Notices

Flying sober. Help?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flying sober. Help?

Hello all and Happy Veterans Day. Thank you to all who have served.

I am wondering if anyone else shares a crippling fear of airplanes? I am being forced on to a two hour flight and have had this fear since I was little. I actually skipped going on the last two vacations with my family and daughter and stayed home only because of the flying part. The last time I flew, I had to get as many shots in as possible hidden in a cup just to get on the plane. They were de-icing the wings and I was still freaking out.

I have been on over 29 flights and I know you can not get intoxicated on a plane. I also have been addicted to Benzo's due to PTSD and have severe panic disorder. I need help getting on this flight as I also have a young child who was just diagnosed with anxiety and now is saying she's not getting on the plane either (she hasn't heard me talk about my fear).

The flight is at 6am. So I can either get semi-hammered and feel like crap in 90 degree weather for the rest of the day or have a major freak out in the seat by my child who is also crying and freaking out. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Forced, huh. You in handcuffs? There's more options than that. Find 'em and take them.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of my favorite musicians of all time, the late Rory Gallagher got liver failure from mixing anti anxiety medication and drinking due to fear of flying later in his career. It killed him.

One time I had a very powerful dream that I was going to die on a plane when I was flying the next day. I had to go. I'm still here today. Even when I was a heavy drinker I avoided excessive drinking while flying because it didn't feel good, cost too much, and didn't help anything. Drinking for anxiety sets a terrible example for your daughter, who needs to develop a very specialized set of tools herself for that problem.

I guess that's rational, and anxiety isn't rational. There is excellent professional help for your condition. It's not uncommon. Listen to some Rory Gallagher. It might not solve your problem but he's one of the greatest guitarists ever, according to Jimi Hendrix!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I never had a fear of flying before I started to drink heavily. But hungover on an airplane... I had full blown panic attacks like that. It was very odd to me and I did not even make the link with my drinking habits initially. Jeez I was often even afraid of the subway or walking down a stairway... All this completely cleared up after some time sober.

Have you tried herbal tranquilizers? Therapy to teach you how to cope with this kind of anxiety?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you have this irrational fear, and know it, why haven't you addressed it. Why wait to just before a flight to post to a forum? I know there are therapists who treat psychological issues such as fear of flying and other phobias. See one when you return.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't leave for 5 more weeks.

I have PTSD, diagnosed. I have had many near-death experiences and one thing I have learned is that talking to a therapist is about the same as talking to my mom. It just doesn't work for me and wastes a lot of money.

When I was 13, had my first full blown panic attack. I didn't know what it was and it was before going on a plane to Cali. I wasn't drinking back then.

I just think dying in an airplane-related incident would be the worst way to go. I don't know what my problem is since it is so rare but I sit there the entire flight unable to breathe. It seems so stupid considering all the drunk driving I used to do (not proud of that) and how I probably cheated death so many times. I really don't know where I am going with this, it just seems like I am going to hyperventilate until I pass out if I don't drink.

Funny how my dad is the exact same way.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
I don't leave for 5 more weeks.
Well then, five weeks. If you aren't going to use the time to address your fears, use the time to come up with alternative transportation.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ask your doctor about atenolol. It's a beta blocker, no sedation or high. It mostly controls the racing heartbeats that trigger panic attacks, its frequently prescribed for stage fright. I know many folks who use it before major presentations to avoid melt downs. It's not addictive, I've taken it for years due to a very minor heart defect. It's very cheap. I have no side effects and a small dose will get you your flight.

You might also add some meditations to you iPod. I use some stress busters and counted breaths. I don't have a fear of flight or public speaking. But it works well for many people.

Check it out with your doctor. It's way better that Xanax which has rebound anxiety and is not a benzo. can't hurt to ask... I take 25 Mgs daily.

Hope this helps.

Love from Lenina
Old 11-11-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
I sit there the entire flight unable to breathe. ...it just seems like I am going to hyperventilate until I pass out if I don't drink.
But apparently you do breathe. And you can.

I had a period of terrible fear of flying around the time my father was dying and I had to take frequent trips to see him. I'd take a couple of xanax. Then I stopped being able to get the prescription, and I didn't like to drink on board because I had to rent a car in a strange place on arrival. So this is what I learned to do -- I act as if I'd taken the xanax.
  • I get a blanket and a pillow -- you used to be able to get them on board, now you have to bring your own.
  • I plug in headphones and listened to new age stuff I'd never listen to ordinarily.
  • I take two ibuprofens and then eat hard candy until we reach cruising altitude -- taking some kind of pill had become a ritual from the days of taking the benzos and it seems to soothe me. Tic tac work too!
  • I work on crossword puzzles from the time I sit down until cruising altitude -- I've been known to ask all the people around me for an un-filled in airplane magazine, but nowadays I always bring a couple just in case.
  • If I'm particularly anxious, I wear sunglasses throughout the flight.
In other words, I create a nest of peace and concentration for myself. You can do that for you & for your daughter -- she can have a headset and peaceful things that are appropriate for her age to focus on, and you can practice mindfulness games together.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Speak to your doctor be sensible
Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to have anxieties when I first got sober and they have pretty much gone away.

I know that I'm getting out of this world in a box, but I don't know how and when.

It may be in an aviation accident, it may be hitting a deer on an interstate or it could be slowly from a disease.

There is just no way for me to accurately predict my death, so I try to take good care of myself and not worry about it.

I would visit a psychiatrist and try to find another way of traveling.

Good luck with your travels.