Notices

AA and the higher power

Old 11-11-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA and the higher power

AA doesn't work. I don't believe in this higher power. If it did, the man up there would have listened to my prayers, cries and screams years back. But he didn't listen and made me worse.

Yes, he made worse by not listening. Instead of blessing me; he cursed me.

I will prove it on Thursday when my endocrinologist sends me away again.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It takes more than prayer.

A series of actions (steps) is what it's all about.

"I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs."

Frederick Douglass
Old 11-11-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Right. I call those "flare prayers" - the ones I would say when I was in trouble.

The trick is once I asked, I then needed to listen. I had to do certain things in order for good to come my way.

Prayer is believing, faith. Looking for good, and seeking discernment.

You know what you need to do. Since you have been given free will - you have to make the next right choice. Eventually a bunch of right choices equal success.

You already have a Higher Power. It is the Higher part of you, the Higher part of nature, the goodness in everything. Seek it.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I started my AA journey in a similar way. AA probably won't work. I didn't believe in a higher power because I had never experienced any miracles, just like you.

Of course, as God didn't exist, I could hardly blame Him for my problems. They were of my own making for the most part which is why I was full of guilt and remorse. There was no one to blame but me.

Then I was faced with another problem. I didn't seem to be able to fix myself. If I could have, I would have. What was I to do? Perhaps I had to at least open my mind a little to spiritual concepts. After all I was sitting in a room full of happy smiling AA members who had found a way out and they were quite good proof against my argument that AA probably doesn't work.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My Creator gave me the choice to drink and ruin my life, a choice I made every time I put that handle of smirnoff to my face. He also gave the tools I needed to quit drinking. The rest was up to me.

I don't think this is a question of whether AA 'works', BH28. The question is 'Does AA work for you?'. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, it is up to you to answer this for yourself. How does this answer direct your behaviour?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

whatever happened to god helps those who help themselves?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
If you don't believe in a higher power, then how can you believe he made you worse? Can't have it both ways.

Good news is, you absolutely can quit drinking regardless of your beliefs regarding a higher power.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I should probably mention.

I was a card carrying Atheist for 30 odd years (I'm 42 now)

Just part of the rebellious nature of alcoholism I guess.

Suggest I should turn right and I'd turn left just to spite.

Carl Jung the famous psychiatrist said "spiritus contra spiritum "

In other words... Good spirit conquers bad spirit

The clue that opened me up was that the strongest alcoholic beverages are called "Spirits "...... Alcoholic folk tend to be looking for spirituality all along..... But it's the bad spirit that we find out is in the bottle.

Alcohol provides a pseudo spiritual experience
Old 11-11-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Hawks
I was a card carrying Atheist for 30 odd years (I'm 42 now)

Just part of the rebellious nature of alcoholism I guess.

Suggest I should turn right and I'd turn left just to spite.
This is interesting to me. I fully embraced my atheism only after I became sober almost 8 years ago. Until I quit, I never had the confidence to examine my beliefs very deeply. I mainly looked to others to tell me what I should believe. I always felt unsettled. Now, I feel at peace.

I wouldn't consider atheism "rebellious". It is just a belief system. Why would you frame it as such, Hawks?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

God can move mountains!
I need to grab a shovel.......

:

Very few of us have a road to Damascus type experience. Mine is of the learned, educational variety - when alcohol is removed from the equation, the conduit through the Holy Spirit get's opened up. At least, this has been my experience.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bh28, I think many people who successfully use 12-step programs don't take the HP as something esoteric or supernatural. There were many threads discussing these individual views here on SR, look them up. I would not reject an otherwise beneficial program (if it is so) just because of this.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe the Man upstairs hears ALL cries
and praises. I believe He helps all who help
themselves in one way or another.

Did I blame Him each and everytime I
was beat by the hand of a sick parent?
Did I blame Him for all the ridicule and
cruelty of my classmates?

I was raised and schooled in a Catholic
upbringing, so I always believed in God
of my understanding.

No, Im no holy roly or a bible thumper
or an on going church member. However,
being in recovery I have a more enriched
spiritual understanding of God.

I recall many times during my illness,
addiction and after, times I cried, screamed
to the hilt wondering why my HP wasn't
granting me relief from failures, dishonesty,
and so much more.

Then, in recovery I learned that my HP
wasn't gonna grant me anything in my
time. That it had to happen in His. When
He saw fit to help me. Until then, I worked
on my recovery, remain sober, burned my
hands a few more times and turn my will
and life over to Him day after day.

Yes, He has heard my cries. Yes He has
blessed me. Yes, He cares and guides me
with every step I take each and every day.

Today, it's not about what I want in life
but rather what I need from Him. Yes, I
place my trust and dependence on Him
to keep me safe, sober, happy, healthy
and honest along with a solid recovery
foundation Ive built my life upon.

Of course, this is how I live my life
and recovery each day.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The higher power part of AA hung me up for years too. I have never been religious. I am a scientist, so I cannot say God or Gods do or do not exist, just I haven't necessarily seen it myself.

However, if you read Step 2 and Step 3, it was worded specifically to be open ended and for the individual to decide what their higher power is.

2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

So as I work the program, I use my higher power that I had lost when I became a full blown alcoholic - my connection with nature and the world around us. My higher power is mother nature. By returning to what drove me through life to begin with (a passion for science and biology) I am restoring my sanity without the need to accept a God or religion. Some would argue science is a religion, and thus by looking at it that way, mother nature is my god. *shrug*

Find a higher power that suits you. It doesn't have to be God, or Zues.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AA isn't the only way to go. There are other programs out there that can help, too. Perhaps you could try Rational Recovery or SMART?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
This is interesting to me. I fully embraced my atheism only after I became sober almost 8 years ago. Until I quit, I never had the confidence to examine my beliefs very deeply. I mainly looked to others to tell me what I should believe. I always felt unsettled. Now, I feel at peace.

I wouldn't consider atheism "rebellious". It is just a belief system. Why would you frame it as such, Hawks?
It just was what it was at the time.

"magic sky fairies gonna help with a drink problem? ..... Ahahaha.... Good luck with that you Goofs"

Until one day, when all other lines had been exhausted, I cried out to the God of my childhood.

And zap.... I didn't want to drink anymore.

I later failed to enlarge on my spiritual life and old ideas supplanted new.

So 4 more years of drinking and then another cry for help.

Zap... I don't want to drink anymore. (although that doesn't mean I don't think about it, just that the obsession has been removed)

Two saves in one lifetime.... Power greater than me?

Obviously... The power to solve my drinking problem wasnt in me.

I have decades of historical evidence to support that.

Your mileage may vary.

If it's working keep doing it.

I can only share my experience, as you have
Old 11-11-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well put, Flynbuy and aasharon.

I try hard to look for God, to turn my will, my sobriety and my life over to God and to learn and do God's will on a daily/hourly basis.

So far, I have gotten better and haven't had to drink since I first asked for help.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i to was puzzled when i would hear people sharing in meetings how they prayed to god and got saved etc
they are telling people that all they need to do is pray and believe in a god and you will be saved

then to further muddy the waters if things turn out bad no matter how much you pray there is a nice answer for it and its sometimes the answer is no

to me its all one sided and a bit of a twisted slanted argument so i had to try to find what on earth has worked for me as i don't believe in a god and never will believe in one

from my side of the street i see a lot of people in aa who still kept there wives and familys and jobs and they put that down to a loving kind god that saved them from losing it all as though it some sort of miracle

i don't believe that at all i believe people are either lucky or unlucky in this world and it depends on each and everyone of us as to how far down we go before we start to take it serious

i have seen to much pain and suffering to innocent kids to ever believe there is such a kind loving being out there that has a power to save them but will not do so, try as hard as i can to try to put those things out of my mind and try to see if there is anything i am missing i just can not see past the cruelty and painful way these kids die

when it comes to aa and higher power thing i know i have to lose my own will and give in to some sort of guidance
i get that guidance from the meetings and the people who share honestly with me tonights meeting was all about how we have to cope with other people and there ways and how wrong it is for me to demand everythng has to be done my way etc

i dont need to follow a gods will to live my life trying not to be so selfish and demanding etc i just need to see that i am like that and to try to not do it the next time anything comes up

so the idea behind the higher power i can or i do have an understanding of it in terms of me having to lose my own self will as its such a destructive force inside of me and thats sober not drunk

so for me i am growing along spiritual lines not a god type religion line were i need to pray for it

but i do not tell anyone that they can not believe in a god or demand people don't believe in a god or anything like.

believe whatever you want to believe and if the op doesnt believe in a god thats ok aa will still work if you let it help you
Old 11-11-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
AA doesn't work. I don't believe in this higher power. If it did, the man up there would have listened to my prayers, cries and screams years back. But he didn't listen and made me worse.

Yes, he made worse by not listening. Instead of blessing me; he cursed me.

I will prove it on Thursday when my endocrinologist sends me away again.
What exactly were the prayers,cries, and screams for?
I'm not that smart but how can an endocrinologist send you away and where is away?

How did he make you worse?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"magic sky fairies gonna help with a drink problem? ..... Ahahaha.... Good luck with that you Goofs"
Well that kind of mindset you had does not define all atheists. I would never belittle another's beliefs.

I quit drinking and have made a good life for myself. No higher power involved. Just me and the power of my loved ones and friends that I lean on and am leaned on by.

I am glad that your higher power works in your life. I respect that. I just wanted you to realize that not all of us who don't rely on a higher power are being rebellious or are "in a phase" or will someday see the light. I am very happy that you have been relieved of your addiction. You and I are not different in knowing that pain, are we?

To the OP, what secular methods have you looked into to end your addiction? Also, there are many atheists who successfully work the program of AA. Have you looked into that?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just a couple days ago you said you walked out of a meeting and bought a bottle of vodka....don't you think you had a part in that?