beers a day or Vodka) I did nothing in the form of exercise, although I was athletic years before that.

Through diet and exercise over the past 2.5 years, and after I stopped drinking 16 months ago, I no longer have hypertension (my 90 day moving average is 112/71). I was able to get my resting pulse down to the high 40s and drop my weight down to 170 lbs. I had been taking meds for the hypertension, but that stopped well over a year ago.

The reason that this hits home for me is because I really worked very hard at this, and still do. The added benefit is that I am in the best shape of my life and I am very proud of what I was able to accomplish.

I trail run five days a week, as well as cycle a couple (if my legs will hold out). So, I know that drinking again would totally erase everything that I've worked so hard for. Just knowing that seems to make booze not sound so appealing/tempting, which makes abstaining much easier.

Another member posted something a while back that was spot on, and something that I really subscribe to.
"...to create a life where alcohol just didn't belong." ~(Ethos23)
I know that the whole fitness thing is not for everybody, but if anybody is pondering on it as a way of staying away from the drink, then I just can't stress enough on how much this can help.

Great topic!

Lusher
Old 12-06-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Getting ready to go to gym now.

I feel like long term alcohol abuse basically after you eat, its like the food doesnt digest, it seems it just goes from your esophogus and just sits in your stomach not metabolized. That is the feeling I get and I am not insanely fat. I have a natural fast metabolism but now unless I eat healthy, it feels like food just goes from mouth, down esophogus and sits in gut undigested and as gross as it sounds, I can look at my stool and kinda tell what it is I ate.

I am 6'5" and about 230 by the way and a guy.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lusher is right, that is how I stopped the 1st time. If anything, it gets blood flowing through your liver but getting a high from a nice pump makes you not want to drink. When I drank hard, I lost complete interest.

I know there are a lot of women here so weights may not apply, but just 20 minutes on the treadmill will help and try to build it up.

For the 1st time in my life, i got called fat about 6 months ago. It was an unflattering picture but still.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Lusher. Your turnaround is what I want for myself. I just know it's the magic bullet. You have given me inspiration...Thank you! I'm heading out for my 3rd short walk today. My plan is to start slowly and lengthen each of the 3 walks until I'm doing 1 or 2 long brisk walks most days.

Love that saying too....alcohol won't fit into a healthy, active fulfilling lifestyle.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Klime. It's such a huge support to know we share getting over this hump that CAN be done! I too notice that nutrients from food seem to now find their way into my cells when they did not seem to while I was drinking every day. It's a slow and steady climb up this hill.

P.s. how do you feel now? How long have you been working at getting in shape?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Working out also does wonders for anxiety and depression. John
Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i posted this a few months ago about my story, its relevant to your question.

"I started cycling recreationally when i was 26, i am now 33 but because of alcohol i never had any consistency. A crazy weekend would put me out of commission for days, and anyone who exercises regularly knows that the longer you go without exercising, the harder it is to get back into. One drunken night when my booze ran out, i decided I had enough of this life style, and began searching for a cycling coach. I figured maybe if i had to be accountable to someone else I would be more apt to stick with my workouts and not skip them for a bottle of booze so easily.

Fast forward 11 months, a handful of time trials, a new ebay storefront, a great new job, money in my savings and 25lbs lost to get me down to 150lbs and a recent 280 watt functional threshold power test score and i am like a new person. I am literally in the best shape of my life. Riding anywhere from 12 -15hrs a week 250-300 miles. I am up at 4am everyday and commute by bike to work 25miles away, ride home and ship ebay items, in bed by 8. On the weekends, instead of me prepping to go to a bar or friends for an all night drinker, you will find me tuning up my bike, oiling my chain, mapping out a ride and preparing ride snacks. I am on the road when most drunks are having their last drink of the early morning. That decision to email my coach could have been the single most important thing i have done in a very very long time."
Old 12-06-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Downtown3 your passions sound far more fulfilling than drinking! We should all be so lucky to have such a love for something that as a bonus keeps us fit and gives us financial reward. I can relate to your life being so far away from the drinking world that it has become irrelevant. Thank you for posting!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Physical activity has always been important to me, before, during and after my drinking career, and into early sobriety. Then somewhere along the line I started putting on weight gradually, life happened etc. and I ended up gaining a bunch of weight over the years. Earlier this year I decided to change the way I was eating, since exercise alone wasn't doing the job. It scared me at first because I was scared of my own "will" as its gotten me in trouble in the past, control, addiction etc., but ya gotta eat right? How do I "turn it over and still rein it (food intake) in?" I started using a well known program with an app on my phone and started seeing that I'm a trainable animal just like any other and my eating habits have changed alot. I'm pretty much down now to the weight I was in my 20's and 30's and I'd be considered in good shape for a guy almost 50. Still sober too over 23 years. Life is good!