Notices

A guy once told me...

Old 12-01-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A guy once told me...

A guy I met in a meeting years ago that put the problem in perspective.

This guy has 20 some years.

He said "I like diet coke. But I don't sit down and drink a 24 pack of diet coke. I could easily do that with beer. So there's something in the beer that compels me to drink. Normal people take a drink and feel a little silly and tipsy. Alcoholics take a drink and feel ten feet tall and bulletproof. If I pick up one, I'm not stopping till I'm unconcsious."

Don't know why but that's always stuck with me.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I heard the same thing and it really hit home for me. One is too many and 1000 is not enough. We can't drink normally...period. It is kind of crazy when a 12-pk was just a warm up. Stay safe
Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL because is TOTALLY the truth!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Very true
Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't get comparing diet coke to alcohol. I drank alcohol to change the way I felt, alcohol is a highly addictive drug. If diet coke had the same effects I'd have also abused it.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I don't get comparing diet coke to alcohol. I drank alcohol to change the way I felt, alcohol is a highly addictive drug. If diet coke had the same effects I'd have also abused it.
yep i used to say i'd smoke a turd if it had nicotine in it. who knows what i'd drink if it had booze in it. Lord knows i mixed up some nasty stuff just to get my buzz back then ::facepalm:: I had no standards left in the end what i'd drink so long as i got my fix.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Alcohol is a funny substance indeed.

For as long as I can recall, I have always had an insatiable urge for more. I have to wonder why? I mean, how come I have this desire and others don't?

I really feel that it's in our DNA or something. I have many friends that I use to drink with. They would let loose here and there, but they could always put the brakes on. They could get drunk at a party, and not want another until the next big gathering. Not me. Not ever. I was all in, always.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the comparison is a good one when discussing the issue with a fellow sufferer that says something to the effect that "i LIKE the taste of beer/wine/whatever".

also it relates to those who dont have issues. some people really do drink alcoholic beverages like one would a soda. -here and there, one or two, give or take. my dad is like this, so explaining my situation was a challenge.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

For as long as I can recall, I have always had an insatiable urge for more. I have to wonder why? I mean, how come I have this desire and others don't?
if 1 is good 15 or 20 or however many i can possibly consume must be better.

I'm like this with everything in life it seems. I'm figureing out how to utilize this nice feature about myself in more beneficial ways. Running provides a healthy outlet for me and my all or nothing nonsense. I'm not sure if i could ever be totally balanced but i can at least try and utilize some of these qualities to my advantage instead of screwing myself.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
if 1 is good 15 or 20 or however many i can possibly consume must be better.

I'm like this with everything in life it seems. I'm figureing out how to utilize this nice feature about myself in more beneficial ways. Running provides a healthy outlet for me and my all or nothing nonsense. I'm not sure if i could ever be totally balanced but i can at least try and utilize some of these qualities to my advantage instead of screwing myself.

Hey zjw,

I can totally relate to your post. Could never understand why people would want to have a couple of drinks when you could have like 12 rounds. Recently I'd been to a christmas market with some friends. For many years I had been deluding myself into really believing that many people who drink do it like I would - drink a lot of the crap to get really drunk. But they don't, I mean many people don't. They really just leave it at one or two, getting a little bit buzzed, and then not obsessing over it at all. I can't do that. So it's either drinking myself to death or getting serious about my sobriety. I'm on day two right now and trying once again. Thanks for reading this.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a good point!!