Notices

I'm in huge pain...

Old 11-19-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm in huge pain...

Hi folks...

I don't even know where to start. Right now, I'm emotionally and mentally crashed. Still drinking, and now it is every day because of symptoms of withdrawal (horrible nightmares and night sweats). The last time I went without a drink for longer than 2 days was probably a couple of weeks ago. I recently moved to a new town to try to study at university (I'm 23 years of age right now), and it has been going downhill ever since. Missing classes, generally not caring about anything, waking up in the afternoon and all the rest of it. I honestly can't believe what a desaster I have made of myself and my life. This is such a horrible drug. I do want to quit and live a sober and happy life once again, but I don't really know how to do it. I'm from Germany, by the way. I'm sorry to be bladdering away, but I don't know what to do.

Thanks for reading this anyway!
Old 11-19-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not seeing a Dr about withdrawal DarkDespair?

You need a break in this cycle - continuing to drink will not help your despair.

D
Old 11-19-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I kept up drinking to avoid the withdrawal too. But it has to end sometime. You can't keep going like this.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The hard part is going to be dealing with your withrawl in a safe way so if you feel you need to see a doctor to watch you then do it.

The easy part will be to stop drinking after you get over the withdrawal. There is only one person inside of your body and if that person decides not to drink then your body will not consume alcohol.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi DarkDespair, I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling. I agree with the advice you've given, to seek medical help if needed. You're still in school, and you still have the chance to turn things around. We're here to help and support you.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you ask your doctor for help, you will be able to get past that panicky withdrawal with some medication for a few days, most likely.

That said, I just quit without medical intervention. I didn't know it could have been dangerous. I survived. It was uncomfortable for several days with all the sweating and anxiety and panicky feelings and unable to sleep. That's kind of par for the course.

Bite the bullet and get it over with, then enjoy your college experience.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

thanks a lot for your replies and for caring, it means a lot to me. It's 3 in the morning here in Germany and I feel wide awake, after having 3,5 litres of beer. Not a good sign, I know. I'm actually not at school anymore but at university, don't know what you call that in the US of A. I generally don't have a sense of purpose in life and feel totally disorganised and discontented with everything. Probably one of the reasons why I keep drinking. I don't want to end up homeless, but I fear if I continue this madness, it will be that way.

Thanks for caring!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The alcohol is making your brain psychotic. This is not who you really are. It only gets worst trust me I know been the rehab 9x! I just could not get it that this thing is progressive and I can not control it or drink safely? Last straw 3 days ago had been drinking for days... last day I wanted to go to a hotel and co it suicide thx God I passed out b4 I could do it. Today ( only 3 days) I do not want to co it suicide I want to live and I want to fight and win my life back! The could thing hanging out on here and actually posting and reading has restored my hope. Your young forget school right now get sober first because without being sober more than likely you won't finish anyway. The only reason I'm saying that I kept putting my healthcare career ahead of putting some serious time into recovery. Like leaving rehab early not following through on outpt treatment, not attending meetings all because " I have to be at work" well guess what o was told anything I put b4 my sobriety I would loose and that's just what happened. I lost 2 great jobs , fired due to drinking. 2 duis, disorderly conduct and lost relationships and respect from others and respect for myself. Not me not no one who has ever known me would of ever believed this would be my life. Go to a detox , don't suffer withdrawl , go to the er. If u can't stand the withdrawl good possibility u will drink just for relief.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Many of us found ourselves in similar positions, you are not alone. I also drank quite a bit while at university in the USA, in fact that's where I learned how to binge drink. Unfortunately, I didn't quit when I was younger, and waited until I was 36 to finally stop.

You have a great opportunity to get your life back on track - it might be difficult at first, but many of us have kicked the drink and are much better for it. Do you have any plans on how to stop drinking? Do you have a plan of any kind? Some people think that getting a plan together is the first step: visualize it. How will you accomplish this task?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will end up in the hospital if you don't quit drinking. Your body is going through withdrawals. That will make you weak and tired in between drinking. Then your body starts acting haywire because you are malnourished and exhausted. Do you sleep good generally? My guess is probably not. The withdrawals do suck. I did it at home, but looking back I should have gone to see a doctor. I do feel better, but I have to take nexium everyday and tramadol for headaches, because any regular aspirin or (nsaids) pain reliever irritates my stomach and makes me sick. That is the damage drinking has done to my stomach. Once those withdrawals subside and you focus on resting, eating mild foods, and drinking tons of water, you will feel like a new person. The weeks will start to pass and you will have started a new habit. They say it takes two weeks to get over a bad habit by replacing it with a better one. All that I know is that the longer you spend not drinking, the more clear things can get.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're not alone. I have to stop drinking or I'll never get through university and I love my chosen field, it's the most important thing in the world to me and I'm letting alcohol slowly take things I love away from me.
You can do this, get the booze out of your system so you can think straight.
Xoxo
Old 11-23-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

is there a health clinic on campus? try there.....
Old 11-23-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the good news: you have excellent insight to your (our) problem at the age of 23. if you fix it now, remember to thank yourself when you're 43. you will be VERY grateful.

talk to a doctor. live your life. you can win this.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear Dark Despair,

If you haven't gone to the hospital for detox, call someone to take you. Do you still have any contact numbers from AA? Call them or your local Central AA office. Let someone take you, even if you have to drink on the way there. Don't think about anything else except getting to the hospital. My prayers are with you.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dear Dark Despair

If you haven't gone to the hospital for detox, call someone to take you. Do you still have any contact numbers from AA? Call them or your local Central AA office. Let someone take you, even if you have to drink on the way there. Don't think about anything else except getting to the hospital. My prayers are with you.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Quit drinking. Its the cause of all your problems.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey folks...

thanks a lot for your responses and your support. Means a lot to me, very very much. So day one again...this is insanity at it's finest...my disabled sister just turned 18 and I can't remember half the night (we went out to a party with her to celebrate...). I hate what I've become so much...it seems almost unbearable. Well, I figure that there are only two ways about this crap. Continue the misery or quit for good. But the first days are so hard...I'm actually not new to this forum, I had posted in the summer of 2013, where I managed to get 3 and a half months of sobriety under my belt...****, sorry for rambling guys. I'm a desaster, emotional-wise.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDespair View Post

I'm actually not new to this forum, I had posted in the summer of 2013, where I managed to get 3 and a half months of sobriety under my belt
that proves that you can do it yet again

I fell just short of 3 years of sobriety twice in my life
even though I was back dancing with the liquid devil
I knew that I could get sober -- I had done it before

sure felt good when I finally got 3 years sober
yes, it was a record of sober time for me
just got 7 years the other day
believe me -- if alcoholic -- sobriety is the best life for us

MM
Old 11-30-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDespair View Post
Hi folks...

I don't even know where to start. Right now, I'm emotionally and mentally crashed. Still drinking, and now it is every day because of symptoms of withdrawal (horrible nightmares and night sweats). The last time I went without a drink for longer than 2 days was probably a couple of weeks ago. I recently moved to a new town to try to study at university (I'm 23 years of age right now), and it has been going downhill ever since. Missing classes, generally not caring about anything, waking up in the afternoon and all the rest of it. I honestly can't believe what a desaster I have made of myself and my life. This is such a horrible drug. I do want to quit and live a sober and happy life once again, but I don't really know how to do it. I'm from Germany, by the way. I'm sorry to be bladdering away, but I don't know what to do.

Thanks for reading this anyway!
It is a horrible drug more reasons to keep going to try and quit.

alcohol made a complete mess of my life just in 5 years,

I was a professional athlete, and ended up homeless for peroids because of this messed up legal drug.

I am lucky i am fighting back and have a partner and child who are there every step and I am not going to ruin it.

U can do it, get support and make a plan. Keep at it buddy and good luck.