Notices

Dr thinks I can "taper off"

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Dr thinks I can "taper off"

Hi everyone,

Last week I posted about me having a relapse, after nearly 7 days off the drink.

I went back on to it, drinking 5-7 beers the past few nights instead of 3/4 of a ten glass of vodka.

My GP didn't seem to think my drinking was at risk, after filling out two surveys. She thinks I should just be able to taper off.

I would be all for doing that, but I'm worried about seizures/DTs, which is why I would prefer to do it medically, i.e. on Librium.

I must be honest... Before, when I was on the vodka, I had to go to bed so drunk, I could barely remember it the next morning. Now, on the beers, although I do go get "the hit", I'm going to bed almost sober, because I usually end up eating alot after my binge. I'm also able to limit myself to a maximum of seven beers!! (Still not great, I know, but I am able to say "thats enough")

Any advice please

EDIT: I was thinking of consulting my pharmacist, and seeing if she could somehow get a script off the Doctors for Librium?!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Go to a diffrent doctor and explain that you dont want to taper

Good luck
Old 12-04-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would also suggest you see a different doctor. Or contact your local alcohol/drug rehab center - you could do an inpatient detox if you are concerned about serious withdrawal symptoms.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

New doctor for sure.

I actually had a doctor tell my X who went to him and said, "I am an alcoholic," to go ahead and drink a couple of beers and take a Benadryl before bed. Just because they have the letters MD behind their name does not mean they understand a thing about addiction.

Just my .02

Good luck to you!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm more so paranoid that I'd get severe withdrawal. My worst withdrawal symptoms during the week of no drink was insomnia and feeling extremely bored.

I've got 12 Diazepam... I'm googling to try and see the dosage for AW with it.

Want this DEVIL out of my life once and for all. When people call drink "the demon drink", they really are describing it 100% accurately.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by am658 View Post
I've got 12 Diazepam... I'm googling to try and see the dosage for AW with it.

Want this DEVIL out of my life once and for all. When people call drink "the demon drink", they really are describing it 100% accurately.
Diagnosing yourself via google, and especially prescribing your own meds ( were they prescribed for something else? ) can be very dangerous. Please seek a second opinion or talk with a detox center if you feel you may have issues
Old 12-04-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I'd be inclined to go with your docs opinion. that being said I tapered but if you taper you gotta have a clear goal and the taper plan can go off course really fast and bad. IE i'll just taper and by next Tuesday i'll be done then yo8u have a bad day and don't stick to your guns and Tuesday gets pushed to wedsday the i'll do it tomorrow i'll just extend this taper out a little longer etc...

I tapered first night went from my ususual 15 beers or so to like 8. I did that a night or two then I started knocking a beer or 2 off that number each night. when I hit about 4 beers I thought what the hell si the point? why prolong the misery of not drinking any further and I just didn't bother to drink the next night. I new I had to stick to my guns or I'd find any excuse to just drink again.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

UPDATE:

@zjw: I would agree with my Dr, although, I'm not sure if I have the willpower to reduce... That being said, I'm amazed I have gone from 37.5% vodka, to 3.8% beer...

I phoned my GP surgery, and the lady on the other end said my GP would need to speak to me tomorrow, but would prescribe the Librium.

I'm almost tempted to phone the out-of-hours GP, to get the Librium tonight...
Although, I wouldn't be starting it until tomorrow.

I'm just very anxious after reading online about alcohol and brain damage etc!! It's made me so nervous! Although I don't think, from what I've read anyway, alcohol will cause permanent brain damage over 1 year and 5 months...

Since last night I've had a disconnected/"brain fog" feeling... Not too sure if its from the new tablets I'm taking for GORD/Gastritis/Peptic Ulcer (Landsoprazole).

I do have the Diazepam here, which my other GP prescribed me for alcohol withdrawal anxiety... Although I'm worried about taking it. Last time I took it, it knocked me out for 12 hours!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I should probably lay off the coffee aswell! I've had 2 cups in the past 1 hour!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm just very anxious after reading online about alcohol and brain damage etc!! It's made me so nervous! Although I don't think, from what I've read anyway, alcohol will cause permanent brain damage over 1 year and 5 months...
!
Honestly i'd recommend staying away from the internet for health info. You will be able to diagnose yourself with just about anything you can dream up there. Sounds like you have a lot of drugs laying about that you aren't sure about taking too...please consult with your doc before doing so.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah I cannot wait until he phones me tomorrow. I'm only 21, I just want my sober life back

Does anyone have any info on Thiamine/Vitamin B1 deficiency? I'm now paranoid I have that!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Does anyone have any info on Thiamine/Vitamin B1 deficiency?
Yes, your doctor does. And he/she can test you for it. Google cannot do either. Have you considered maybe going to an AA meeting today until you can get to the doc tomorrow? It can be re-assuring to be around others who are in the same situation and with the same goals. Plus it might do you some good to get out of the house and away from the computer.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

Since last night I've had a disconnected/"brain fog" feeling... Not too sure if its from the new tablets I'm taking for GORD/Gastritis/Peptic Ulcer (Landsoprazole).

I do have the Diazepam here, which my other GP prescribed me for alcohol withdrawal anxiety... Although I'm worried about taking it. Last time I took it, it knocked me out for 12 hours!
I dunno if I have permenant damage myself. I think my nervious system isn't what it could or should be but I also recall feeling like this a lot before I became a heavy drinker so maybe this is normal. I get skin crawling anxiety restless legs etc.. but I've had that all my life so maybe I'm not screwed up. I got other weird things that come and go but maybe I'm just getting older. The real kicker for me is I cant tackle as much as I could. is this brain damage or do I just now know my limits? or do I have new limits? I really don't know but I just try and work within my boundaries.

Brain fog went on for me for 3 or 4 months then POOF it left and I felt so clear headed and great all the sudden.

As for thiamine deficiency. I've read its very common for alcohlics to be deficient and malnourished. Its also common for anyone with just a crummy diet to be deficient. That being said I'd try and make sure your eating your fruits and veggies there the most nutrient dense foods you can get. and drinking water etc..

I read a book called the vitamin cure for alcoholism. In it he spoke of some specific vitamins us alcohlics are in short supply of and or need to make us feel better and not drink. It was an interesting read and sure a simple healthy diet works wonders but he did get into supplementing with some specific ones.

I believe the book was written by Dr Andrew Saul and I think he has a website that has some good info on it etc... Or you can PM me and pick my brain some more and i'll see what all I can remember. I loaned my copy of the book out and have not gotten it back yet *sigh*.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Scott am - you may have these things you may not. you may need a particular med, you may not.

Only your Dr and a battery of tests knows for sure.

D
Old 12-04-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Completly agree with Scott & Dee here

Make an apt with diffrent doc

good luck
Old 12-04-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

it really is mind boggling how so many doctors are so clueless about alcoholism.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I tapered. It's possible but it requires complete honesty with the amounts and strict self responsibility. I'm not advocating it just telling my experience. After reading here for over a year I can tell you most folks report frustration as it can be a battle that's hard to finish.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Two weeks before I actually quit, I decided to at least try to be honest with myself about how much I was drinking. I wasn't intending to taper, just to try and gauge just how much I really was drinking. I had two tea cups and a handful of pennies. Each time I got a drink I had to move a penny from one cup to the other. Then reset each day. Just by making myself really be aware of what I was doing, I found I was cutting back fairly quickly. The last few days before I quit, I bought the nastiest beer on the planet as far as I'm concerned. So, that made it easier to cut back even faster. My last drink was one of those Red Apple Ale things. Yuck.

Anyway, by the time I actually quit, I was feeling pretty crappy and freaked out and decided I'd better go to the doctor. Probably should have done that in the first place.

Hindsight 20\20.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Matt M

As others have said, i'd try a different doctor!

I was never offered Librium for some reason, just given Thiamine.

You are right to be worried about seizures (I should know, i've had six of them!) so in this way it's probably a good thing that you looked online for info on it.
But generally looking online for health info can be bad, I've done it loads of times and the amount of times I've thought i've had cancer is ridiculous!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well everyone, a quick update

Waiting on my Dr phoning me. It's so bad because my mum has a decorator in - what if he hears me discussing my alcoholism down the phone?

My plan? When I hear the phone ring, the vacuum is being switched on to mask my voice!!