Notices

Why do they say Year 2 is emotional?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do they say Year 2 is emotional?

I read that in recovery Year 1 is physical recovery, Year 2 is emotional recovery, and Year 3 is spiritual recovery. The concept fascinates me, and I can see how it could be true. I'm curious if this mirrors others experience... Also curious how year 2 was for people. What to watch out for, what to work on. Your thoughts are much appreciated!!!

Last edited by SonomaGal; 11-29-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-29-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, Year 1 (& years to follow) was spiritual, physical and emotionally healing, changing and moving forward. I found that balance was so very important to me in my recovery and I don't think I would have/could have separated those aspects of healing.

Congratulations as you move into Year 2 of recovery. I hope that it's a wonderful year for you.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna for your reply. Agreed that physical, emotional and spiritual health and balance are all intertwined, and not as linear as my post might have implied. I guess I thought it might be more of a thematic thing... I appreciate the reminder to work on all three and strive for balance!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

I think things just unfold. You either grow and move forward or go the other way. I think it has to be an active process otherwise old ways and habits come to the fore. So I think commitment to sobriety morphs into something more- I now imagine it's a continuous process- truly living
Old 11-29-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi SonomaGal, thanks for your post. I would agree, generally, with what you wrote. It was true for me. I am 22 months sober so just about at the end of my second year. Year one was initially about just not drinking and then starting to deal with the wreckage of my past, as they say. Not all of it, of course, but starting to deal. My emotions slowly came back online and were back in full force by the end of the first year. Rollercoaster. No more alcohol to dull or mask my feelings so there were some incredibly difficult times (which I have learned to sit with and stay present for, but only recently) and some amazingly awesome times. I could go from being angry to being thrilled in a heartbeat. I have done a lot of research on it and there is a physiological component too with your brain healing and your neuro-receptors coming back online. I am in AA so I had been given many of the tools to cope with it and that plus this place was critical in gauging when something deserved the drama I was giving it or when I was the problem (which was usually the case )

I also got much more in touch with a spirituality I lost/dulled severely with my years of boozing. It's kind of like, after eight months or so, my soul finally figured it was safe to come back and I wasn't going to throw us both under the bus again. But it's been beautiful. And emotional, too.

Anyway, just my experience. Thanks for your post!!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I think it is true... Year 1 was about not drinking and having my firsts (first party not drinking, first work problem, etc.) I will have 2 years in a couple of weeks, and this 2nd year was emotional and dealing with it in a healthy way. It's all learning and growing I guess.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post!

I'm definitely finding year two to be equally as hard as, if not harder than year one. I'm at 17 months. The first year, for me, was all about taking a leap of faith, but as year one ended and two began , a severe depression was unmasked and I didn't have alcohol to escape anymore. I had depression before I ever became an alcoholic, and I really thought that once I'd got a year under my belt, that it would be smooth sailing and my depression would resolve. Anything but, it's been awful the last while, but I'm still keeping faith in the recovery process. SR has saved me more times than I could count this last while.
I suppose it's different for all of us. As pt capote notes, sitting with and dealing with painful emotions is key. I know I still have a lot of growing up to do, and I'm almost 57!
All the best to you.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congrats on your year last month!
The first 6 months for me was about not drinking. After that my focus shifted to get better. There has been some overlap between the 2 years but mostly the first year was waiting for the hardware to get up and running again. What I was doing was very toxic to my brain physically. The healing continues well into the second year just not as profound as the first. When you start thinking clearly again you look around and think "why the hell am I doing this?" I have started to question whether I react appropriately, whether I see things accurately. It is very emotional and traumatic to start to shift your whole worldview and sense of self. That actually started about the 9 month mark. It has picked up speed in the 2nd year.
As bad as that sucks I will take it over full blown cravings any day. I have actually gotten used to saying "OK that kind of thinking doesn't make any sense...out with it"