Notices

4 years later and still one day at a time

Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 years later and still one day at a time

Hi everyone, I will be 4 years sober on December 10th. Idle hands have got the alcoholic in me stirred up. Although i remind myself I am an alcoholic daily, every once in awhile I get these crazy ideas that I may be different now or have changed and am not who I once was. I know I am an alcoholic and will be for life. That will never change. But these damn thoughts in my head ahhhhhh!!!!!!! I am frustrated at the moment and just needed to tell someone or do something. I still live life one day at a time. My sober buddy asked me the other day, "shouldn't you be able to finally sit back and enjoy life?" I told him I didn't know. I have to stay busy all the time. I am constantly working on some kind of project. When I am idle, bad thoughts arise. In the movie 28 days Sandra Bullock says "what kind of person can't be alone with their own thoughts?" ME! Anyway my question to you all is, Have any of you been able to finally just sit back and enjoy life?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have - I'm not sure why you haven't tho spent?
do you like your sober life?

D
Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

This is why I go to AA. The obsession and compulsion has been lifted
Old 11-15-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yeah! It's been three years and I've been totally comfortable with not drinking for a while now. I still think about smoking pot occasionally but that's gotten better as well. To be honest, I still think about drinking one day at a time, starting with giving thanks for not having a hangover every morning. It used to drive me to the brink of insanity but not any more.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm closing in on two years and I haven't thought about alcohol much at all in the last year. Sure I still get the occasional reminder from visual cues at the store, on tv etc. but nothing that runs my mind rampant.

I find that not getting too involved with groups and such has helped me think about it less but many other people here think that a group is necessary. Which way have you been going? Do you do groups or just go it alone?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done for your upcoming 4 years in december
Old 11-15-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have - I'm not sure why you haven't tho spent?
do you like your sober life?

D
Well, maybe not. Im not sure. Good question.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
I'm closing in on two years and I haven't thought about alcohol much at all in the last year. Sure I still get the occasional reminder from visual cues at the store, on tv etc. but nothing that runs my mind rampant.

I find that not getting too involved with groups and such has helped me think about it less but many other people here think that a group is necessary. Which way have you been going? Do you do groups or just go it alone?
i've been going it alone. I went to AA for a couple of months after leaving treatment. But the last 3 years i have just been trying to stay as busy as possible.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

18 months, and I hardly ever think about alcohol. My life is full, but not so full that I don't have time for quiet moments. AA -- especially Steps 7 and 9 -- have helped me develop an entirely new attitude, outlook, and demeanor.

Four years is quite an accomplishment! I am truly sorry that it has not been more enjoyable. Perhaps some more work??

Jwalker
Old 11-15-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

no wonder you're spent!
4 years of being as busy as possible in order not to think of something sounds pretty hellish.
yes, i can sit back and enjoy. not always nd not constantly, of course, life can throw stuff at me or others, but...yeah, i can be with myself not-busy.
in a way it sounds like you're doing an escape-trick, only now using busyness instead of drinking....
you have 24 posts in one-and-a-half years...are you basically doing this all by yourself?
getting connected with and engaging with other alcoholics has been a mainstay for me and esp. useful in learning how to discern the lies in the crazy thoughts.
i'm not afraid of them; they're thoughts, they come and they go and don't mean i have to DO anything.
if you look around here, you'll find quite a few threads talking about how different people deal with the thoughts they don't like. maybe check them out, or start a new thread with that topic if that's where you might be interested in getting input on....
Old 11-16-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One of the reasons why I appreciate this site is that it is a place for me to check in on a daily basis. I don't always post a new thread or a reply but I always check in and read what is going on with other people. It helps me put my life in perspective as well as gives me ideas on ways to improve my sober journey. I also had to learn to be alone with myself and my thoughts...it took time and I did it in little chunks.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spent31 View Post
Hi everyone, I will be 4 years sober on December 10th. Idle hands have got the alcoholic in me stirred up. Although i remind myself I am an alcoholic daily, every once in awhile I get these crazy ideas that I may be different now or have changed and am not who I once was. I know I am an alcoholic and will be for life. That will never change. But these damn thoughts in my head ahhhhhh!!!!!!! I am frustrated at the moment and just needed to tell someone or do something. I still live life one day at a time. My sober buddy asked me the other day, "shouldn't you be able to finally sit back and enjoy life?" I told him I didn't know. I have to stay busy all the time. I am constantly working on some kind of project. When I am idle, bad thoughts arise. In the movie 28 days Sandra Bullock says "what kind of person can't be alone with their own thoughts?" ME! Anyway my question to you all is, Have any of you been able to finally just sit back and enjoy life?
To many people Meditation sounds silly, but it does teach you to control your mind and also would help when you have idol time with your own thoughts. Try it, practise at home, it takes time but well worth the benefits.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thats a tough way to live. Have you ever tried visualizing your thoughts? Here is what I did to calm my mind:

I imagined myself in a clean room. Bright lights, white walls, white floor. Each of my thoughts is a block. About a cubic foot in size. I would bend down, pick one up and examining it all over. Asking myself questions about the thought. What is this thought? Why am I having it? Should I be? Can I do anything about it? And so on. I would give myself 10 minutes to deal with it. After that I had two choices. I could put the box away because it was taken care of or I put it back down to revisit later. At which time I had to do something else for a while. Read a book, watch tv, whatever. But, what I couldnt do was continue with the thought. I did this exercise over and over until it became a habit. Obsessional thinking can be changed.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

hi spent - good going on no booze for the upcoming 4 year mark! sounds like it's been tough though.....

i spent the first few years of my sober life doing it alone and i was miserable and made everyone around me miserable. but i didn't drink and i'm soooo grateful for that.

i finally got into a 12 step program, initially CR then on to AA, and my life really began to change. you see i had taken care of the alcohol part now i needed to take care of the 'ism' part. alcoholism is a physical, mental and spiritual disease and i needed to address the whole package. i can't imagine accomplishing this alone. whether it's meetings, SR, readings - whatever tools we use ultimately come from outside ourselves which equals = not alone!

i recently heard 12 step recovery defined as Peer Support Rehab. if left to my own devises the squirrels in my head just spin faster and faster and i know i would pick up again. whereas sharing and caring with others who know the struggle..... well, i know joy today and yes i thrive on alone time!

BTW, today is my 17th anniversary sober. and i am joyous, happy and free one day at a time with a large circle of support! it can be done - sober and happy! (and it is still one day at a time but most days without a struggle.)

best of luck to you. i think it's great you are identifying that although you are sober you want something more and right before your anniversary too. don't go it alone, that's the hard way.....

Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

One of the step five promises: we can be alone at perfect peace and ease. That came true for me.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey spent31-

Have any of you been able to finally just sit back and enjoy life?
For me, I do still battle things a bit and it's been 15 months for me. It's not that I don't enjoy life, however it sometimes feels that perhaps not quite as much as when I drank. I guess it's the social stuff that I miss, which is more prevalent during different times of the year.

However, I do still feel much better then when I was drinking in most areas. I don't have to deal with all of the stuff that comes with being a heavy drinker. IE: Shakes, fatigued, etc.. So, I do feel better off, although not in every single way, but that can change with more time.

Congrats on the four years. That's a huge feat indeed!

Lusher

**Side note: Congrats to Lovenjoy for the 17 years!!! In a word, "wow." I can't even imagine myself at that stage (yet).
Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just like when I wake up each morning
to start a new sober day, I turn the lights
on, drink my coffee, connect to SR, share
my ESH here with others, brush my teeth,
dress, eat, watch tv, tend to my gardens,
and so on, so do I live and breath recovery.

From day one I learned a recovery program
taught to me for my alcohol addiction and
illness, consisting of steps and principles
to incorporate in my everyday affairs as a
guideline to help me remain sober day in
and day out.

Many of my days consisted of going to
at least one meeting a day listening,
learning, absorbing, applying and eventually
passing on many helpful suggestions and
tools to the newcomer to give them hope
that living a recovery program can grant
us happy, healthy, honest lives to enjoy
for years to come.

That is where I am today. Thank you AA
and my HP from Above.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Sit back and enjoy life? Absolutely. It started when I realized I could decide to not drink again, no matter what, and never change my mind. It hit a high point soon after when I did just that. What an incredible feeling of relief knowing that those days of misery were over and done with for good.

Sober since August 2011, and things get better all the time.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think MIRecovery says it best.

AA is both a program of recovery and a lifestyle for me.

The 11th step instructs me to try to learn and do God's will all day long.

That's what I (generally) try to do.

It's simple, but not always easy (like picking cotton, I am told).
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I'm at 2.5 years in a few weeks. I do the same thing. Sometimes I think I could drink now... but it usually always passes. This weekend at a friends house we were making an early thanksgiving meal, having a good time, and a story came up about one time when we were out before I quit drinking. They were laughing about all the dumn things I was doing (including vomiting several times) and I had absolutley no recollection. I was mortified. It was tough, but exaclty the reminder I needed. Now i'm promptly back in my place knowing that drinking and I just can't jive.