Notices

Need advice

Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

By the above, I mean I have Twitter, but I don't have time. So my 400 and something followers somehow discredits me as being qualified against someone who is untrained but has all day and has amassed 2000-plus followers. I've lost work because of it and it depresses me, hence a reason to drink...
Old 11-11-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

The 1 thing I think anyone who wants to recover needs to accept is there's no reason good enough to drink on.

In one sense the twitterati may be leaving you and other guys'n'gals of your vintage behind, but drinking isn't closing that gap...

it's not making that better, it's making it worse, surely?

D
Old 11-11-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

As for how I feel today. Entering day four...finally withdrawal symptoms I had so far avoided are hitting me. I am shaking like a leaf.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Very true Dee74...just an excuse...
Old 11-11-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

FWIW I'm not in the twitter demographic - I prefer my news reports come with more than 140 characters

D
Old 11-11-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
By the above, I mean I have Twitter, but I don't have time. So my 400 and something followers somehow discredits me as being qualified against someone who is untrained but has all day and has amassed 2000-plus followers. I've lost work because of it and it depresses me, hence a reason to drink...
Being sober and doing something you love is so much better than being drunk and hungover trying to do the same. Stay sober, continue to feed yourself, do the work you love and maybe some day you can hire one of those firms that manages the social media to get you a bajillion likes and followers...if that is still important some day.

Welcome to SR, Journalist.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey I just wanted to throw in my two cents. There were some things in your posts that I have never read here before that I can so relate. I also have the stabbing (sometimes dull, sometimes not even there) pain under my right rib cage for about three years and I kept drinking every single day the same amount as you. I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with an inflamed liver. I thought I was too young because some people drink for 20 years and never get that but I got it after drinking about eight years.

Drinking just sucks in general and you'll feel so much better when you stop.

I can almost guarantee you that all of the symptoms you listed will go away with the stop drinking.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

How are you doing today journalist?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
How are you doing today journalist?
Same question.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

MelindaFlowers, SoberLeigh, I feel fine, but I'm an emotional wreck, like I'm on the brink of tears all the time.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yeah it's rough business going through it alone with no support. Hope this thread is helping! And even though I don't currently use AA, I did find it useful in the early goings - it at least gives you a safe place and can give you some kind of support.

Living in a foreign country myself, I have found that AA meetings in another language aren't that helpful - but, believe it or not, there are English-speaking groups all over the world. Just a thought!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It's definitely an emotional roller coaster for a while, Journalist, most especially in the beginning; it takes some time (seems different for everyone) but it does eventually stabilize.

Stay close to us; SR is here for you.

Did you receive tests results yet?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

You are doing it Journalist! You only have to go through this once. Hang in there.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi, Journalist.

Withdrawal looks a little different for everyone. For me, it was just an astonishing level of fatigue. The early days aren't easy but there are plenty of people here who've been through and lived to tell. I think what helps is to view them as transitional, the necessary gateway to a better life. That helped me considerably.

The other thing I would offer is this: It's OK to feel a wide range of emotions. If you want to cry, by all means do so. (I wish I was better at it.) But hold on tight to hope. It is the foundation for the better life that awaits you without booze.

There was a time I despaired; I wondered if I could ever be freed. Hope-fueled grit somehow got me through it. In three days, I'll reach my 15-month anniversary. It is within us all to recover, something we'll remind you whenever you need the support of your fellow journeyers.

We're here for you, Journalist. You can do this. You really can.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

A check-in, Journalist? Hope you're doing all right. One way or another, we're here for you. We know what it's like to hurt.

And I'm still game for that AP quiz.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hey so tests are all back. I have elevated liver enzymes and hypertension. Otherwise ok. Hope to leave here ASAP.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

BUT, no one warned me how utterly depressed and hopeless and regretful you feel. It is like every bad thing that ever happened to me is magnified and compounded.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Are the doctors going to treat your hypertension, Journalist? Are the hospital doctors aware that you are feeling depressed and hopeless; can you speak to someone about those feelings leave the hospital? These feelings may subside as your body continues to adjust to the removal of alcohol from your system but they should be discussed with your doctor if they persist.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Journalist, how are you?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm wondering how you are faring as well.

Earlyriser