Notices

Is this symptom related to alcohol or not?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this symptom related to alcohol or not?

I was drinking for last 14 months every day. But 3 months ago I was also diagnosed with chronic sinusitis (it's like infection in nasal cavity, which lasts for months).

And I'm not sure if this symptom is related to alcohol or sinusitis, because it fits both? I'm feeling like I'm not in my body, like I'm not present. Like I was watching everything from far away, I was somewhere deep in my head. And I was just observing what's going on around me, but I wasn't part of it. This feeling lasts for about 2 - 3 months in row and 24 hours a day. Even when I wake up in the night.

I stopped drinking 11 days ago but I'm still feeling the same. Maybe little bit better, but it's probably placebo effect.

Did somebody experience this symptom in connection with drinking alcohol?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

See your doctor. After poisoning ourselves and the constant dehydration no symptom surprises me. Let us know what u find out.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From my personal experience the best thing to get rid of a chronic sinus problem is a sinus rinse. Over the counter, can be purchased at the drug store and do it twice a day. Everyday until it is gone. I know it is inexpensive, and not pleasant, but I swear by them. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndyFTH View Post

I stopped drinking 11 days ago but I'm still feeling the same. Maybe little bit better

Give it another month without a drink and see how you feel.

Many things do get better without the liquid devil being constantly introduced into our bodies and minds.

MM
Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

And I'm not sure if this symptom is related to alcohol or sinusitis, because it fits both? I'm feeling like I'm not in my body, like I'm not present. Like I was watching everything from far away, I was somewhere deep in my head. And I was just observing what's going on around me, but I wasn't part of it. This feeling lasts for about 2 - 3 months in row and 24 hours a day. Even when I wake up in the night.
I had that problem when i quit drinking. it was as if hte world was a show and i was merely a spectator watching it all go by. It was like everything was fake one big movie.

There is actually a phyciatric condition for it too I cant recall the name. In my case I think it was a way my mind decided to protect me from the onslaught of reality when i sobered up.

I'll be honest I rather enjoyed that state of mind. and I go back to it from time to time now. It went on for months for me after i sobered up. At first i was worried what if something is wrong with me but I got rather comfortable and happy to be in that place.

I dont know the right answer but what you decribe does sound like a real issue. The deeper meaning of why your in that situation I dunno. Maybe a therapist can help you unravel it.

I just went with it and it subsided.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds a bit like a state of derealization/depersonalization to me. I experienced that in the past as one of my reactions to the sweetener aspartame (it gave me terrible anxiety in forms that I never knew before) and during heavy hangovers that were combined with emotionally highly overwhelming situations. Never experienced it since I sobered.

I can imagine feeling weird like that also as an effect of sinus/ear infections. Definitely get treatment for those!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Speak to your doctor
Old 11-11-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Depersonalisation is, if not common, certainly not unheard of. If you're concerned please do have a chat with your Dr., Andy

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
From my personal experience the best thing to get rid of a chronic sinus problem is a sinus rinse. Over the counter, can be purchased at the drug store and do it twice a day. Everyday until it is gone. I know it is inexpensive, and not pleasant, but I swear by them. Good luck.
The other problem with this is, if you're not sure what you're doing you might make the infection worse not better. Ask me how I know

Do research it a little if you decide to do this Andy

D
Old 11-12-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is what it sounds like to me. I experienced it several years ago while coming off the Anti-Depression medication Amnitriptolene (sp).

A weird experience to say the least. Time slowed down to nothing, I felt I was in a dream world. The world around me was not real. I was frightened.

These "Episodes" would last for hours at first...then reduce to 5 - 10 minutes in the latter stages.

It occured a few more time with less severity than the last and after a while went way completely in a few weeks to 1 month.

I was told by the Doc...there is nothing "Life Threatning" about them. They are however somewhat disturbing.

A talk with your Doctor and a review of your current and recently past medications would be a good first step to address this issue.

Good Luck to you
Dave
Old 11-12-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

...and a after thought...At the time this happened (the above post) I was about 10 - `12 years sober.

Dave
Old 11-12-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This sounds like classic sinus infection to me. They don't really give me a piercing headache, but more like a fog / pressure situation. My eyes start to pinch shut and the fatigue is debilitating.

Sinus rinse / Neti Pot is a daily ritual for hundreds of millions. It really helps me in this situation.

Quitting the booze, and then quitting tobacco was the real answer for me.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
This sounds like classic sinus infection to me. They don't really give me a piercing headache, but more like a fog / pressure situation. My eyes start to pinch shut and the fatigue is debilitating.

Sinus rinse / Neti Pot is a daily ritual for hundreds of millions. It really helps me in this situation.

Quitting the booze, and then quitting tobacco was the real answer for me.
I'm having problems with sinusitis for last 5 - 6 months. I tried antibiotics, neti pot...nothing worked.

I quited smoking 2 months ago and alcohol 14 days ago. Do you think, that quiting tobacco and alcohol could make the trick?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would have your ENT do a thorough inner and middle ear exam.