Notices

Scared!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Scared!!!

Hi all, today would have been my 4th day sober... But at my friends 21st last night I had 4 beers over the space of about 5 hours.

I had been drinking (as some of you may know) half a bottle of vodka + per night (every night for the past 1 year 6 months)

I have taken my Librium again, but I'm reading online about some of the scary things of detox... Like DTs and Seizures! Resulting even in death?!

I'm so scared. Could I really suffer all those horrible things after drinking every night (but NOT during the day?)

Reading about DTs almost makes me feel like just throwing the hat in, saying stuff it, and go back to drinking. (Thankfully there's no alcohol in my house though)

I'm meeting my Dr tomorrow morning to discuss things?

Any advice?

It's nearly 04:00 UK time, and my Dr appt is at 10:30!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think it's an excellent idea to see your doctor.

I think you will probably be reassured. If you went three days without drinking and had no signs of DTs or seizures, chances are that you're not going to have them at this point (unless you KEEP drinking--then all bets are off because each withdrawal is different).

I still think you should check with the doctor in the morning, but STOP drinking tonight (if you've had any) and get a good night's sleep if you can.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi am - you could suffer all those things...but you may not too.

Lots of people have no problems at all - and most people never experience the DTs - but it's impossible for us to give guarantees over the net.

If you're concerned please do go to the ER or something, but if you feel like you're OK and not in danger, then try and relax and see your Dr in the morning.

Let us know how you get on

D
Old 11-23-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was drinking everynight for 18 months. When I stopped I didn't have any physicall withdrawal symptom at all, not even shaking hands. But I was drinking beers......vodka is completelly different story. I would be scared.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol is alcohol if it’s from beer or 180 proof vodka. An alcoholic will just drink more beer to get in the range of the vodka he would have drank.

BE WELL
Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My advice to to be totally honest with your doctor about how much you actually have been drinking, how long and how frequently you've been doing it, and that you are also taking meds while drinking.

It is really tempting to downplay the amounts but he can't help you if he doesn't have the real facts.

You can do this!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're three days or more out from drinking. If you were going to have Dts or seizure, you would be also having other withdrawal symptoms. Mine were hot and cold flashes, shaking, stomach hurting, zero appetite, foggy head, weakness and fatigue....

Just remember the longer you go on drinking, the more likely it is that you will go through a withdrawal. Hard liquor does a number on you physically and mentally the more often you partake. I was drinking every couple of nights whiskey and coke for four years straight. Don't be like that and wait until you're withdrawing. Try to stay quit...especially since you now know how scary it can be if you were to continue drinking. It can and will kill you. Be kind.to your body and love yourself. It is the only one you have!

Definitely see your doctor.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

UPDATE!!!

Saw my GP; he seemed to think it's unlikely I'll have any severe withdrawals, and I told him my last drink was Saturday night. This was completely honest; nothing was hidden. He's told me to finish the Librium, and has prescribed ANTI-DEPRESSANTS?!?!

Why would he give me those? I was wanting more Librium? My usual GP wasn't there, so if anyone else thinks I should seek a second opinion, please let me know.

My only withdrawal symptoms (so far) is a craving.... And I also feel quite energetic? Like cleaning my house etc?

Last edited by am658; 11-24-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

EDIT

He had the full report of my A&E visit and the ED Dr's recommendations
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go with what was recommended.

Be patient. It's going to be okay. It's common to feel "speedy" in early sobriety.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well it's now 08:30 UK time and I got no sleep last night... Maybe a little "dozing" but that's it. My body clock is f*cked up from the two trips to A&E for my stomach pain and my friends 21st.

I also realize this is alcohol withdrawal (although I thought the Librium would help?)

Strange thing is, right now I feel FULL of energy!! It's been 16hrs since I last slept! But then again at 21, it shouldn't be a problem

So at 09:00 I'm off to collect my new meds (Diazepam and Sertraline) (If anyone has any advice on those meds, that would be great!)

Then I'm going to the optometrist and painting my room with the money I've saved from giving up drink
Old 11-25-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey am658,

glad you are feeling better! We are not allowed to give medical advice. All I will advise is that you follow the instructions provided by your doctor when taking those medications.

Keep updating us!