Notices

Holidays and making the right choices

Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holidays and making the right choices

I know holidays present tough times for those of us with alcohol problems, so I am sure the "holidays and how to cope" topic has been done a thousand times! I am new though so wanted to bring it up.

How do you all that are in recovery cope? What are some choices you've made that have helped you be successful to remain sober?

I made the decision and followed through today to cancel the Thanksgiving plans I had with a dear friend and her big, very extended family. They are big drinkers and alcohol is a major presence at all their functions. While this thrilled me when I socialized with them before, I realize I am setting myself up for failure to continue with this plan. I have been honest with this dear friend about my situation so she understands why my family and I are backing out this year. They have such a large group, I am sure we won't be missed.

Fortunately, we were also invited by other friends to share the holiday with them. Neither have had an alcohol problem, but choose not to drink. Alcohol will obviously not play a central role in the celebration. Another plus is that our sons are best buddies. So we are going this route this year.

I must say, I am proud I made this choice. I know with certainty had I gone with plan A, I would have had a glass of wine...then another and another and I would be starting all of this horror again.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's an ongoing thread with some suggestions here Ladyloo

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

sounds like you're already making some great healthy choices

Rest assured there'll be support advice and understanding here right across the Festive Season

D
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Ladyloo, good choice for the holidays. I found it important not to be around alcohol for a few months into my sobriety.