Notices

Checking in

Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

I haven't posted for a while but still check in here every day. I'm on day 21 of no alcohol. My last stint with alcohol scared me silly and I haven't touched a drop since. I woke up the morning after with a nasty cut/scrape the size of a dime smack in between my eyes and had no recollection of how or when it happened... My mind was reeling thinking what if it was one of my eyes? What if I had knocked myself out unconscious? With the amount of alcohol in my system I may not have survived a concussion. For the next week seeing that in the mirror every day was a very clear reminder of just how dangerous this disease is.
For those who are new or don't remember me (I'm fairly quiet on this forum) im a binge drinker. In this last year it really escalated for the worse and I was lucky if I could string together 3 days of sobriety most times.
This time around I have been reading some books that I find very helpful. Under the influence, beyond the influence and 7 weeks to sobriety (mentioned in beyond the influence) there are excerpts from under the influence in the stickies on this forum. Learning about the psysiological side of alcoholism has helped me tremendously. I knew drinking was really bad for my body but these books explain in a very detailed and clear way exactly what is going on in an alcoholics body when they drink and what happens when one stops. In my personal experience so far all of the professional help I've received focuses only on psychological reasons I could be drinking. This left me feeling like I was a weak willed lazy loser every time I relapsed and I was losing hope.
The books do emphasize the importance of diet while in recovery and working closely with your dr on this. I got another blood test and found a couple vitamin deficiencies so my dr recommended some good supplements.
Anywho everyone's path to sobriety is different and I just wanted to share what's working for me so far. I'm still seeing my addiction therapist and I'm hoping that in combination of repairing the damages I've done to my body as best I can will strengthen my sober muscles.
I will also be participating on here more often because I can use all the support I can get
Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thank you for posting what is going on with you, it has helped me today to stay sober!!

Big hugs to you!! 21 days is a milestone to me.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 21 sober days, Hawks.

Those books sound great. Recognizing and realizing what alcohol does to our bodies can be scary business, can't it?!

Power on, Hawks. Great to hear that you are doing well.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Good to see you Hawk. You offer so much with your thoughts and experience and I look forward to catching up on the goings on. Sorry to read there was a rough patch but glad you are taking care of yourself and here posting now.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawk07 View Post
I haven't posted for a while but still check in here every day. I'm on day 21 of no alcohol. My last stint with alcohol scared me silly and I haven't touched a drop since. I woke up the morning after with a nasty cut/scrape the size of a dime smack in between my eyes and had no recollection of how or when it happened... My mind was reeling thinking what if it was one of my eyes? What if I had knocked myself out unconscious? With the amount of alcohol in my system I may not have survived a concussion. For the next week seeing that in the mirror every day was a very clear reminder of just how dangerous this disease is.
For those who are new or don't remember me (I'm fairly quiet on this forum) im a binge drinker. In this last year it really escalated for the worse and I was lucky if I could string together 3 days of sobriety most times.
This time around I have been reading some books that I find very helpful. Under the influence, beyond the influence and 7 weeks to sobriety (mentioned in beyond the influence) there are excerpts from under the influence in the stickies on this forum. Learning about the psysiological side of alcoholism has helped me tremendously. I knew drinking was really bad for my body but these books explain in a very detailed and clear way exactly what is going on in an alcoholics body when they drink and what happens when one stops. In my personal experience so far all of the professional help I've received focuses only on psychological reasons I could be drinking. This left me feeling like I was a weak willed lazy loser every time I relapsed and I was losing hope.
The books do emphasize the importance of diet while in recovery and working closely with your dr on this. I got another blood test and found a couple vitamin deficiencies so my dr recommended some good supplements.
Anywho everyone's path to sobriety is different and I just wanted to share what's working for me so far. I'm still seeing my addiction therapist and I'm hoping that in combination of repairing the damages I've done to my body as best I can will strengthen my sober muscles.
I will also be participating on here more often because I can use all the support I can get

That is so ironic. After my last drinking binge 14 days ago, I woke up with a nasty scrape on my chest the size of a quarter. It has taken now 2 weeks to get better. I had to tell a white lie to other people of how I got it, and I told them that my sister's dog scraped me. I am going to look into that book Under The Influence.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back Hawk07

D
Old 11-15-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey! Congrats! Almost a month!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks Hawk! That is great!!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Get ittt! Good job. I probably need to take a blood test. I'm sure I have deficiencies..
Old 11-15-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Must be a Hawk thang.

I got a few scrapes around the old melon too.

Flying too close to the ground... Perhaps?

Welcome back
Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Get ittt! Good job. I probably need to take a blood test. I'm sure I have deficiencies..
Old 11-15-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hawk we're always happy to see you. 3 wks. is wonderful.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you guys! You always make one feel warm and welcome here. Justbreath, I think it's a great book to read in recovery. Check out the excerpts in the stickies on this forum. LOL Hawks, yea alcohol and flying don't mix.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No, no they don't.

Sober Hawks seem to manage the odd half decent one though