Notices

Seasons of Change

Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seasons of Change

I'm in a season of many changes right now that are rocking my mental health and my sobriety. As of today I have 24 months (757 days) under my belt and I have worked through the steps totally once and reworked steps 4,5 and 11 and 12 recently. I have a sponsor and I sponsor a lady who is doing really well.

During my getting sober I was given the opportunity to return to school because I got fired from my job. This turned out to be a really good thing and I have not only gotten sober, I got the chance to go to school for a job that I have wanted for a long time. Part of my schooling is doing 3 internships and I'm in my final one with just four days left and then I graduate on Friday December 5.

There is a downside to all this joy though and here it is. My internship is a long way, 4 hours roundtrip no joke, from home and it has been really hard on me mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually for many reasons. I haven't managed my stress well and now here I am in a bit of a mess. I'm not drinking over it, but I'm acting a lot like I did when I was drinking and I know it and I need some help to get out of this spot because I hate it.

I have pretty much isolated myself from meetings, friends, and even my church which I regularly attend and enjoy. I feel completely stretched to the max and I have been on the verge of having a panic attack which hasn't happened to me for a few months so I know I'm not in a good place. I'm not excited about graduating, and I'm so scared about looking for a job. I have a licensing exam in January that I have to take and pass first, but I'm worried about getting a job and not settling for something or pushing to make something happen. I'm feeling super burnt out and I need to get back on track with my recovery. I haven't attended a meeting in over a month due to feeling exhausted and trying to keep my family up and running while I'm doing this crazy internship commute. I haven't gone to church in a month either, and that is something that is really important to me and helps keep me grounded in recovery. I guess I don't even know what I need really. All I know is that I feel crazy and stuck in my own head right now and I hate it.

On the up side, I wouldn't trade this place as much as it sucks for going back to how my life was while I was drinking. I have made it through worse places than this, but I don't want to be here any longer than I have to. Thanks for reading this, it helped me just to write it and get it out there. Being honest helps.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 24 months have you spoke to a doc recently ?

i think you should get bk into mtns if they were helping

Glad you posted
Old 11-30-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Slow down and breath. No need to stress. Your doing a fantastic keep it up.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think balance is important 1seekinghelp, and it sounds to me like you've sidelined all the things that might help you find that balance?

Go back to AA and to church - find support and use it...

and make time for you to relax...it's more than important, it's vital...

Google for some ideas about stress relief and relaxation, - find a hobby, do some guided meditation..even taking time out to watch a funny movie can help.

D