Notices

article: most heavy drinkers are not alcoholics

Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

article: most heavy drinkers are not alcoholics

How do you feel about this? Do you think it's just playing or changing the definition of "alcoholic" or that it's just denialism of alcoholism?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...s/?ref=us&_r=1

Originally Posted by NY Times Tara-Parker Pope
Most people who drink to get drunk are not alcoholics, suggesting that more can be done to help heavy drinkers cut back, a new government report concludes.

The finding, from a government survey of 138,100 adults, counters the conventional wisdom that every “falling-down drunk” must be addicted to alcohol. Instead, the results from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health show that nine out of 10 people who drink too much are not addicts, and can change their behavior with a little — or perhaps a lot of — prompting.

“Many people tend to equate excessive drinking with alcohol dependence,’’ sad Dr. Robert Brewer, who leads the alcohol program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “We need to think about other strategies to address these people who are drinking too much but who are not addicted to alcohol.”

Excessive drinking is viewed as a major public health problem that results in 88,000 deaths a year, from causes that include alcohol poisoning and liver disease, to car accidents and other accidental deaths. Excessive drinking is defined as drinking too much at one time or over the course of a week. For men, it’s having five or more drinks in one sitting or 15 drinks or more during a week. For women, it’s four drinks on one occasion or eight drinks over the course of a week. Underage drinkers and women who drink any amount while pregnant also are defined as “excessive drinkers.”

Surprisingly, about 29 percent of the population meets the definition for excessive drinking, but 90 percent of them do not meet the definition of alcoholism. That’s good news because it means excessive drinking may be an easier problem to solve than previously believed.
Full article at link: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...s/?ref=us&_r=0
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fotographia View Post
Do you think it's just playing or changing the definition of "alcoholic" or that it's just denialism of alcoholism?
I think there's truth to this, and it's not really anything new. It's why I believe some people can quit with minimal effort, and others need a detox, rehab, counseling, aftercare, AA (or other program), and a complete change of themselves and everything around them. AA bigbook makes the distinction of there being such a thing as a "real" alcoholic. And while I don't really like that term, my experience tells me there is such a thing.

I'm curious about other people's take on this. I'm wondering for myself if this is a good thing for people who drink too much to be considering, or a harmful thing. Might just give people an oomph, and empower them to say, "I can quit", also might give them license to drink until they reach the point where they no longer can stop. "I'm not an alcoholic, now get off of my case!"
Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think Bill Wilson was aware of this in 1939 when he wrote AA's big book. Here are a few choice quotes, emphasis mine:

We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better.
Then we have a certain type of hard drinker. He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason - ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor-becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention.

But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink.
We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals-usually brief-were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m pretty new here, so I wade into this discussion with trepidation.

First, I have to say that I have a problem with labels. Regardless of how accurate a label applied to a person may seem, it usually falls way short of the truth about that person. And, I think (my opinion only), that it’s easy for a person to become so invested in the label they’ve been given or taken on for themselves, that it becomes difficult to break away from it. It can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I’ll give an example unrelated to drinking that I think illustrates my point. My sister has cerebral palsy, epilepsy and is developmentally disabled. Those are all very specific diseases, but they are also labels. When she was a baby, my parents were kindly told by several doctors not to expect too much. She likely would never learn to walk, or speak. That she was going to require total care for the rest of her life. That it was ok to think about putting her into a home where she could be properly cared for considering her various heath conditions.

My parents would have nothing of that. They called BS, and decided that she would have every chance to lead a normal life, the doctors and the labels be damned.

So, what happened? She went to public school; she learned how to read; she learned how to cook. She even learned how to ride a bike in spite of having CP. And you should see the lap blanket she crocheted for me years ago. It’s not to say that there haven’t been difficulties along the way. There have been. But she is now capable of living alone in her own apartment with limited support from family and friends. And if you ever want to really tick her off, try implying that she is stupid in any way. And don’t ever use the “R” word. She won’t like you much after that, and she generally likes everyone.

That’s not to say that there are NOT developmentally disabled individuals that require a great deal more care. Every person is different. There is no one-size fits all.

So, labels are a tricky thing.

Regarding the article, I think I like the notion of changing the emphasis from disease (label), to an emphasis on practical approaches to changing behavior. I’m not saying that alcoholism isn’t a disease. But I definitely think it’s a label, and one with heavy, negative connotations. Back to my example above. When my sister was born they didn’t call it “developmentally disabled”, back then the word WAS “********”. That has since changed, because the “R” word was chock full of negative connotations.

For me personally, I use to drink. It became a problem. I’ve stopped, and I know that I can’t drink anymore. Ever. I’m taking responsibility for my actions and practical steps to deal with the reasons why I drank. Also, I’m learning to understand what triggered my urge to drink, and learning practical ways to avoid and deal with those triggers. But I’m not going to label myself as an alcoholic. I use to drink. Now I don’t. That’s it.

I wouldn’t mind a few positive labels. I’m working on earning those.

Thank you.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In looking back at my drinking being compulsive hastened my way into alcoholic drinking along with wanting to escape many things that were revealed when doing my 4th step.
I personally feel I and many others could use the program if I never drank. The problem is I didn’t know what I didn’t know.

BE WELL
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never felt addicted to alcohol. I drank because I wanted to and never needed to go to detox or anything. I'm probably not an alcoholic according to this article but when you total up the cost of the beer I have drank one would could disagree and say I was an alcoholic.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I dumb things way way down. I don't care about what brand is on a person, BPD, Alcoholism, etc. If what is happening is affecting your life in a negative way or that of your family, something needs to change.

I get so tired of all the analysis, when people have issues, they should address them, regardless of what they are.

Just my .02
Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can and will only speak for myself, it didn't/doesn't matter what label I am stamped with, for me it's a really simple equation: I use to drink alcohol, alcohol became a problem for me, and now I don't drink alcohol anymore. For me, it's that simple.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im not physically addicted to alcohol. I dont get withdrawals or drink every day. By the article, Im probably not considered an alcoholic.
I "drink heavily" 2-3 times per week, have unsuccessfully tried to quit and have negative consequences in my life from drinking. Of course its a spectrum and i guess there is a a point on that spectrum to define a "true alcoholic". I consider myself an alcoholic but problem drinker may be more accurate. In the end, I don't think it matters much, its just a label and I think the discussion is a bit problematic as it may minimize the problem and be enabling in people like me to hear we are not really alcoholics and therefore have more room before we need to start worrying. That is definitely not the case in my experience with myself and friends.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I think there's truth to this, and it's not really anything new. It's why I believe some people can quit with minimal effort, and others need a detox, rehab, counseling, aftercare, AA (or other program), and a complete change of themselves and everything around them. AA bigbook makes the distinction of there being such a thing as a "real" alcoholic. And while I don't really like that term, my experience tells me there is such a thing.

I'm curious about other people's take on this. I'm wondering for myself if this is a good thing for people who drink too much to be considering, or a harmful thing. Might just give people an oomph, and empower them to say, "I can quit", also might give them license to drink until they reach the point where they no longer can stop. "I'm not an alcoholic, now get off of my case!"
IMO people with alcohol-issues are fundamentally different than people with alcohol-ism. Take away the alcohol and all the issues go away for the problem drinkers. However, when I simply removed alcohol from my life, the "ism" remained. Thoughts of wanting my next drink haunted my mind 24 x 7, even after several months of not-drinking.

Sobriety drove me crazy in the sense that my obsession to drink grew worse with time spent not-drinking, For me, sobrity was not worth having without some peace of mind to go with it. Abstinence alone never gave me any peace of mind. I had to find away to treat the "ism" component of alcohol-ism before I became comfortable in my own skin without a pacifier type substace.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I take the hardline, old school, AA approach to the definition of alcoholism based on my own experience with it. I'm surrounded by heavy drinkers in my life but, although it's undeniable that for some of them drinking causes some problems in their lives, I do not class them as alcoholics. This is because it doesn't take them to that awful, dark place and totally destroy their lives. They can lead a normal life as normal, functioning human beings and still drink. I could never do that because, well, I'm an old school, physically allergic alcoholic type.

But then again it all comes down to how you define alcoholism - if you define alcoholism by volume of alcohol consumed then yes the article is flawed, but I define it as where drinking takes you and what it does to your life and in that sense, I would agree and say that most heavy drinkers aren't alcoholics.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
I take the hardline, old school, AA approach to the definition of alcoholism based on my own experience with it. I'm surrounded by heavy drinkers in my life but, although it's undeniable that for some of them drinking causes some problems in their lives, I do not class them as alcoholics. This is because it doesn't take them to that awful, dark place and totally destroy their lives. They can lead a normal life as normal, functioning human beings and still drink. I could never do that because, well, I'm an old school, physically allergic alcoholic type.

But then again it all comes down to how you define alcoholism - if you define alcoholism by volume of alcohol consumed then yes the article is flawed, but I define it as where drinking takes you and what it does to your life and in that sense, I would agree and say that most heavy drinkers aren't alcoholics.
It's interesting when people define alcoholism as the volume/amount of drinks consumed.

I've heard from people who claimed to be alcoholics or who went through AA, that if you drink any more than 2 drinks then you are an alcoholic; but that's obviously not true.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

sounds like the author doesnt know much about alcoholism. I guess they meant well with the article but I"m sure its bound to really screw with peoples minds and sugar coat stuff that shouldnt be sugar coated.

Its like saying I go to AA becuase I just wanted to cut down some.

anyone who is drinking too the point of drunkeness has a problem. Maybe there not an alcoholic but there is not good reason to drink that much. For me I had isolated incidents I loved em but i was not an alcoholic. But those isolated incidences exposed me to the power of alcohol it allowed me to know it was there for me for this or that occasion. was I an alcohlic yet? I dunno i guess thats still up for grabs. If i removed time from the equation of my life i'd say yes I was indeed an alcoholic then. Maybe i'm biased but I think anyone who gets drunk a handful of times purposely etc.. give em time more booze the proper mix of reasons to keep up the behaivior and they too could indeed evolve into an alcohlic just as easily as the next guy. Maybe i'm biased I dunno. I know people that have picked it up and put it down but again I think if circumstances where conducive to them drinking they might still do it.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How I "feel" about it doesn't matter so much. I'd first look at the validity of the statistical methods used in the survey. As for the definition of alcoholism, well, the link to the peer reviewed study shows that they used this definition for alcohol dependence: "alcohol dependence (assessed through self-reported survey responses and defined as meeting ≥3 of 7 criteria for dependence in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition)" so there is no question as to their definition of alcohol dependence.

"PEER REVIEWED

Abstract
Introduction
Excessive alcohol consumption is responsible for 88,000 deaths annually and cost the United States $223.5 billion in 2006. It is often assumed that most excessive drinkers are alcohol dependent. However, few studies have examined the prevalence of alcohol dependence among excessive drinkers. The objective of this study was to update prior estimates of the prevalence of alcohol dependence among US adult drinkers.

Methods
Data were analyzed from the 138,100 adults who responded to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health in 2009, 2010, or 2011. Drinking patterns (ie, past-year drinking, excessive drinking, and binge drinking) were assessed by sociodemographic characteristics and alcohol dependence (assessed through self-reported survey responses and defined as meeting ≥3 of 7 criteria for dependence in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition).

Results
Excessive drinking, binge drinking, and alcohol dependence were most common among men and those aged 18 to 24. Binge drinking was most common among those with annual family incomes of $75,000 or more, whereas alcohol dependence was most common among those with annual family incomes of less than $25,000. The prevalence of alcohol dependence was 10.2% among excessive drinkers, 10.5% among binge drinkers, and 1.3% among non-binge drinkers. A positive relationship was found between alcohol dependence and binge drinking frequency.

Conclusion
Most excessive drinkers (90%) did not meet the criteria for alcohol dependence. A comprehensive approach to reducing excessive drinking that emphasizes evidence-based policy strategies and clinical preventive services could have an impact on reducing excessive drinking in addition to focusing on the implementation of addiction treatment services."

What I take away from this is that they are trying to show that heavy drinkers might be helped in time BEFORE they become alcohol dependent.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is hard for me to judge another person for their drinking habits or the way the lead their lives. I do think that when I honestly look at how alcohol has affected my relationship with myself, how much anxiety I feel and my difficulties in relationships with others, I can say that alcohol made it significantly more difficult in the long term to enjoy life in the way I want to enjoy it.

That does not make not drinking any easier at times. But I know that when my central nervous system and brain chemistry are given the opportunity to perform as it should without alcohol messing up the nervous system, I am a happier more level person who can better handle the stresses of daily life better.

I would not trade the feelings of peace I feel when off the sauce for the temporary and false feeling of relaxation that alcohol causes in the brain for the long term emotional distress that it can cause.

By most definitions, I would not be considered an alcohol by the volume drank or the effect it had on my work performance; most of my friends drank and still do drink significantly more than I consumed, but they do not have my fragile brain chemistry, and they are not burdened by the anxiety and emotional roller coaster that alcohol puts me on. So I know it is not for me.

AA is a great means of helping each of us as an individual to examine how alcohol and addictions fueled our lives and enabled us to temporarily remove ourselves from difficult feelings. I have never been to a meeting where anyone stood up and said if you drank this much you are an alcoholic. So much of the work is in establishing your personal way of behaving and connecting that to how your personal consumption habits affect your emotions and inner selves of well being.

I wish everyone doing the work to make their lives the best of luck and wisdom to change what you can, accept what you can't and know the difference.

Peace.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i have this mental picture in my mind when these sorts of surveys are carreid out that the people they question or look at are quite well off middle class folk who might have the odd drink to many and might end up drunk at times

they dont seem to ask tramps to take part in a survey who have lost it all and drink anything they can get hold of

we get great drs or know alls come out with sorts of high intellectual theory's every other week someone has a take on it all

but nothing has even come close to the dr opinion about what happens to me when i take that first drink

right from day one when i first drank booze i got drunk, i didn't drink social and then turn into a drunk, i just picked up a drink and liked what it did to me so i wanted more and more and more, i have no off switch and never did have an off switch, normal drinkers can stop when they have taken a first drink they do not feel the overpowering compulsion to drink more and more

this simple explanation make me start to understand why it was that i behaved so badly when drunk
why i would wake up the next day wishing i had not drank so much and never did or said what i did the night before

when people would face me the next day to demand what on earth is wrong with me why did i behave like i did, i had no answer for them
other than i wished i never did it

for years i spent alone locked up in my own mind believing i was the only person in the world who did what i did
all i ever wanted to do was to drink like everyone else i never wanted to wreck things for people, i never wanted to end up fighting with people, i never wanted to unsult everyone
i just wanted a good time and drink get happy and go home without smashing it up or ending up in a police cell

anyone with any sense would soon work out drink doesnt agree with them and stop drinking
but not me as i had to drink and went to every length possible to drink like normal people can and not end up getting drunk

the only thing that works for me is to not pick up that first drink and i can not then start off that huge craving that takes control of me

not picking up that first drink means i will not wake up in a police cell tomorrow morning trying to remember why i am there

if i could drink without all the problems that i ended up in i would still be out there today drinking

in the end i had to admit defeat i can not control alcohol

i am what is called an alcoholic. and i have the trail of destruction that goes with the title and i have the progression to go with it were i drank everyday and ended up drunk everday as this is where it will lead to alcoholics like me. we end up with nothing left

so i dont care about whatever titles decribe me but just knowing what is wrong with me and that there is a way out of it is good enough for me,

i am not on my own anymore with it all as there are thousands like me around
Old 11-26-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alwyshope12 View Post
It is hard for me to judge another person for their drinking habits or the way the lead their lives. I do think that when I honestly look at how alcohol has affected my relationship with myself, how much anxiety I feel and my difficulties in relationships with others, I can say that alcohol made it significantly more difficult in the long term to enjoy life in the way I want to enjoy it.

That does not make not drinking any easier at times. But I know that when my central nervous system and brain chemistry are given the opportunity to perform as it should without alcohol messing up the nervous system, I am a happier more level person who can better handle the stresses of daily life better.

I would not trade the feelings of peace I feel when off the sauce for the temporary and false feeling of relaxation that alcohol causes in the brain for the long term emotional distress that it can cause.

By most definitions, I would not be considered an alcohol by the volume drank or the effect it had on my work performance; most of my friends drank and still do drink significantly more than I consumed, but they do not have my fragile brain chemistry, and they are not burdened by the anxiety and emotional roller coaster that alcohol puts me on. So I know it is not for me.

AA is a great means of helping each of us as an individual to examine how alcohol and addictions fueled our lives and enabled us to temporarily remove ourselves from difficult feelings. I have never been to a meeting where anyone stood up and said if you drank this much you are an alcoholic. So much of the work is in establishing your personal way of behaving and connecting that to how your personal consumption habits affect your emotions and inner selves of well being.

I wish everyone doing the work to make their lives the best of luck and wisdom to change what you can, accept what you can't and know the difference.

Peace.
If you don't mind me asking, and answering: How is your brain chemistry different than that of your friends?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

while i do not have any tests to measure brain chemistry, there are some things that are evident when you take a look at it with a rational eye.

i have noticed that the mood of my friends don't vary as much as mine seemed to have bounced around after drinking. none of my friends reported or understood the anxiety and depression i would mention after drinking.

i have also found that regardless of quantities of alcohol consumed, the symptoms from which seek relief - anxiety, depression, social isolation, negative image of myself - mostly seem to either disappear or be removed once i stopped drinking. i say that because after nearly a year of abstinence, i stated to drink again, at such less volume than had in the past maybe 10 drinks a week. and i was able to notice that after time my head and mood were going right back t a very painful place...

if you want more scientific information about the genetics of it, or the detailed chemistry, check out the book Beyond the Influence.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Either that one or another recent one said it's about 10% of the population who have alcoholism which has been the going percentage for years.....

I'm one of that 10%.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Either that one or another recent one said it's about 10% of the population who have alcoholism which has been the going percentage for years.....

I'm one of that 10%.

Hi.
I heard about 20% of the population in the US has a problem with alcohol, even if it’s 10% I’m one of them because I cannot drink any alcohol in safety, bottom line. Besides I don’t have a desire anymore.

BE WELL